“Good place for families” 4 of 5 stars

Fota Island Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fota Island, Fota Island, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fota Island
Galway,Ireland
“Good place for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel on two seperate occasions with my husband and 13 month old son. Our check in on both occasions was very straightforward, informative & friendly. On both occasions we were helped with our bags to the room which is always appreciated. Our first stay was on the first floor and our second stay was on the second floor. Both rooms were really very similar. Nice big bed, beautiful bathroom, although I feel for a 5 star you should get more than 1 shampoo and 1 shower gel to a double room! A little bit tight I felt and also I would have expected better quality products for a 5 star.
My main gripe with the bedrooms was that there was only one chair at the table in the room. We ordered room service during our first stay as we didnt want to disturbe other diners with our 13 month old son but when it arrived my husband had to use the only other chair in the room (at the desk) which ment he was towering over the table. Basically it didnt make for a comfortable meal for him and he ended up eating his meal off his lap in bed. They should provide two chairs at the table in my opinion. Unfortunately we did not find the room service menu to be adequate for any hotel, let alone a 5 star. Very limited menu! The food when it was delivered was only ok. For these reasons when we stayed on the second occasion we chose to have our evening meal in the bramley lodge across the road which i would highly recommend. Breakfast at Fota was pretty good. There was a large choice available and even some extra items on a menu that could be made to order. Overall the hotel is nice, most staff are friendly ( I found some in the bar during the day to be a bit off hand and felt like they would rather be somewhere else) The grounds are lovely for walking and I have to commend them on their playroom for kids which my son really enjoyed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to our Resort.

I have noted your comments on the room service menu and the interior in the room and will be sure to pass this on to the relevant heads of departments for their attention.

I am delighted that your son enjoyed our playroom for the little ones. We also have kids swimming pool hours and a special kids menu in our Fota Restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family to Fota Island Resort again soon to show you what great service and facilities we have to offer for both adults and children.

John O'Flynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Waterford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel is absolutely stunning. The decor is gorgeous and well maintained. The rooms are so comfortable and nice and relaxing. The food is amazing both breakfast lunch and dinner. Facilities I.e pool gym are well kept clean and well equip. As I was there for a wedding I found the staff to be so nice and helpful in every way. They also seem very helpful wit families as there is a children's play room. The only fault I would make is I had absolutely no signal on my tone only wen I stepped outside the hotel. The grounds are well labelled for walking/runnin routes. Overall a fab hotel :-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you very much for giving us this kind feedback. I am delighted to hear that your stay lived up to your expectations completely. All of us here at Fota Island Resort take pride in providing a warm and professional service to every guest. We give our best to accommodate families as well as couples, single and corporate guests. I am happy to hear that you found the wedding reception you visited relaxing and enjoyable as all our staff take pride in making that special day in a couples life as beautiful as possible .

We all look forward to welcoming you to Fota Island Resort again soon.

Cork, Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I won a voucher for a nights accommodation and we availed of this for my partners birthday. We were greeted by a red carpet arrival (albeit for a wedding that was taking place, but still it was a welcomed arrival) and were asked if we'd like assistance with our bags (as we only had 1 overnight bag this wasn't required). At check-in we were told all about the amenities of the hotel and asked once more if we needed any assistance with our bags, and our spa treatments and dinner was reconfirmed. The hydrotherapy pools are wonderful and the standards of these areas is 5 star! No rust, no hair, no excess water (my 3 worst fears in hotel pools) The massage we had was the best I've received and from the comfort of the beds through to the the relaxation room where we had fruit and yoghurt it was a lovely way to spend the afternoon. Our hotel room was stunning with views out onto the woodlands, still very private but something to look at. The service at Dinner was exceptional, all about Irish hospitality and the food was amazing. Great portion sizes and the drinks prices were reasonable for that of a 5 start hotel. The bed was so comfortable and the breakfast was simply stunning! Although this trip was "just up the road" as we live in Cork, we could have been in another country and it was a wonderful weekend escape. Definitely recommend it and don't forget to see the sights of Cobh if you plan a stay at Fota Island Resort.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor with views of the woodlands towards the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank your very much for taking the time to give us these kind words. I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us as much as possible. Congratulations on winning a nights stay with us. We are always delighted to welcome new guests to our Resort and show what great facilities and service we have to offer.

All of us hope to welcome you to Fota Island Resort again soon for another relaxing getaway.

Galway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

What a hotel, stayed one night for a wedding and to be honest the service received was above and beyond what I normally expect from hotels weddings aside. Firstly check in was a dream, extremely welcoming staff. The room was spotlessly clean, very big for a standard room and very comfortable. The bathrooms the hotel rooms are exceptional, huge shower and bath, nicely lit and plenty of space.
Breakfast was plentiful, extremely varied, very fresh and tasty.
I would recommend this hotel wholeheartedly for a short break provided the price wasn't too steep. I've checked since and similar stays to ours are a bit more expensive.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you very much for your kind feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at with us fully. All of us here at Fota Island Resort take pride in giving a warm, friendly and personalised service to all our guests to make them feel at home during their stay. I am delighted to hear that you experienced this.

