“Great hotel for non-gamblers” 5 of 5 stars

Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua do Visconde Paco de Arcos, Macau, China   |
Ranked #9 of 89 Hotels in Macau
UK
“Great hotel for non-gamblers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We recently had an overnight stop at the Sofitel Macau at ponte 16.

Its location was great for us since it is walking distance (about 15 min walk) from the old part of Macau, so, it was easy to see all the historical tourist attractions.

We upgraded to a Club room as it was a special occassion. We had a very pleasant spacious room with a river view. The Club Sofitel lounge was excellent and Diego, one of the staff there when we happened to be there, was very helpful. He even went out of his way to look up how to make a cocktail requested by my other half.

We tried the breakfast buffet in the morning. It was good, with lots of variety, though strangely, the dim sum was a bit disappointing. However, everything else was very good and the quality of the sweet/dessert section was exceptional. The macaroons and croissants, in particular, were scrumptious and a credit to the French hotel chain! Also, it was the first time we have ever seen a chocolate fountain at a breakfast buffet. No complaints though as my other half loved it! :)

The only small niggle we had with the hotel was the smell of smoke when you are in the lobby / lower floors as there is a casino there. However, we understand that this is Macau, and it is probably inevitable that most of the hotels in Macau will have a smoke filled casino some where on its premises.

All in all, we had a lovely time here and would be happy to come back again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Juan Pablo R, Quality Assurance Manager at Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Cher zoothemoo

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent stay at the Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16! We are very happy to learn that you had a marvelous time with us during your visit.

We have shared your comments with all our teams as we strongly know it will keep them motivated and with enough energy to keep up the great performance. Thank you for your nice compliments towards our Ambassadors in the Club Lounge, service and facilities.

The breakfast is in fact outstanding! Choices from all over the world are available. If you like DIM SUM then you definitely need to visit us in our 18th floor where we just opened our new Chinese restaurant Le Chinois.

We are looking forward to having you back soon!

Yours Sincerely,
J.P. Rodriguez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Laoag City, Laoag, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed here while on Business in Macau. Was my first time in Macau - might go back one day! Not sure if would stay here again though BUT only because there are not many taxi's at this hotel/casino!

I always read reviews here at Trip Advisor before I book a hotel BUT I never saw this complaint - now I do when I search for it.

The room was great - the hotel is WOW - because its a casino - the lobby is meant to WOW you and it does.

The room - wow - again! Huge room - facing the river (was supposed to be a city view BUT upgraded he claimed to river view - not sure if it is hahaha)! Bathroom - great - tons of hot water and HUGE water pressure - big tub and then the shower is by itself so very fancy!

Internet was great in the room - very very fast! I got it included with my room rate! I didn't get the breakfast buffet included - think is like $25 USD per person or something SO not doing that each day hahaha. There is food in the MJ Bar/lounge in the lobby - $12 for pasta etc etc and then is a McDonalds within a 10 minute walk down to the square where Watson's and the day/night market is - hotel can point you there!

Room had a great desk and chair and also another chair with a foot rest plus a huge bed and TV and closets and and and - 4 or 5 star for sure - great room and hotel BUT - the taxi problem.

I am not sure what the problem is - went to other hotels/casinos to shop and look around - all had taxii's out front like it should be - this hotel - NONE! I asked the door guy - where is the taxi stand - he said its faster to go to the street and get one hahaha. So ya - we tried - is lots of locals/Chinese there that can speak with the drivers so they get the taxi right PLUS if going to the airport - they get the taxi - if doing local or not going far - forget it! By the 2nd day I had enough and walked to places - when leaving THOUGH - hotel guy carries my luggage to the taxi stand and sent that guy to get my taxi SO maybe that is an option - the guy will work the street BUT even then - could be waiting!

Its not my hotel BUT I tell you - if you have a casino and a 5 star hotel - you should have a few taxis - even if paying them to be around etc - I mean COME ON - paying that per night and out in the street getting a taxi - that is like 1 star hotel - have traveled all over for last 6 years for business - 5 to 6 trips per year SO on the road a LOT and have NEVER had trouble like that getting a taxi!

Like I said - hotel is GREAT but without Taxi - mmm - would try another hotel again BUT if this is the best price - would allow for that problem AND would make them find me one BUT if you need to be someone to eat or to a show on time THEN this is problem AS just not many on the street in that area!

Cher Dean P

Thank you for taking the time to sharing with us your recent stay at the Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16. We are happy to learn that you had a great stay with us and that overall your experience inside the property was outstanding.

We are sorry to know that the lack of taxis around the area became a disappointing issue. We are well aware of this and have been trying hard to improve it. We have given special tokens to all taxis that return to Sofitel Macau frequently as well as being in touch with taxi companies via telephone call. We have taken every possible action to improve this city service and there has been a positive change for the past years. It is a shame that it was shown during your stay.

