“A seriously classy hotel” 5 of 5 stars

You added Fota Island Resort to your Saves list
Fota Island Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fota Island, Fota Island, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fota Island
“A seriously classy hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Spent last night in this 5 star hotel as part of the ERST conference. I am seriously impressed. I spent a while thinking of where better I have stayed and there is nowhere I can think of.The room was classy out..absolutely huge and everthing about it was quality. When they built this they certainly did not hold back from spending funds. Bathrooms huge with excellent eco friendly shower.Reception very friendly and helpful. Food beautiful with generous portions. Other guests were equally effusive about the spa and hydrotherapy facility. Incredibly the hotel is available on the Supervalu offer. I live in Kilkenny and have no connection with the hotel or Supervalu. Credit where credit is due.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Fota Island Resort.

I am thrilled to read how impressed you were with our facilities, service and cuisine. We very much appreciate your kind comments and I will ensure that the rest of the team here are made aware of them.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

John O'Flynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Lausanne, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed at Fota resort for an overnight stay with my fiancee. We were really looking forward to the break away pre wedding and all that. All in all our stay was ruined by a disgraceful dinninng dinner experience. From start to finish our ' romantic dinner' was like something out of faulty towers. The staff in the restaurant were abrupt and rude and when we ordered a side dish it never came. When my fiancee quizzed the waiter as to where it was, he pointed to his plate and in an Eastern european tone he said ' you have potato. The drinks never arrived, food was mediocre and it was freezing in the restaurant. I wrote a letter to the GM Mr. John and he rang me a week later saying he would follow up the phone call with a letter..I never received a letter and when one of the receptionists rang me about the package we were on I mentioned this to her and she said she would pass on the message. Since August I havent receieved a letter nor any kind of compensation from the manager. Its disgraceful really and just goes to show why the hotel has a bad reputation around the Cork area:(

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

It is unfortunate that your recent visit was not up to your expectations and I apologise for the dinner incidents. I took notice of all your comments and I will pass them on to the appropriate departments.

We have tried to contact you personally to discuss your review in more detail.

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night on monday. Great welcome, very normal and friendly staff. We enjoyed the pool and the relaxation areas although the steam room was very dark. Our room was beautiful, fridge was empty of mini bar items so it was great to store a bottle of bubbly we brought. We had an amazing set menu meal that night but it was great to be able to order off the main menu with small surcharges. Bed was massive and comfortable and the selection for breakfast was perfect. We didn't need lunch we ate that much. Would highly reccomend and stay again given half the chance! Well done to all the great staff.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay at Fota Island Resort.

Our staff takes great pride in their work and provides welcoming service to all our guests. I will pass on your compliments as they are always happy to hear their work is appreciated.

We are very proud of our many facilities including the rooms. We make sure all of them exceed the 5 star expectations and I am glad you experienced that as well.
Of course I will pass on your comment about the dark steam room to our Spa supervisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here and am looking forward to welcoming you back to the Resort.

Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed at Fota Resort for a weekend with my partner and we had an amassing time. This hotel has top class service, beautiful rooms and a great spa.The leisure center and spa facilities were top class, the walking river excellent. The breakfast was outstanding with a huge variety to choose from. Dinner was beautiful with great quality steak.The bar is very comfortable and very tastefully decorated. The meal we had in the bar was excellent , food was to a very high standard.I really enjoyed my stay and would stay again any time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this great review. We are delighted you and your partner had an amazing time at Fota Island Resort.

Our chefs take great pride in their work and I am glad to read that you found the food to be of a very high standard.I will make sure to pass on your compliments.

Fota Island Resort is a place to relax and unwind and enjoy luxury. It is great to read that our fantastic Spa and Amber lounge were able to contribute to you enjoying your stay here.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My wife I and our baby visited recently for lunch. I was blown away from start to finish. Beautiful entrance, grounds and first impression. Stunning lobby leading through to impressive bar/ resturant. The staff were friendly and impeccably dressed. The menu was comprehensive. We both had the fillet steak sandwich. OMG. Incredible. A generous serving of fillet steak served with fried onions served on amazing ciabiata. We had a desert that was just as impressive and topped it off with great coffee served with hot milk. The attention to detail was impressive. I only wish that we had an establishment of this quality in the city. Five stars all the way.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write these lovely comments.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your dinner in the Amber Lounge. The chefs take great pride in their dishes and always pay attention to details.

Thank you for choosing Fota Island Resort and hopefully we can welcome you back soon in our hotel.

John O’Flynn
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed at Fota Resort for a weekend with my partner and my three year old niece, I have stayed here twice before when it was under the Sheraton flag and from booking to the end of our stay you could really tell the difference. It took over a week to try to book our visit. I really wanted to stay here as my previous visits had been great. Once I finally got through to a manager it was booked very quickly and we were upgraded and got passes for the Spa and Wildlife Park, which was great.

On arrival check in was quick the pool and spa area are fabulous. My niece really enjoyed the swimming pool.

Dinner was fine we ate in the bar on both nights, if your kid is a fussy eater you may need to state that you don’t want their dessert to look like it came out of Heston’s kitchen. My poor niece didn’t know what to do with her ice cream that look amazing but didn’t look like ice cream to a three year old. On our second night I was very specific about what she wanted and she was catered for with no fuss. They even managed to find her peanut butter for her toast in the morning.

On both nights of our stay there were weddings, on our first night we were kept awake with people dancing and singing in the corridor this eventually woke my niece up at 5.40am. May I add they kept me awake all night. After complaining the next day we were moved to another room however we could hear the music from the second wedding which carried on until 1.30am. Management was very apologetic however instead of moving us to a smaller room, which was still noisy with a €20 refund; a meal would have been far more useful to us.

I would stay here again however would advise against bringing children they have it right in so many ways but got it so wrong in others. All the problems we had I never experience when this hotel was a Sheraton.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback, which we very much appreciate.

I am very sorry to hear that some aspects of our service did not meet your expectations. We were however delighted to learn that your niece’s needs were catered for on the second night of your stay. The staff in our Fota Restaurant are encouraged to provide a tailor-made service to our guests of all ages.

I will of course pass on your comments to the appropriate departments and will ensure that appropriate actions are taken to rectify the problems you encountered.

Thank you again and I sincerely hope you will decide to return to Fota Island Resort at some point in the not-too-distant future.

John O’Flynn
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Myself and my wife stayed for one night & should have booked the two night stay. The staff were all excellent and friendly - even when very busy, lovely big smiles. The bar is very comfortable and very tastefully decorated. The meal we had in the bar was excellent , food was to a very high standard. I would love to return in the winter and sit near the big fire lighting in the bar and have a nice cool drink. The hotel room was decorated to a high standard and the bed was very comfy. The bathroom with separate bath & wet-room style rain shower was lovely. Service and accommodation was to a high standard .

Room Tip: we did not get time to use the Spa.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write these lovely comments. We always enjoy reading about the experiences of our guests.

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed the food in the Amber Lounge. Maybe for you next stay, you could visit our Clubhouse or our Fota restaurant. The chefs are very dedicated and proud of their menu.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your room. We always want to give our guest a memorable stay.

Hopefully you will consider our hotel for your next holiday and avail of our Spa. We would be delighted to welcome you again.

John O'Flynn

Been to Fota Island Resort? Share your experiences!