I hope to welcome you to Fota Island Resort again in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Booked online on Sunday and when arrived had to forward my confirmation email to the receptionist as they had no way of checking reservations on a Sunday and paid for a deluxe room package. Carried all our luggage up and found our room, nobody to help or to show us to our room. Room was very mediocre, large chip out of dressing table, stains on valance sheet, hole in the curtains etc. bathroom five star and very clean. Went to the pool found out it had no jacuzzi or sauna and was informed €25 each to use the spa. At check out we complained about the poor service etc and were informed our deluxe room had included the spa for free. Nowhere does it say this or did anybody tell us. The manageress did reduce our room price to reflect this. Explained to her it's not very five star to add separate charges for every side order when paying for a meal as part of a deal. The meal was fine and the staff were excellent. Two deserts came out. One hot one cold and the staff were great in sorting this out. The manageress stated she would email us that evening to try and address the problems which she acknowledged did not reflect a five star hotel. I haven't heard from anyone since. Nice hotel, run a bit like fawlty towers but friendly staff and good food. Nice but felt very expensive for what it was and wouldn't return.

• Stayed April 2013
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback. I am disappointed to hear that your recent stay did not live up to your expectations fully.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused during check-in and regarding the spa passes. Our concierge staff are always happy to help our guests with luggage, so I am sorry that no-one was at the desk upon your arrival.

I have spoken to our Front Office Manager who you talked to on the day. She has informed me that she sent you an e-mail after your visit but it seems that those e-mails didn't get to you. I can assure you that she will be in touch again shortly. As you can appreciate, it is very important to me that all of the issues you experienced are rectified to ensure you and our other guests don’t experience anything similar in future.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal and found our staff helpful and friendly. I will be sure to pass your feedback on to them.

I do hope that you consider visiting Fota Island Resort again in the near future. We would all like to show you the warm and personal service that we are known for and ensure that you get to experience the most enjoyable stay possible.

John O’Flynn
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We just had a wonderful stay in the self catering lodges at Fota Island resort. The house we stayed in was very comfortable and the service and food at the hotel were wonderful. Gorgeous spa. Great kids club. Everyone we dealt with from reception to bar/restaurant to spa to kids club couldn't have been nicer which was what made the holiday so great. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
fotaisland01, General Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us this kind feedback. I am delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us to the fullest.

It is great to hear that our luxurious lodges pleased you. They are the perfect way of spending a self-catering holiday with all the amenities of a five-star hotel with spa, restaurant, bars and golf club.

I will be sure to pass your feedback on to all members of staff as they will be delighted to hear that they made your holidays even more relaxing and enjoyable.

We all hope to welcome you and your family to Fota Island resort again soon.

Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My family and I stayed for 2 nights at a Courtyard cottage. In all our party of 23 people occupied 5 houses for our family reunion and, all told, we were very happy with our choice.
Each house was a little different in layout and size, but the decor was similar. The facilities were more than adequate for our short break. Beds were very comfortable, everything was very clean, appliances worked fine. There was a lovely playground on site and plenty of green space for the children to play without disturbing anyone.
A couple of gripes- one was running out of hot water by the third shower. Other was the rather abrupt check-out routine. The credit card- size "keys" were automatically deactived at the check-out time, allowing little for last minute glitches etc. We would have liked to be able to keep one house til the afternoon since several of us were not going to the airport til mid-afternoon, but late checkout was 1.30pm. Considering we had given them a lot of business over the weekend, we felt this was a bit harsh. There was no evidence of a rush of new guests moving in.
The leisure facilities at the hotel were good and the golfers were happy 'til they got rained off. The area is beautiful and the hotel provided a map of various easy walking routes around the island.
We ate at the Clubhouse one evening. Food was lovely but not outstanding. Service was polite but not friendly. There was a wedding reception in progress in the building but there was plenty of space for everyone. We did not use other facilities at the hotel itself.

The location is wonderful, close to Cork city and the neighbouring towns. We visited Midleton on Saturday and enjoyed the delightful farmer's market in particular. We also enjoyed the tour of the Jameson distillery in Midleton. Some of our group visited the Wildlife Park and loved it.
Cork Airport is an easy journey away.

We would happily return.

Room Tip: Consider the description of the houses on the website carefully to select he one most suited to your...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Fota Island Resort.

We take great pride in our beautiful luxury lodges and I am happy to hear they met your expectations.

The check-out time at 1.30pm ensures that our cleaning staff has enough time to clean the lodge for the next guests arriving at 5pm. As the lodge is cleaned by one or two staff members only a considered amount of time needs to be provided.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to the kitchen staff as we strive to improve constantly to ensure that you and other guests get the best possible experience at Fota Island Resort.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the beautiful area our Resort is located in.

I hope you do return to Fota Island Resort soon and have an even better experience.

John O’Flynn

Been to Fota Island Resort? Share your experiences!