“lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Garforth
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was great,staff friendly,food was good,we had room 122 it was very clean,TV worked,bathroom was spotless..would stay again next time were in Leeds ....only down point even though bar is open 24hrs,after 11pm you can only pay with credit/debit card, which no member of staff told us this,maybe when people check in they should be told ...

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SuzanneBush, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for your great 5 star review of our hotel. I'm delighted you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and found your room spotlessly clean. I will pass on your suggestion to our Front Desk Manager so that this can be explained better on check in.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Suzanne Bush

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

At the start of our stay we were checked in by a receptionist that gave us our room keys, we weren't asked if we had stayed in the hotel before, we weren't advised of the facilities available, we weren't told what time meals were served and when I asked if there was a lift available as one of our group has walking difficulties and struggles with stairs we were told no there wasn't a lift in the hotel. Upon finding our 1st room we found it to be in a tired state and I found it poor value for money. My 7 year old son and I headed off to find our 2nd room which was located on the next floor, upon entering the room it became apparent that this room was already occupied. Thankfully there were no other guests in the room; I would hate to imagine what we could have walked into. I went straight to reception to resolve the problem, when I explained what had happened to the manager he approached the receptionist that checked us in and she point blank denied giving us the room key. We had been in the hotel less than 20 minutes and I'm not sure where the receptionist thought we had obtained the room key from but I was less then amused at being called a liar. The manager of course apologise to us in the way that they are trained to do so, robotically and not really bothered about the inconvenience it had caused us. I asked again about a lift, explaining again that one of the guests in our group has walking difficulties and struggles with stairs and again I was told no there wasn't a lift in the hotel. Upon entering the 2nd room we found it to be in an even worse state than the 1st room, there was dust on the lamp, no working light bulbs, holes in the window coverings and mould around the taps on the bath/shower. I didn't report it to the manager. After being called a liar to my face by the receptionist and already having dealt with a manager that was as much use as a chocolate teapot, I had resided to the fact that I would be wasting my breath. When parking my vehicle for the evening at the rear of the hotel, I discovered 2 unsecured doors that were signposted by hotel room numbers. After investigating where they lead to, it became quite obvious that they lead to the floor that both of my rooms were located, so after explaining to 2 members of staff (1 being a manager) that one of the guests in our group has walking difficulties and struggles with stairs not once had they said "we don't have a lift but you could use the doors off the car park which avoids all of the stairs". Most of the guests within our group had a disturbed nights sleep due to other guests shouting, doors banging and children running up and down the corridors throughout the night and into the early hours. When it was time to check out and return the room keys I was faced with the same 2 members of staff that I had encountered the previous day. The receptionist asked me for my room numbers as I passed over the room keys and just simply said to me "that's fine". There was no have a nice day, did you enjoy your stay or have a safe journey home. Surely these are the basics of being a receptionist??? As you can probably tell that my stay was less that average, I wasn't happy with the way I was treated, I don't think the staff on the reception area that day gave a damn about my experience as a guest and as the 1st time I had stayed in an Holiday Inn, I can honestly say that I would not stay in one of your hotels ever again.

• Stayed April 2014
I apologise that you had such a bad experience in our hotel. I was quite horrified when I read your review and looked at your photos, so I did a considerable amount of investigation into the issues you raised, as this is not our usual standard. I am very sorry that this was your experience. It has highlighted some further training needs with our trainee receptionist and this has been addressed. The final room you were allocated, which was in a very poor condition, was out of order and not supposed to be in use at all. All the other issues you have raised have been brought to the attention of our Front Desk Manager.

Your feedback is appreciated. We made mistakes and there is no excuse for that but i can assure you the issues you have experienced have been addressed.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now. This last visit has convinced me to try elsewhere when I am next in Leeds. The onsite parking is good however from then on it's not so good. For some reason the smoking area is in the entrance to the hotel? As a non smoker I hate walking through a wall of smoke on entry and exit of a hotel or restaurant. The reception staff were polite and courteous. This may just be me but I was put in the room furthest from civilisation. The hotel had a gym and pool but thanks to the walk back and forth I didn't need it! The rooms are at best dated and tired. Perhaps it's time for a refurb? Breakfast was ok but again the restaurant manager put me on a table furthest from the food. I am sure there is nothing about me that warrants this treatment??? Perhaps a coincidence. So the stay was ok but not good enough that I will stay on my next visit to Leeds though I will try again in the future.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
MGRROTH, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. The hotel has recently been taken over by new owners and there is major investment in the pipeline over the next 12 months throughout the whole hotel. In the meantime, with a new management team recently put in place, we are improving many aspects of the hotel and we will also look at alternatives for a smoking area. I am sure on future visits to the hotel you will notice improvements each time and I assure you throughout we will always aim to provide friendly, attentive service and high levels of cleanliness.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon and restore your faith once more.
St Helens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

