Before I review the hotel, I must commend J B Journeys Travel Agency, for without their vision, we would not have found this hotel or planned this vacation. I traveled with my boyfriend. I am accustomed to all-inclusive commercial resorts and he prefers rustic vacations where you become one with nature. Barbara and Jean achieved what we thought was impossible: recommending a hotel that combines the best of both of our desires. EcoParaiso seamlessly combines an ecologically sound resort that focuses on nature and being one with the environment, while providing every amenity and luxury that a commercial resort offers. Barbara and Jean checked on us every day while we were on our trip and their personal service and attention to detail is unparalleled.
STAFF: The staff was not to be believed..everyone from the manager to the housekeeping staff were so accommodating and willing to do anything they needed to to make us happy. In fact, I felt like there was nothing we could have asked for that would not have been done for us. At the same time, they conducted their work in a way that was non-invasive and respectful of your privacy. We came in to the resort on an 11pm flight and left at 7am. When we arrived at night, we were told that we did not have to fill out any paperwork, they were sure we were tired, and that we could complete all paperwork in the morning. What an unexpected and appreciated surprise that was! When we left at 4 am on NEW YEARS DAY!!, the manager and assistant manager personally escorted us to the airport to ensure our safe departure. If we were to take that flight again, we would have stayed in Merida the night before the flight to avoid the 3am wake up call! The wait staff, and bar tending staff (we LOVED Victor) were so accommodating, and if they did not understand what we were asking for, they made sure to find someone who would. The yoga instructor was amazing. I am a novice, but my boyfriend has years of experience and he said that she was an excellent instructor he had ever had. We had massages twice, and Alexandra was very talented! The staff as a whole could not do enough for us, and truly was the reason our trip was as relaxing as it was.
ROOMS: We stayed in a master suite bungalow. There are no words to describe how beautiful and clean the bungalow was. The room was huge!! With plenty of closet space, a safe, a beautiful outdoor shower and our own private patio with a hammock, chairs, and a private wading pool. And you are RIGHT ON THE BEACH!! And so private. We did not miss the air conditioning at all..the constant ocean breeze kept the room cool all day and night. All the doors and windows open. The room is made up twice per day and was truly kept beautifully clean. Coffee was delivered every morning to your room.
BEACH: Miles and miles of untouched beach = heaven! The seashells and fish and bird life was not to be believed. Although the resort was completely sold out, we felt like we were the only ones on the beach. Getting chairs was never of issue.
HOTEL: The main buildings were easily accessible. Traveling the road up to the hotel can make you wonder where exactly you are going, but then, suddenly, the hotel is in front of you. The lobby is open air and beautiful. The restaurant is located in a building with the hotel store and bar. The bar has Wii, WiFi, a tv, numerous board games, hundreds of books, ping pong, pool, and foos ball. On the roof there is a serene sitting space made of twigs. There are two pools, an adults only and main pool..both pools were kept clean. Each pool has a bar and you can order snacks there. There is an interpretative trail..which we loved, but the trail did seem to stop. We had to make our way back and could not finish. Because it is an ecological resort, there is not the same manicured landscape as a mainstream hotel; however, we did not miss this at all. The natural plant life was absolutely beautiful.
FOOD: The food was awesome! Authentic, and nicely presented. Breakfasts always had fresh cut papaya and pineapple. Lunches were delicious…we loved the guacamole and cerviches..not to be missed!! Dinner was delicious; however, we preferred ordering from the menu as opposed to the buffet.
TOURS: We took two tours: the Flamingo Reserve Tour and the Cenote and Hacienda Tour. The Flamingo tour was a ½ day combination sea and land tour, which we enjoyed immensely. The Cenote and Hacienda Tour was the highlight of our trip and should not be missed!! Alex, our personal tour guide, was just as enjoyable as the trip itself! He has a love for his city, country and culture and speaking to him about all that he knows was enlightening and inspiring. The cenotes were like nothing we had ever seen before. After swimming in two cenotes, we made our way to the Hacienda, where we had a most amazing lunch and learned so much! We went into town on our own one day for lunch, which was most enjoyable. The town of Celestun is quiet and we felt extremely safe. We were told to eat at one of the four “P” restaurants. We chose Los Pampanos, which was delicious! There were also various vendors on the beach selling handcrafted wares.
NEW YEARS CELEBRATION: A most amazing experience! The hotel took Mayan and Mexican cultural traditions, maintained their integrity, but added a personal warmth and so much fun for all who participated. We had an opportunity to meet the owner of the resort; and in speaking with her, realized that this is just not a business for her, it was a dream, a vision, that she was able to implement to a tee. Meeting her made everything come together for us and we were so happy to be able to tell her in person how much her resort meant to us and how our stay fulfilled us with memories we will cherish forever.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- XIXIM: a different alternative. Consciousness, love for intact nature, rediscovering yourself, high quality and the simplicity of our services are the secrets that we generously share in our paradise…Hotel XIXIM is an ecological paradise. Bordered by an unspoiled beach that stretches forever, a dwarf palm plantation and an abundance of indigenous vegetation, the environment here has always taken precedent over profit, in this very special, luxuriously rustic hotel. At present, we have 32 thatched cabanas, 24 junior suites with 2 four-poster double beds and 8 master suites with a king size bed, each with its own private verandah and en-suite bathroom. An extremely large thatched, double-story rondavel with sweeping views of the beach, golden sunsets and our pool area. Upstairs one will find El Santuario, our fully stocked bar and lounge area, and downstairs, our pride and joy, Restaurant Xixim. The buildings dramatic thatched roof with the longest, straightest tree trunk supports, graphically canopy your occasion.Our Wellness Center as a set of architectural human and natural elements: palapas and mangroves, buildings and coastal dunes, windows overlooking the emerald-green sea, open spaces yet of intimate dimensions, each and every one of them integrated to the pristine nature. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Tingo, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Otel so you can book your Hotel Xixim reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eco Paraiso Xixim Celestun
- Eco Paraiso Xixim Hotel Celestun