“Hard to belive, but it's perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Sidi Bounou

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in M'Hamid
Dar Sidi Bounou
Save Saved
You added Dar Sidi Bounou to your Saves list
Dar Sidi Bounou, Bounou, M'Hamid, Morocco   |
Ranked #1 of 18 M'Hamid B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Hard to belive, but it's perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We were on a driving trip through morocco in a motorhome, but we had read of Dar Sidi Bounou and wanted to just take a look. When we drove in, we just fell in love with this little oasis of peace and tranquility in the hectic place that is Morocco.

Nancy let us stay in our motorhome, though she did say it's not what they normally cater for. because of this, we did'nt get an electical hookup, but we did'nt need it as it's so sunny there the solar panels on most vehicles that travel this way will be fine. Besides, you will not be in your van much!

The food is great, we really enjoyed it. The company is super, and the setting divine. We wanted to visit the local Kasbah very early in the morning for the good light, and lack of heat and that was no problem. in fact nothing was a problem.

This would be a great base for a few days when in the area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tangier, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Arriving during the last week in April, we were warmly greeted by the staff at Dar Sidi Bounou and basically given the run of the place, as we caught them right before the real desert tourist season began. Nancy is a wonderfully well-connected and charming conversationalist, eager to learn about you and to share her own experiences as an artist, gallery owner, and world traveler. The price is right and the food is excellent, plus you get the company of Nancy, Daoud, and the rest of the staff, which is both entertaining and instructive. It doesn't take too long to slough off the idea of the necessity for "doing something" when staying at Dar Sidi Bounou, as relaxation seems to come naturally with the place. That being said, Idri, one of the staff, took us on an excursion to an ancient necropolis, thought to date from the stone age, and the nearby ruin of the ancient Jewish kasbah of Tidri, both located on cliffs high above the Draa river. The place was magic. I will certainly return to explore more of the region and I will use Dar Sidi Bounou as a base. it will be a pleasure to bring more firends here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Berlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Our first visit to Morocco was made very special by an 8 day stay on the edge of the Sahara at Dar Sidi Bounou with owners, Nancy and Daoud and their wonderful team. Our drive from Agadir was great fun, very scenic and problem free. Welcomed warmly by Nancy and staff on our arrival we immediately felt at home in our second floor room in the main house. The house is an authentic daub structure with lovely interior spaces as well as terraces and roof decks providing views of the surrounding palms, dunes and dramatic night sky. We were immediately addicted to mealtimes as both the food and fellowship was outstanding. Nancy arranged a overnight camel excursion into the desert with one of her wonderful staff, Said, and his friend, Abdullah, who provided the camels. Just as we were departing with the camels Shtouki, the proprietor of the cute little onsite boutique, equipped us with turbans. This soon gave us a lesson on the absolute designed-for-purpose nature of proper desert clothing. Not even our trusty Tilley hats could come close to providing the protection from sun, wind and sand that the turbans gave us. With the camels bearing amazing loads of bedding, tents, food and cooking gear, we walked and rode for 7 hours past ancient Kasbahs through a moonscape of dry river beds to reach spectacular deserted trackless dunes. Getting to know our camels provided insight into how amazingly well they are designed for their desert vocation. Camp was set up and after a delicious tajine dinner, we retired to our tent and a luxurious cozy bed. After our return to Dar Sidi Bounou, Said generously escorted us on short tours to Kasbahs and Souks, as well as for a short visit to meet his family. We found the Moroccan people very welcoming and were charmed in numerous encounters by their mint tea tradition. When we left Nancy, Daoud, Said and the rest of the staff to return to the coast it felt like we were leaving part of our family. Future travel plans must include a return trip bringing our adult children to meet our Dar Sidi Bounou family and spend more time traveling in the trackless dunes of the Sahara.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We enjoyed fantastic views and the relaxing terrace room was certainly a bonus. Nancy was very efficient and warm in organizing our stays and excursions, right from when we started booking.

