“Not bad at all” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield

You added Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield to your Saves list
Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Denby Dale Road, Calder Grove, Wakefield WF4 3QZ, England   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Calder Grove
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“Not bad at all”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed here after the first night in a really bad hotel in the centre of Wakefield and it was very good indeed with an excellent nights sleep. Breakfast was OK with helpfull staff with plenty of choice.I am not sure that it would be worth full price but at the reduced rate it was very good value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Linda G, Guest Relations Manager at Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear David R

Thank you for your review I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had an excellents nights sleep. We hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Linda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
West Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I booked 2 rooms (1 person per room) for a 1-night stay and on arrival was pleased that the rooms were adjacent. Both rooms were twin-bedded which for me was a disappointment - for although I'm single I'm used to a king-size bed at home (the same bed situation as my friend who on this occasion was travelling without their partner) In all fairness the single bed was comfortable but unfortunately single beds with single duvets just don't get on well with me so I had rather a restless night. My restlessness was compounded by the noise of the 'early risers' (6am!) in one of the rooms next to mine and in the room above as they flushed toilets, ran showers etc. And then there were the door-slamming chatterers leaving their rooms and passing along the corridor! I must add that on previous stays I've been given a room with a generous double bed and I wasn't disturbed by flushing toilets etc so I guess I was just unfortunate this time. The room and bathroom were spotless and there was a good supply of tea, coffee etc with decent-sized mugs on the hospitality tray rather than the small cups generally found in other hotels . A note advised that fresh milk was available if preferred - a nice thought...as was the bottled water provided. Before going out for a meal we decided to use the spa facilities. Welcoming staff on the Health Suite reception. Spotless changing area. Pool was a comfortable temperature, the hydro-pool was lovely and warm but unfortunately the sauna was rather crowded as the steam room was out of order. I decided to get out of bed at 8am. Went to wet-shave and shower but the 'hot' water was barely lukewarm! Had to wait until almost 9am before the water was hot enough for me to 'ablute'! Having looked through the directory of facilities I was puzzled by the fact that there was no mention of the restaurant or dining times. My friend and I had agreed to go for breakfast at 09:30 and by chance he noticed at 09:25 that the dining times were shown on the inside of the key-card holder..and on Mon-Fri breakfast is available to 09:30 (10:30 Sat & Sun)! We raced to the restaurant only to find the staff clearing the tables (although there were a couple of families still finishing their breakfast. However, one of the female staff greeted us and reset a table for us...and we were fortunate that there was still a little of everything left for us to have a 'full-english'. The hot food containers were clearly labelled and the quality of the food was really good. Although the staff continued with their morning duties we weren't made to feel as though we should hurry our breakfast and leave. We really appreciated the service. Checking out was carried out by the recepetion staff in the same friendly and welcoming manner as checking in. It was nice to be given a friendly acknowledgement, too, from the house-keeping staff and even the painter/decorator! So, despite my rather restless night on the single bed, the 'sanitary water sounds', lack of hot water in the bathrom in the morning, the noise of less considerate guests with their door-slamming and chatter, and the 'out of use' steam room in the spa, I'll certainly stay at Cedar Court Wakefield again. Amen!

Room Tip: Solo travellers - ask for a room with a double bed if you're not used to a single.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jimzera

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and will visit again in the future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I had a one nights stay at this hotel as I had to stay in Wakefield for one night I thought I would try to pick out a hotel with spa facilities.

The hotel is about a £6 taxi ride away from the main train station or 2.8 miles.

The front staff were very helpful indeed, I didnt have breakfast on my booking but when I asked how much breakfast would be it turned out cheaper than on the Internet booking site I use.

The hotel room I stayed in was nice and had a warm feel to it and the tv is freeview.. The bathroom was very modern...but the shower head seemed a bit small for my liking and the bath itself had 3 unwanted hairs in it and let me tell you now they weren't from the head region.
I like views from my hotel room window and this had to be the worst view id ever had.

Room service. I tried to order room service a number of times and failed to get a response..finally I got one and placed my order which was a club sandwich and chunky chips. Ive got to say compared to some hotels club sandwiches and chips it was well worth the money the chunky chips were an amazing taste indeed.

Spa facilities.The changing rooms are terrible, really small, no space once three people were in. Pool was rather small but that was fine as i was only using the pool to cool down after I used the sauna and steamroom...the sauna was in the small side but worked very well...the steamroom was ok..but I have been in better and again it was on the small side. There is also a spa tub or jacuzzi which ever you want to call it..this was a very good tub and again I have used many. There was a gymnasium but I didn't use it, it looked like it had all the mod cons to it.