We will keep working the way we do with these companies to continue the improvement of the service.

Yours Sincerely,
Alkmaar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I've stayed in Macau a few times, but this was my best hotel experience so far. Especially if you are not there for the Casino's (although they one on-site of course), but more for tourism, it's a good place close to the old city centre, a bit away from the sleaziness and kitsch of the large casino's. Staff is professional and friendly, rooms are large, comfortable and clean, and food options are as you expect of a French hotel chain.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Juan Pablo R, Quality Assurance Manager at Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear TripAdvisor Member (aka E749b)

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent stay at the Sofitel Macau at Ponte16. We are delighted to read that you had an amazing time with us.

In fact, as you found out our hotel does not have a casino. For this reason, our guests come to enjoy a nice retreat out of the fuzz and buzz of popular areas in Macau. We are happy to know that the product, service and location of our property were up to your expectations.

Did you walk around Senado Square, the St. Paul Ruins and the Fortress? Aren't they breathtaking?

We are looking forward to your return!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

awesome hotel with love and care. I mentioned during my reservation that i would celebrate Valentine's day with my love one, and I'm very impressed on the preparation and arrangement from the hotel. They helped me reserve a club-floor-like superior with Valentine's theme decoration in the room with compliments of chocolate and Macaron. Hotel room is spacious and walking distance to attraction like Ruins of St. Paul’s. Hotel is providing shuttle service from the ferry jetty Free of Charge.

Room Tip: for normal superior room. The hotel do have few Club-Floor-like rooms for normal Superior Rooms with...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear TripAdvisor Member (aka kok fai t)

WOW! The photos are amazing. Thank you for taking the time to share with you great memories of your recent stay at the Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16. We are extremely happy to learn that you had a great time.

Sofitel Macau is always looking forward to welcome guests from all around the world and for all annual celebrations. We are honored to know that from all the hotels in the city, you chose us to enjoy a romantic Valentines day evening.

We have shared your review with all our team as we are sure this will motivate them to keep up with the great performance.

Are you coming for your anniversary or birthday soon?

We are looking forward to your return!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Well placed for Macau historical sites and away from the gambling strip.
Stayed in an Executive Floor Room which was spacious with lovely views. Breakfast was provided
in the Executive area (not so much choice as the main restaurant but much more peaceful)
Evening Canapes and drinks also provided. A lovely place to stay

Room Tip: Upgrade to the executive floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Juan Pablo R, Quality Assurance Manager at Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear TripAdvisor Member (aka footlooseski)

Thank you for sharing with us your recent visit at the Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16. We are happy to know that you had a wonderful time with us!

We have to agree with you. Our Club Lounge is heaven. Besides enjoying a wonderful room in the 17th or 16th floor with a breathtaking view, you can also enjoy your breakfast, afternoon tea and happy hour in our Lounge where our devoted staff will ensure that everything they prepare for you is up to Sofitel standards and your satisfaction. We are happy that their hard work paid off and that you had a memorable time!

Any plans to visit us soon? We are looking forward to your return!

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I spent 2 nights at The Sofitel Macau with business partners and clients.
We had a really nice stay. The rooms, service and staff were just excellent. I would especially like to thank Lucas for his particular attention and for making me and my clients feel at home during breakfast. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear TripAdvisor Member (aka Nawfel O)

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent stay at the Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16. We are very happy to learn that you had an amazing stay with us and that every detail of your visit was properly taken care of.

We have shared your review with all our management team and Ambassadors especially Lucas in Mistral who ensured you and your business partners were pampered properly.

Any plans to visit us again soon? We look forward to having you back!

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a night over Valentine's Day. The hotel is located on the Peninsula side of Macau, away from the glitz and glamour that characterises the Taipa/Cotai Strip area towards the south. However, this location is excellent for people who wish to sightsee among the historical sites of Macau. Most are in easy each of the hotel, and can be accessed by foot.

The hotel lobby is grand and opulent, but not appearing pretentious. At check-in we were warmly greeted by Joanna, who dealt with our numerous questions with ease. Joanna was well informed and even wished us a happy anniversary. We were directed to our deluxe room, facing the sea, with a fantastic view of China. The room itself was very tastefully decorated, and well lit. The bathroom was luxurious, and we were delighted to see the room adorned with rose petals, as well as macarons and truffles as gifts. Wifi was available in all areas of the hotel, with a surprisingly fast and stable connection. There was a slight mishap where our bags were not delivered to our room, and we ended up having to head back to the concierge to pick them up ourselves, but we can attribute that to miscommunication between the check-in and concierge counters, so in all, not really a deal breaker.

