“Wish I Could Have Stayed Longer” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Au Havre du Capitaine

Au Havre du Capitaine
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Meteghan
Au Havre du Capitaine
You added Au Havre du Capitaine to your Saves list
P.O. Box 127, Meteghan, Nova Scotia B0W 2J0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Meteghan B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wish I Could Have Stayed Longer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I only had the opportunity to stay at Au Havre du Capitaine for one night, but I wish I could have stayed longer. My stay at Au Havre du Capitaine was one of the highlights of my weeklong trip to Nova Scotia and I cannot wait to return. My stay at this hotel is a big reason why I want to return to the South Shore of Nova Scotia.

The Owner:
Louise Comeau is a wonderful woman! Extremely friendly and hospitable. At the end of my one day stay at her hotel, she gave me a big warm hug as I was departing. As if we had known one another for years as opposed to one day. Louise gave me tips on where to run in the area (I'm a runner) and just helpful information in general.

The room:
I had a room on the second floor with a view of the Bay of Fundy. The setting was gorgeous, especially at sunset. The room itself was very clean, spacious, but had a cozy feel to it. It felt more as if I was staying in a room at someone's home as opposed to a hotel. The bed, big and comfortable. The bathroom: very clean with a great shower. The shower had great water pressure.

I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive about the room not having air conditioning and I was staying in the middle of July. But, like someone else previously wrote, if you open the windows there is a breeze that comes off the Bay of Fundy that cools the room. I slept comfortable with the windows open and in the morning I was even a little cold.

Price: For the room and I had and the hospitality that I received, the price was a bargain.

I look forward to the next time I can stay at the Au Havre du Capitaine and I hope that many people will pay a visit to Louise Comeau's wonderful property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mt St-Hilaire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed 3 nights, as we had a number of functions in the area. The Owner, Louise Comeau, makes you feel at home immediatly. She is the perfect host. If you want, you can chat with her and learned more about the people of the area the ACADIANS, she is. Our room had hardwood floor which make for a very clean place. Very clean and modern bath, great bed.
You can have breakfast there, and for your other meal, Louise will give you some insights.
One of the hidden secret is that Louise does extraordinary QUILTS! Ask her to show you!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We booked a room a few nights ahead, coming from Digby. We were exploring the Yarmouth Coast and Acadian Shores on our way to Peggy's Cove and Halifax for our flight home to the States. There are a few other places to stay in the area, but we lucked out. The Inn was built as a hotel, then housed some priests for a period of time. Louise and her family have restored it to it's original purpose, and what a pleasure! Our room was beautiful with a view of the ocean across the street, antique furnishings, and a comfy bed. Beautiful quilts are everywhere. The room was quiet at night, no road noise. We walked through Meteghan, which is quite small, in the heart of Acadian country. Louise made us feel very welcome, as honored guests. The prices for breakfast are the same as 10 years ago, very reasonable dinner. But the food was magnifique!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building, the addition is 2 stories with rooms with balconies/porches.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Prince George, bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

My husband and another couple came across this Inn by accident while touring Nova Scotia's south shore - it was a trip highlight. We had a spacious & spotless room with fireplace, view of St. Mary's Bay, and comfy beds with handmade quilts.
But what made our stay so great was the hospitality of owner Louise, especially her obvious pride of and willingness to share her Acadian culture. The nicely casual dining room features Acadian specialties (at reasonable prices) and hosts 'Kitchen Parties' - evenings with lively Acadian performers and dancing. And if your partner doesn't want to dance, Louise will dance with you! She truly seems to want you to have a wonderful time. She also sells some of their Gorgeous handmade quilts at the Inn.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

I've lost count now of how many times I've stayed here. Many. It's always a delight, for reasons I've noted in my earlier review. I'd like to add that Louise Comeau is putting less emphasis now on the dining room, which is still, however great for breakfast: try the lobster omelet. For other meals I highly recommend the Cafe chez Cristophe (reservations necessary) about 15 minutes to the North in Grosses Cocques.

This time we had first floor rooms in front, off the porch. Wonderful sunsets and tables and chairs for sunset drinks. In the future I will definitely reserve far enough in advance to get one of these.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Cornwall, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Large group of friends stayed here during the Acadian Festival. The rooms and food were great - the service was even better. Louise and her staff went out of their way to accomodate every request we had. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010 via mobile

I stayed in early May and was charged an unseemly amount. I was told when I booked (also early May) that it was off-season rates. When I checked out, I was surprised at what I had paid for the room I was in. I've stayed at hotels, inns, and B&Bs with a lot more to offer for a lot less money. I had breakfast there and thought the prices were also very steep. Next time I will stay in Yarmouth and drive where I need to be in the morning - it would probably be cheaper and more worth my time.

• Stayed August 2010

Been to Au Havre du Capitaine? Share your experiences!