We arrived late at almost 10pm and we were welcomed with a delicious meal. The team has made us feel they truly enjoyed working for her and they were all just like a big family. The camel trip to the oldest Kasbah was absolutely amazing. To our delightful surprise, Nancy is also a talented artist and how kind of her to show us her beautiful studio. The print of one of her paintings we are keeping in the room here in Cambridge will always remind us of one of the most romantic stays we have had.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I have never had such a super holiday.
Thank you Nancy and Daoud, and the welcoming, friendly staff.
I went with Sahara Dance a group of belly dancers from the UK. We danced and drummed and sang and walked and rode camels in the desert. For a week. And we were entertained by friendly musicians who sang and played and we all were encouraged to join in. Food was superb and plentiful, and Rakia the cook came and demonstrated womens' wear, dressed us up in her wedding clothes, and Shtuki sold us turbans, scarves and jewellery. I shared the new Hut with a new Friend. I didn't want to go home. Now I'm saving to back again. The water supply was wonky and the showers variable in temperature, but the stars blazed in the heavens and the fire glowed in the dark as we sat round it at night.
A life changing experience.

Room Tip: You could stop in a Berber tent, the house or a hut.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Cirencester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

A friend recommended Dar Sidi Bounou to me.... the owners Nancy and Daoud are friends of his. He described it as the perfect antidote for someone who just wanted to get away from things and recharge... reconnect. Even though I was a little fragile having had quite a bit of stress for months, I went with my gut feeling. After a night spent in the medina in Marrakech, I set out early the next morning to get the CTM coach. My final destination was a 10 hour journey away but the scenery of the snow capped Atlas mountains was breathtaking and made the trip seem a lot shorter than it actually was. It was about 10pm when I reached Dar Sidi Bounou, and waiting for me to disembark from the coach and welcome me was Nancy and Daoud - a lovely touch I thought. I was shattered, hungry and felt grubby from the long journey but was welcomed by some hot food cooked by Rakia, the first of many delicious meals I would have during my stay. I'd seen photos of the house and rooms on the DSB website but I felt they didn't really do the place justice. I absolutely loved the look and feel of the interior of the main house. It's an authentic daub house, unspoilt and stylishly bohemian, and is an extension of Nancy's artistic personality. On the walls of the dining room in the main house hang some of her beautiful brightly coloured paintings, each of them a storyboard featuring Nancy, Daoud and even their beloved animals who visit from time to time. I stayed at Dar Sidi Bounou for 8 days and even though I was there alone, I was made to feel like part of the family. Nancy is so knowledgeable about the Berber culture, the music, dance, history and idiosyncrasies, that I felt truly educated and entertained. I visited a few markets locally and Said, one of the 'boys' who works there, took me for a fantastic walk to the Bounou Kasbar, a truly awesome experience that I will never forget. We also took the 4km walk to M'Hamid the day before my departure, to visit the women's market and where I bought the most beautiful hand died fabric to take back to the UK for my daughter. Fantastic photo opportunities of fabulous looking people and young children in that amazing light that I've only ever seen in the desert, but understandably not really the done thing so sadly had to leave the temptation. Ha! It was on that day that Said just happened to ask me whether I'd booked a return coach ticket. OMG!!!! No, I hadn't. We went to the ticket office but as it was a public holiday that week, all the seats back to Marrakech were full. However, after everyone put their heads together, all was sorted and the next morning I had a much more interesting return trip of a short bus ride and then two taxi journeys. It might have been a little tight with 7 in a car but I wouldn't have missed the experience for the world and when I return in the not too distant future, I will do the taxi thing as it was much more fun. I absolutely loved my experience at Dar Sidi Bounou and can't wait to book my flight to go back before too long. I felt a connection with everyone and the most chilled that I have in months.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dorset, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

This was one of my favourite places that we stayed at in Morocco. The ambience is very friendly, relaxed and sociable. It’s tempting to hang out here for days. Such wonderful company and excellent service is provided by the owners Nancy and Daoud and the “boys” - Moroccan Berbers who are either gifted musicians or cooks and who double as guides. Had we more time we definitely would have done one of the Dar Sidi Bounou excursions into the desert as I’m sure we would have been shown some fantastic and special places. We were particularly impressed by the sympathetically restored daub house, our chic unpretentious bedroom and the traditional food (the whole dining experience is rather like a dinner party complete with trance inducing music for afters). And what fabulous clear starry nights for watching shooting stars from the roof top terrace!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar Sidi Bounou? Share your experiences!