“Not Quite 5 Star” 3 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 stars 118 Reviews
Manila, Philippines
“Not Quite 5 Star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

For my first stay in Macau I selected the Altira, mainly due to the revues here. Alot of effort has gone into making a stylish contemporary hotel, but it lacks character. The rooms were well appointed, with good views of mainland Macau. The bathroom and large circular bath were great. The bed was comfy. However the lighting system was very complicated and I could not find any way to turn off the bright light over the bed without turning off the master switch for all the lights in the room. I wish hotels would stop making switching on and off a light so complicated. The room did not have any power adaptors, but the receptionist sent one up quickly. Likewise at one point the internet was unavailable, but they managed to get it working again quickly. The breakfast options were very basic to say the least. The location of the hotel is good, as it is located in between the Cotai strip and the mainland part of Macau. The pool is indoor but seems nice enough. Some of the staff in the hotel have absolutely no English, which surprised me for a 5 star hotel in such a major gambling city.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

I recently visited this place on a romantic getaway weekend with my wife and we were both blown away by the service and our room itself. The staff was incredibly professional and very heplful, plus they all speak very good english. It is a beautiful hotel and our entire experience was great. I would suggest this place to anyone. Especially couples. Plus, they have great package deals!

The room was very modern and well layed out. It is not a huge room by western standards, but by eastern standards I could live in it happily. The bathroom has a shower, dual sinks, and a tub big enought to easily fit 2 adults. My only complaint of the entire stay was the bed was a bit harder than preferred.

Our package deal came with a round trip ride from the ferry terminal and breakfast for 2 in the morning. The food was top notch and one breakfast would have filled us both up. We also tried the chinese restaurant in the hotel (which was good, but no where near as amazing as breakfast).

Overall, this place is great and we will be staying here when we need another quick get away. If Macau were Vegas this hotel would cost 2-3 times the price we paid (so we are glad Macua is not Vegas).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012 via mobile

We just come back from a one night stay there. We had a large and quiet room overlooking the bay. The hotel is not exactly in the center, but around one kilometer from the main places (casinos) of the island, and free limousine transportation is offered to and from Macau. The swimming pool, sauna and hammam are great, the breakfast far from being exceptional.

• Stayed February 2012
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I booked thru the hotel website and stayed for 2 nights. We liaises thru email a lot and they very prompt in replying email.

We're greeted at Macau ferry terminal and the personnel attendant was very professional. He started by asking if I got places I like to visit and they'll try the best to arrange for us. And they did !! They helped to booked a restaurant and arrange the taxi so once we're down to the 1st floor, the taxi is ready in front of the hotel. No need worry if you shop a lot as the bell attendants there is very helpful.

Upon arrival at the hotel, we go straight to 38 floor for check-in and once we reached there, we greeted by the staffs with a genuine smile.

We booked waterfront room and the room is spacious for 3 persons. The view is magnificent. The fridge is filled with beers and can drinks and will replenish everyday. Housekeeping twice per day. So we fill very relaxing and enjoyable everytime we back to hotel and the room had cleaned with a soft music on !!

Breakfast is great and lovely. And the 38 lounge is great also. The band play a good music and the place is very relaxing. We can sit there for 2 hours and the snacks will replenish once finished.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the service and hospitality provided from them. And also 1 thing good about Altira is the entrance to the casino and lobby is separated. Will return to Altira if travel to Macau again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Seabeck
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

This was my second stay at the Altira. We booked it on short notice but had no problems at all with our reservation. We arrived at the lobby and the staff still remembered my name and when I was there the last time. Very impressive.
We got to our room right away without waiting at check in at all and everything was done in our room. The view from the room was very nice and the room itself was spacious and clean.
We used their restaurant for brunch which was excellent. They combined the Italian and Japanese restaurant for brunch which was interesting.
Using the Spa was just icing on the cake and so relaxing. They have an amazing couples room which I can highly recommend using.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Read many great comments online and decided to get it a try. I booked a weekend get away package which included roundtrip ferry, limo pickup and drop off, one night hotel, massage for two, and clothes services for two. I was excited with the services until the end. Got picked up at the airport with a van (not a limo as described), leather seats, but comfortable. The staffs were nice and helpful. Many people on tripadvisor said they experienced free upgrades, but I guess I wasn't the lucky one when the hotel was empty (i checked in on a Wednesday). Not a big deal, I didn't pay for it so I wasn't expecting it. The room was nice and we had a great time at the spa. Since my package includes clothes services for two items, I decided to use it on my jeans and dress, AND I double checked with the lady and she said "yes, two pieces". When I picked up my clothes after i checked out, they handed me a bill for 253 Macau money. I told the front desk that my package should have included the two items and the guy said "yes they do, sorry about that" So when I was walking out to get a taxi (the package should include roundtrip pickup and drop off and they didn't offer that when I was leaving. I ordered a taxi since taxi is cheap in Macau. Then the guy ran down to the taxi and said "sorry, the two items includes PRESSING ONLY, not cleaning." I told him that I checked with your staffs and they told me the two pieces of clothing were included and yourself had also confirmed that they were included, at the last minutes, you said they were NOT????? My answer from Altria was "sorry for the miscommunication, $253 Macau money please"

I gave them the money, but I will not return to the hotel again. The rooms were nice, but just be careful if you are using their services, charges could be expensive or unknown.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
York, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed for two nights mid week in October. We booked a harbour view room and a couple of days before arrival we were notified that renovation work was going to be taking place in some of the rooms. We were naturally concerned so we contacted the hotel and we were immediately offered an upgrade to a suite. Upon arrival at Macau ferry terminal we were met by a hotel rep and quickly transferred to a waiting car. The hotel is away from the centre of Taipa Island but two minutes from the middle bridge to Macau - we found this a very convenient location. The hotel has two entrances - one for the casino and restaurants and the other for hotel guests - excellent. We were taken to the reception on the 38th floor and then to our suite. The suite was enormous - a spacious living / dining area, guest toilet, main bedroom, dressing room, walk in shower, main bathroom and separate toilet. The room was well appointed with plenty of special touches such as fresh fruit and complimentary soft drinks. The other facilities that we used included the swimming pool - lovely infinity pool, the chinese restaurant - we had Dim Sum - pricey but tasty and the Italian - we only had breakfast here - waiter service with a huge choice. We also made use of the spa - massage and use of the couple chamber - again excellent. The only disappointment was the Monsoon Cafe - it didn't have many of the dishes mentioned in the hotel guide and its location is in the middle of the casino area.
A general point about dining in Macau is that they haven't passed any smoking laws - so if you don't like smoke with your dinner make sure you ask for a non-smoking table.
We had a fantastic trip and the only signs of the renovation work were a few men with ladders!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Altira Hotel? Share your experiences!