“Erg Chigaga, Sahara Desert” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 13 Attractions in M'Hamid
Type: Deserts, Geologic Formations, Outdoors
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Erg Chigaga, Sahara Desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I've been here 6 times! Great place. It takes several days to trek here so if you are comparing it with Erg Chebi - don't. Chebi is reached by tourist bus, in a hotel and there it is, in front of you. Chigaga is accessed via the desert town of M'hamid and then trek from there. 5 - 6 days is about right, total silence, no cars, no roads, no people. Great trekking experience.
Simple choice really, Chigaga for a trekking and true desert experience and Chebi if you just want to see a desert dune from a hotel!

Visited November 2012

8 attraction reviews
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Don't miss this wonderful and magic place if you come to M'Hamid. Take a tour with Sahara Best Travel or VisageTouareg.com

Visited May 2013
Rome, Italy
“Bewitched by dessert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

¡What an experience it is to spend a couple of days in the dessert! To have
the fortune of walking barefooted at dusk in the warm Erg Chigaga dunes as
the outside temperature drops and millions of stars appear. To be bewitched
by the Sahara desert in luxurious comfort provided by the Erg Chigaga Luxury
Camp excellent facilities under the care of Bobo and his crew of the polite
and amicable Berbers. Wwwooooowww.

My most sincere congratulations to Nick and Bobo for their partnership and
vision. Their good vibes and determination are the foundation of this
unique venture. I highly recommend this camp to adventure lovers. Keep an
open mind, open your senses and you will also be captivated by the desert.

I include one photograph with Joseph, one of the Berbers that works at the
camp

Visited April 2013
Clearwater, Florida
“Erg Chigaga exceeded my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I spent a few days at Erg Chigaga in December with friends and it was a truly magical experience. I would say it was timeless and from that day on the Sahara desert, the stars, the open space is still with me. We lacked nothing and anything we needed was supplied,with a smile and with real care for us. We rode camels, we sang with the Berbers at night around the fire and we had unlimited space and quiet that comes with the Sahara. The biggest shock to me was leaving the desert and arrving at our first town on the way back to Marrakech as I saw the contrast from the peace and quiet of the desert to the noise and confusion of the streets. This made the time in the Sahara stand out even more. The journey to Erg Chigaga from Marrakech is also part of the experience and can't be missed.

Visited December 2012
Denver
21 attraction reviews
“Arib Adventures trip to Erg Chigaga”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Booking a trip with Arib Adventures was one of the best things we did in Morocco. If you have a chance, definitely do the trip to Erg Chigaga. Make sure that you trip guides are Bashir and Mokhtar, they are the brothers who own Arib Adventures and are unbelievably awesome. They made the entire experience worthwhile and soooo great. Both of them speak perfect English, as well as some Spanish and a ton of other languages, I’m sure, so we felt understood and comfortable.

The first night my fiancé and I took a camel trip into the desert. It was great and exciting, however the two guides that we had didn’t speak good English and everything seemed to take a little longer than necessary. However, a night with a full moon in the desert was still incredibly memorable, however the experience got much better after we transferred into a 4x4 and headed out to the real sand dunes.

We arrived at a camp at the foot of the Erg Chigaga, complete with running water, bathroom facilities, dinner tent and tent rooms with actual beds in them. The ground was covered with rugs, so we were able to walk completely barefoot. After walking around the desert and climbing the tallest dunes, we watched the sunset and came back for dinner, which was delicious and plentiful. While we ate, there was an incredible musical group that played and sang, adding to the jovial mood and the authenticity of the experience. After dinner and tea, Bashir and Mokhtar set up a giant fire in the middle of the camp under the stars, and the party and the music continued well into the night. The following morning we had the option to take a camel ride into the dunes, but we were in a hurry to leave, as we had to travel back to Marrakesh that same day.

Our time at the desert was fantastic – fun, adventurous, safe and beautiful. Bashir and Mokhtar were incredibly helpful and service-oriented, with no detail being too small and no request too minute. They are great and sincere people who are there to make sure you have a memorable time. They were helpful in so many ways – I didn’t have euros to pay for our trip, so they were kind enough to accept dollars instead. I also ran out of cash and wasn’t able to access the ATM since my card broke and the banks were closed for the weekend – the two brothers ensured me that if I ran into any problems at all, they would find me in Marrakesh and do their best to help me solve my predicament. It was very comforting to know that I could call Bashir or Mokhtar had something bad happened, and that comfort made the trip even more enjoyable and easy going.

I would urge anyone who is in M’Hamid and wants to see the desert to book a package through Arib Adventures. The prices are reasonable and the value that you get for what you pay is incredible. B/c Arib is a small company owned by people whose family is actually nomadic. They actually know the desert and understand the needs of tourists. There are no hassles with this company, they are incredibly responsive and will go above and beyond to ensure a positive experience. They are definitely the way to go, not some corporate firm that is in business only to make money. Arib Adventures is in business of making people happy – they share their experience and their love for the desert and for hospitality and it shows in everything that they do.

Visited November 2012