We toured the hotel facilities, and the pool and pool area were very large. The gym was also very big, and well equipped. After returning from sightseeing, we inadvertently used the wrong entrance and ended up inside the Michael Jackson themed bar/museum in the hotel, which was a very nice surprise. There's a lot of rare memorabilia and merchandise available. Even if you have a passing interest in MJ, I'd definitely recommend that you visit.

Just be aware that sometimes taxis are difficult to come by. There is a period of time where taxis cannot be flagged from the taxi area, due to road congestion, as well as taxi shift changeovers. But even during other times, we found ourselves having to compete with a bunch of other guests for a small number of taxis. If you are in a hurry, just be wary of this fact, and try to book something early, or organise another form of transport.

The hotel contains a casino on the lobby level, but it does not pervade the hotel experience, which is good news for non-gamblers. We attempted to walk the gaming floor, but as per usual, Asian casinos allow smoking, and as my wife is asthmatic, we decided not to go any further. However, I do recognise that this is merely a difference in culture, and if non-smoking gambling is your thing, then perhaps Asia is not the wisest gaming destination for you. However the gaming floor looked nice.

Next stop was the hotel restaurants. As it was Valentine's Day, most restaurants in Macau were doing set price, fixed menus. As we have dietary restrictions, the idea did not seem that appealing to us. Mistral was undertaking the set menu so we crossed that one off. Unfortunately, Prive was booked out so that was not an option. We ended up dining at the fantastic Le Chinois on the top level of the hotel. I understand this restaurant is fairly new, with the dining focus being on authentic high class cantonese dishes. In Australia, fine dining and Cantonese are rarely done well together, so we were a bit hesitant. However, once the very welcoming and friendly hosts and wait staff greeted us, we were put at ease. Upon being informed of our dietary restrictions, they made good meal suggestions, and informed the chef. The interior of the restaurant is gorgeous, and every dish we tried was delicious. At the end of the meal, the restaurant were lovely enough to provide a free dessert in the form of a black sesame seed dumpling in sweet ginger soup. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be anything either of us would ever order, but we decided to give it a try. We are glad we did, because it is one of the best tasting desserts I've ever had. The complexity of flavour, the light sweetness, it was the perfect way to end a meal. As we had dined quite late, we ended up staying well past the restaurant's closing time, but the staff were extremely polite and did not seek to rush us out the door. I'm well aware that in Asia, you can usually eat excellent street food for very cheap, but I feel that on this occasion, the restaurant was very reasonably priced, and the number of dishes was amazing. If you are staying at the hotel, or even if you're just visiting, I'd advise you to have some dishes here.

Later that night we made a number of service calls, as I kept forgetting things I needed. The staff were understanding and polite, despite the numerous calls I made. To me, that's the sign of 5 star service. The only downside was that we were visiting Macau during one of its coldest winters in 18 years. The airconditioner didn't appear to warm up and the room became quite cold overnight. We made enquiries to the front desk, where the Manager in charge informed us that since Macau is generally warm, the hotel does not have a reverse cycle system installed, and the airconditioners only work to cool the rooms, not warm them. Thankfully, they provided a small electric column heater for us to use overnight. I understand that paying for a system that most likely won't be used is not cost effective, and that it's not so good for the environment. But I firmly believe that at a 5 star level of service, it should be up to the customer to determine what temperature they want to set in the room, no matter how silly it may seem objectively. Therefore, it is up to the hotel to provide options to let the customer do this. If a customer wants to put the heater on in summer, or use the airconditioner in winter, that's not for the hotel to remove the freedom to choose.

After a very comfortable sleep, we had a buffet breakfast in mistral. The spread was quite good, with varied items such as fresh fruit, indian, chinese, european and other international options. The kitchen handled a relatively busy dining morning very well. Once it was time to leave, check out was a breeze.

Overall, the stay was excellent, and if we ever find ourselves back in Macau, I would stay here again. If my friends are traveling to this part of the world, I would definitely recommend this hotel to them. I felt that the room was great value (with breakfast included), and that club access wasn't required.

Room Tip: Try to stay a little higher up to avoid street noise. The view of the sea is very nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear TripAdvisor Member (aka aandsaustralia)

Wow! We felt all types of excitement while reading your review. Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience and for trusting us with such a memorable celebration for you both.

I believe you very much covered all our services and facilities! Did you have time to enjoy a nice treatment in our So Spa? If not, we highly suggest booking a signature massage for your next visit. You will not regret it.

In fact, Le Chinois opened in January 2014 and it has been welcomed by our customers and guests with great reviews. We personally love the DIM SUM! Did you try the mango pudding?

We are looking forward to your next visit!
Thank you for your loyalty.

J.P. Rodriguez

Been to Sofitel Macau at Ponte 16? Share your experiences!