“Wonderful.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Hotel St Pierre

You added BEST WESTERN Hotel St Pierre to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Hotel St Pierre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   733 Barnsley Road, Newmillerdam, Wakefield WF2 6QG, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newmillerdam
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Wonderful.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Wonderful welcome, spotless room, very friendly and helpful staff, wonderful Evening Meal and Breakfast. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Gemma_Taylor, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel St Pierre, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Thank you for your comments, hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Pembrokeshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Staying here for business. Given a top floor roof room that is small and dark.
The roof valley cuts down into the room on an angle so it blocks light and if you are over 5,7" you'll bang your head. The window is a sort of small triangle with the curtains stapled to the ceiling so you cannot pull them back, furthemore they always cover most of the glass area so you cannot get much light/air into the room.

The room smells sort of musty/old smokish, and I noticed they have the velux roof windows in the service corridor open, pesumably to create some fresh air. Roomsize seems considerably smaller than a travelodge.

The lift stops on the floor below, so you have to carry your bags up two flights of stairs which is a pain. The tv signal is poor, frequently cutting out and pixelating. The tv, being wall mounted, cannot be adjusted for angle, and you can hear next doors tv without too much bother. I do have to say the room was certainly clean and tidy though,withfairly good wifi browsing speed and, the lad on reception seemed pleasent enough when booking in.

I would guess - and I have no personal experience of this in this hotel, but based on other places I have stayed, that the lower rear rooms could also be very dark as the trees are quite overgrown at the back and the windows look almost as small. Walking around the external carpark, they seemed very close to the building and certainly made it look very dark from outside.

Cannot comment on the food, as apart from breakfast I will not be eating here!
If I personally had of been paying for the room, I would have asked for another.

Would I stay again or recommend. NO.

Room Tip: avoid top floor unless you're fit
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Gemma_Taylor, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel St Pierre, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Thank you for your review, we appreciate both positive and negative reviews, it gives us valuable critisims that we can work on to improve our guest experience.

The rooms up on the top floor of the Hotel are no smaller in floor space than the others, however they do have the slopping ceiling that you pointed out, which i think gives us our character, however if you had mentioned your dissatisfaction with the room upon arrival the reception staff would of been happy to change you to a lower floor for your stay. We have struggled finding window coverings for our quirky shaped windows but still need to offer all guests blackout in the bedroom.

We are a 100% smoking free hotel so the room should not have any lingering smell of smoke but i will check this with the housekeeping team.

Thank you for bringing the TV signal to my attention, this must have been an isolated problem in this room only which i will check immediately.

Thank you for your comments on WIFI signal as this is something we have recently improved, added additional routers in the building, our service is also FREE to all guests, which i'm sure is something which is appreciated by all guests.

If you do stay at the Hotel again please stipulate upon booking that you would like a room on floor 2 or 3.
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Arrived at the hotel to check in at 1400 hrs. I was wrongly advised of the procedure for checking in. On arrival I was told I had to pay a further £50 deposit on top of a substantial amount of money already been paid for the room. I agreed to this reluctantly.

Upon booking I stated my room was for 2 people, both myself and my partner. I checked in whilst my partner had a drink outside in the sun. He joined me upstairs around 10 minutes later.

Upstairs, the hotel room phone rang and the receptionist abruptly said 'Do you have a visitor?' To which I replied 'Yes my Husband' She then advised me he also needed to check in so we agreed that we would make our way downstairs to do so once we had settled for a minute (after a 3 hour drive) downstairs my husband was told he was not allowed to check in without identification which we were not told beforehand. The receptionist got quite short tempered by this time and told if we didnt have the correct documents to check in we cant stay, she asked us to grab our bags and leave. Our hotel was pre paid for 2 nights and they are currently refusing to give us a refund after spending only 10 minutes in the room, using no facilities.

Absolutely ridiculous, would not advise anyone to stay here unless you want to be ripped off, we found an emergency hotel - the Campanile at short notice - a budget hotel costing a quarter the price and suffered not one problem in our stay there. Thankyou to the Campanile for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Extremely standard for the price - if you actually get to stay!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Gemma_Taylor, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel St Pierre, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
I am very sorry that you decided not to actually stay with us recently and I would like to take this opportunity to respond to your comments.
1) It clearly states on Laterooms, where you made the reservation, our Pre-Authorisation policy on check in, this is common practice in most hotels. As you had already paid for your room we did ask for a reduced pre-authorisation amount of £50 to cover any extras you may wish to purchase ie food & drink. However you had insufficient funds available.
2) As your Gentleman visitor did not check-in to the hotel with you and simple started to wander around the hotel, I am sure that you would agree that reception staff needed to ascertain who he was, they were merely being vigilant for all our guests safety and hotel security. We did not ask for identification, so this statement you made is untrue.
3) In your review you say that you had prepaid for 2 nights however I have double checked your reservation details with Laterooms and this is incorrect it was booked for 1 night. The room had been pre paid at a discounted rate of £51 but only for one night, this was an advance purchase, no refunds.
4) Guests can only stay in the Hotel if we are able to take a pre-authorisation, you said that you were unable to provide this.
At the Hotel we pride ourselves in good customer service and feel quite hurt by this review.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed in this hotel as a family of 4 for two nights. The rooms were clean and fresh. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, particularly the lady who served us breakfast, she was just lovely! There are also a couple of other pubs in the surrounding area and a beautiful lake to walk round.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. The family rooms we have to offer are priced very competitively allowing familys to stay at an affordable rate. We are very fortunate to have such a fantastic Lake next door to the Hotel which makes a great Sunday morning walk. Hope to see you again in Newmillerdam.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

We booked the st pierre hotel for our wedding on 18th June this year and we certainly made the right choice. From start to finish Sam was fantastic always there to help when she could,she listened to everything we wanted and made sure everything was just right on the day. Also someone else that should get a mention is melanie!!she is one of the nicest people i have ever met,she is a credit to the hotel she was absolutley amazing.Over the 12 months of planning the day she helped with any concerns i had no job was ever too big for her she was fantastic,she was there on the day which i was so happy about and she even came down to newmillerdam with us for our photos.
The food is lovely we had been a few times for sunday dinner etc before our wedding day and was really happy with food,everyone comment how lovely the food was on the day.
The rooms are nice and clean and the beds are sooo comfy!!
All the staff here are really nice you cant fault them at all from the bar staff to reception they are a great team and was always willing to help if we needed anything.
Overall we had a fantastic day,it all ran smoothy and i will certainly be recommending the st pierre!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. The staff at the Hotel are a credit to the team we have, i am so proud of Melanie and Sam, they both work very hard and nothing is too much trouble for them. I will pass your comments on to the kitchen and other staff. I hope you will re-visit the Hotel for furture events, Anniversarys, Christmas or Tributes, we have a Lady Gaga tribute night coming up on Friday 16th September and would love to see you there. Thanks you again.
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

I stayed one night on business and can't fault the place. Each and every member of staff was the model of politeness and efficiency while not being intrusive or smarmy. My room was spotlessly clean and well appointed. I ate in the bar in the evening; the food was good and reasonably priced. Breakfast was also excellent.

Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by the courteous welcome and general service i received. I like to use Best Western hotels whenever possible. I stay in UK hotels on average 2-3 nights a week. Room was claen and comfortable, food was adequate and choice was varied. This was also an interesting place to walk out in the evening, with views across the resevaoir and wooded valley.

Room Tip: Choose Best Western hotels and use a loyalty card.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel St Pierre? Share your experiences!