My one and only negative comment can come first but it is only a minor point and general accepted - Severely over priced bar! I know hotels have notoriously over charged in their bars but this one has to be the most expensive I've come across so far, it just puts a dampener on your stay when you know your being fleeced. Anyway, the hotel reception is very pleasant as are the staff, very welcoming and efficient. Our room was surprisingly nice, I'd booked a smoking room and in fairness did expect it to be a little grubby because of the nature of the room, however I was pleased to find a lovely clean room with an enormous bed plus a nice clean bathroom (toilet seat was a bit loose but not wobbly so no great shakes). You can smell that this is a smoking room but as we both smoke it was not something to put you off, a little extra freshener may improve that a little. Although we didn't use the gym or pool (forgot my bikini) they did look fine from the window so can't really review on that facility. We didn't have dinner in the hotel but the buffet style breakfast was plentiful, no-one should go hungry there, again with pleasant helpful staff attending.

We had hoped to venture into Leeds City Centre for a night out but the Leeds-Garforth is a bit out of the way and I felt a taxi would of been quite pricey both ways. Instead we opted for a bit of a scoot around Garforth village; the Hungry Horse pub seemed to be the main hub with a couple of other pubs around and only £3.50 each way in a taxi which reception sorted for us.

Overall a pleasant stay but not much to do nearby without using the car or taxis.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SuzanneBush, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us and for choosing our hotel for your recent visit to the area. I was delighted that you found your room and bathroom clean and the staff pleasant and helpful. We believe our bar prices are in line with all the hotels in the area and in many cases we offer better value for money, however, we will review this again in the coming weeks.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel on any future visits to the area.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Wish we had read the reviews before booking! The main reception is nice but it ends there. The corridors had ripped wallpaper, holes in the ceiling, signs of damp. Our room was filthy but due to lack of time we couldn't do anything about it. Carpet was filthy, windows were full of black mould, bathroom was dirty, pubic hair on the floor, rusted fittings, black grout, shower leaked the whole time. Serious redecoration needed as well as a hoover as under our bed has not been done for I dread to think how long!!

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincere apology that you found the room and corridor below the standard that should be expected. There is no excuse for poor cleanliness, this matter has been addressed and it is not the standard throughout. The hotel is very recently under new ownership and will see major investment throughout the hotel in the next 12 months. In the meantime, we will strive to ensure all our guests receive great customer service and high levels of cleanliness.

I'm certain that, should you choose the hotel again in the future, you would see notable improvements and we hope to welcome you back to restore your faith once more.
Huddersf
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Having been to this hotel many times I think this could be our last,for the second stay running our heating wasn't working,we phoned to complain and got the same excuse as our last stay,the said they would bring a heater to our room which they never did,there was half a toilet roll so we had to ask for more,the soap ran out in the dispenser on our 1st night plus the complimentary milks were off like they had been in there for ages,at breakfast the next morning we had to ask twice for tea and coffee and the food took a long time to come out,we've enjoyed this hotel in the past but standards have definitely slipped now

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review and for your loyal custom. I am sorry that your most recent experience was below expectations. The hotel is recently under new ownership and new management and I'm sure each visit in the future you will see more notable improvements throughout on each visit.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel in the future and retain your loyal custom.
Cuffley,Hertdordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stayed here for two nights to attend a family gathering in the area....we were given a very warm welcome and the reception staff were extremely helpful....as smokers we really appreciated the added facility of 'smoking rooms'...something that is becoming a rarity...we had breakfast on both days which was very pleasant...Sunday was much busier than Monday but that was to be expected..didn't have evening meals there as we were meeting up with family on both days....would definately recommend to anyone who wants to stay in Leeds and not be too far from the centre and A1....

Room Tip: Most of the rooms seem to be of the same standard...our rooms were quite a walk away from reception