Breakfast. It was a little hard to find as it wasn't in the restaurant it was in one of the big function rooms. The breakfast itself was ok but nothing special, though..there was a good selection.

In all I had a good stay and if Im spending anytime again in Wakefield again I would stay there again.

Wakefield centre looks like its a good place for hen and stag parties with plenty of bars close on hand.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Mark G

All Feedback we receive is greatly appreciated and although I am pleased that you experienced a warm welcome I was also disappointed that you were not happy with other aspects of your stay. I will of course pass these comments onto our Senior Managers and indeed these matters will be looked into.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed 1 night for business. Reception staff were very friendly and overall a good nights sleep. HOWEVER, breakfast staff was rude, not attentive and very slow.

Hot breakfast wasn't labelled, serving spoons on the floor so I mentioned it to the staff and they were left for a good 10 minutes. You are asked if you would like tea or coffee which took 15 minutes and there were only 5 people at breakfast at the time. The hot food was of a very low standard and quality.

Perhaps, OK for a nights sleep but I would definately skip breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DearDanielW396
Thank you for your valuable feedback I was pleased to read that your were looked after by our Reception Staff and that you had a good nights sleep, although I was disappointed that you did not enjoy your breakfast experience, and will pass your comments onto senior management

Regads

Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in the hotel and we were very pleased with the comfort and friendliness of this hotel. The room we occupied was ideal for wheelchair users. Large floor area plenty of space to get in and out of bed. Wet room large and accessible. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They brought breakfast each day to the room. Our 2 dogs were made welcome at no extra cost. The grounds have large grassed areas for dog walking. The hotel is at the side of the very noisy M1 but the rooms were very quiet. During our 5 day stay we did not use the bar, restaurant or leisure facilities so we cannot comment on them.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Norden 34

Thank you for your great review it is always nice to recieve positive comments from our guests and I was pleased to read that you and your dogs enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope that your can stay with us again in the near future.

Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in April 2013 and found the room very nice and spacious. It was spotlessly clean, the bed was very comfortable and very warm! Although it was quite noisy throughout the night with people banging bedroom doors shut (there should be spring mechanisms on the doors to prevent this) and believe it or not we could hear someone in the next room snoring all night (walls must be very thin or they are extremely loud!!!). Breakfast was included in our stay. The first morning we went to breakfast we were directed to a table and just basically left! We were expecting someone to come and take our order for tea/coffee, toast etc but nothing materialised! So we decided to just fend for ourselves which was a bit off-putting. We had no cups for our tea/coffee and had to go looking for staff to get some, which then took a while to get them from the kitchen. There was plenty to choose from i.e. cereals, fruit, full english etc. As for the second morning at breakfast had we not already been the day before we wouldn't have had a clue because there was no staff in the dining room to greet us... we just helped ourselves again! On both mornings there was many many tables just left with dirty crockery etc where people had been sitting and not cleared away. There was guests coming for breakfast and couldn't find a clean table to sit at. This is not a very good look for the hotel and is very unprofessional. The staff at reception and in the bar were very friendly and efficient. After all of that we did enjoy our stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Durham Penelope

.All Feedback we receive is greatly appreciated and although I am pleased that your bedroom met with your expectations I was also disappointed that you were not happy with other aspects of your stay. I will of course pass these comments onto our Senior Managers and indeed these matters will be looked into.

northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have stayed here twice: once as a large party attending a wedding nearby and recently aa family over a cold Easter weekend. Both times we enjoyed good experienced. The rooms are of a good size, comfortable and quiet, with black-out curtains. Food is ok, breakfasts good but bar food and drinks expensive. The pool and gym are a great facility which we all used extensively (take own towels or pay 50p) Nearby by car are two good galleries: the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and the Hepworth at Wakefield, all worth a visit. The hotel do lots of deals, themed breaks and entertainment packages which are better value than the normal rates so it is worth researching a bit. Sometimes they seem short staffed and we have experienced difficulties getting attention at times but otherwise the service is friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Standard rooms fine and same size as executive rooms which offer little advantage in my view. All ar...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Linda G, Guest Relations Manager at Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Minnie Northampton

Thank you for your review it is always good to her that our guests enjoy their stay with us,
and that you enjoyed your breakfast. I do hope that we will see you again in the near future.

Linda

Been to Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield? Share your experiences!