“Lovely hotel” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Castle   |   Lough Rynn, Mohill, Ireland   |
Coleraine, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at the Lough Rynn on 'a whim' as we were driving past. First impressions were excellent, a beautiful hotel which actually feels like you are staying in a place from years gone by. Our room wasnt in the main hotel but in an annex a short walk from the hotel, first impressions of the room where quite disappointing it was rather small, the mini-bar wasnt stocked and there was no bath (which at the price I would have expected). The room was very clean though and the bed was comfy. We had a lovely walk around the castle gardens and grounds which are beautiful particularly the walled garden. For dinner we had the bar food in the main bar and the food was absolutely fantastic. My main criticism of the hotel would be the noise that night (due to a wedding - not the hotels fault), we could hear everyone walking past our room and as there was a porch between our room and the room next door we were constantly woken by people knocking on the door, shouting into the room next door or ringing the phone next door all which we could hear clearly. I think I got approx 3 hrs sleep that night which was a great disappointment. Breakfast the next morning was very good - would highly recommend the french toast, and the service was excellent throughout our entire stay.

394 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
co. meath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Just back from a two night wonderful stay. Excellent food. Wonderful grounds. Staff all very polite and professional. Will definitely return. Reading other reviews we were probably lucky that there was no Wedding while we were there.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed in the hotel in September 2012. The Hotel is far exceeded my expactations. The rooms are of the highest quality of any I have stayed in. The food was excellant and the staff are polite and helpful. The grounds are also quite impresssive and for the price I paid this is definiately the best hotel I have stayed in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
co down
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My husband and myself have just returned from 2 wonderful nights in the Lough Rynn Castle.
What a lovely experience. From booking to departure we were treated perfectly, The staff were courteous, friendly and genuinely looked after our every needs.
What an amazing place. The castle itself is steeped in history which the staff were only too pleased to share with us.
Our bedroom was, just as I had requested, overlooking the lake. I had mentioned that it was my birthday when booking, I was so delighted to enter our room to find a plate of scrumptious chocolates on a large plate with a happy birthday wish written in chocolate. What a lovely touch.. The walled gardens were amazingly well kept and very special, I can't remember how many times we enjoyed walking around them. The gardens then led down to the beautiful lake. Dinner was included in our package, which was absolutely superb. The Sandstone restaurant under the direction of Clare O'Leary won the best hotel food in Co Leitrim in 2011. I am not at all surprised, the food was probably the besr we have ever tasted in any hotel we have visited. Again I had dessert served with a Happy Birthday wish and a complimentary glass of champagne was duly served to us. Lough Rynn is a gem that we have found and already I have friends who can't wait to book. Kilronan Castle is a sister hotel and I look forward to visiting there, but can't even imagine it to be any more perfect. We certainly will be back, very soon I hope......

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view
Ennis, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed there with my wife in July2012. We have stayed there over the past 4 years and really enjoy the location . Recently we were unfortunate enough to stay there while a wedding was in progress. The main hall which is also the main seating area for guests had been reserved for the champagne reception and this remained closed to non wedding guests for the entire day . Seating had also been removed from the main Lounge/ Bar .As it was raining heavily there was little option but to leave the hotel unless one wanted to stay in their room for the duration of the wedding. While the food and accommodation were still very good it was extremely difficult to enjoy the stay. Staff redirected us to the dining room when we asked about the seating area . The dining room has no windows to the exterior and is equipped with only high back dining room chairs- hardly a place to relax. I just had the feeling that management had changed. The focus is now primarily on wedding receptions and if one is not a wedding guest then ones voice will not be heard. If management wish to give preferential treatment to wedding guests then please do not take bookings from non wedding guests or at least be quite clear in the promotional material that disruptions will occur during wedding receptions. There is a wing dedicated to wedding receptions so I cannot understand why this level of disruption is necessary. I wrote a letter to the manager - 4 weeks later no reply. I wrote to the owners -1 week later no reply. To me this is a very poor response from a business at the forefront of the hospitality sector. Until now I recommended the hotel to many people who subsequently stayed there . I have since (with great reluctance) revised my estimation

Room Tip: If booking for a relaxing break call first to ensure there are no weddings in progress on the same...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husband and I were lucky enough to get married here. When we were selecting our hotel we knew we wanted something special which all our guests would feel comfortable in and appreciate after their short or long journey to join us. We were not disappointed. Everyone was extremely satisfied with their room, the location, the food, the service, the staff, the list is endless!

The hotel rooms are very well appointed and very comfortable. Our guests stayed in the self catering cottages and the rooms in the main hotel itself. Breakfast was delicious, the buffet is extensive and the fresh cooked menu was great.

The staff throughout the hotel were very friendly, efficient and certainly willing to go the extra mile to make sure all guests were happy.

The wedding meal was fantastic. We had a number of compliments from guest who had never had such a good steak at a wedding and I know one person had been to at least 50 weddings so his comments were very credible.

The function room was very quickly switched from dining to dancing and even though the DJ insisted on playing later than he was supposed to the staff didn't try to rush us out. They were very happy to serve us in the residents bar until 4 in the morning.

The next morning the hotel already had everything waiting at reception for us which had been left in the function room. The remains of our wedding cake was packed up and ready to go along with all the rest of our paraphernalia.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and many of our guests spent time wandering the paths around the grounds and through the walled gardens. Our photographer also had no end of pretty backdrops for the hundreds of photos he took.

We left Lough Rynn for our mini-honeymoon around the Ring of Kerry and continued on the castle theme for our accommodation. Unfortunately for us no where else we stayed could hold a candle to the exceptional service and quality at Lough Rynn. I definitely recommend it for weddings or simply a quiet, relaxing getaway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Portlaoise
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights recently and really enjoyed ourselves. The place itself is great with real character! The meal we had in the sandstone restaurant was absolutely great on the Wednesday night. The food was superb (I would really recommend the lamb) and our server was brilliant. He was Hungarian and a real pleasure. Probably the only fault I would have would be that service in the bar was poor. Anytime we looked for a drink we had to wait for someone to come and take our order. In general it is well worth a visit and we would hope to call back again.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Lough Rynn Castle Estate & Gardens? Share your experiences!