“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 85 hotels in Macau
Geneva, Switzerland
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012 via mobile

We just come back from a one night stay there. We had a large and quiet room overlooking the bay. The hotel is not exactly in the center, but around one kilometer from the main places (casinos) of the island, and free limousine transportation is offered to and from Macau. The swimming pool, sauna and hammam are great, the breakfast far from being exceptional.

• Stayed February 2012

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I booked thru the hotel website and stayed for 2 nights. We liaises thru email a lot and they very prompt in replying email.

We're greeted at Macau ferry terminal and the personnel attendant was very professional. He started by asking if I got places I like to visit and they'll try the best to arrange for us. And they did !! They helped to booked a restaurant and arrange the taxi so once we're down to the 1st floor, the taxi is ready in front of the hotel. No need worry if you shop a lot as the bell attendants there is very helpful.

Upon arrival at the hotel, we go straight to 38 floor for check-in and once we reached there, we greeted by the staffs with a genuine smile.

We booked waterfront room and the room is spacious for 3 persons. The view is magnificent. The fridge is filled with beers and can drinks and will replenish everyday. Housekeeping twice per day. So we fill very relaxing and enjoyable everytime we back to hotel and the room had cleaned with a soft music on !!

Breakfast is great and lovely. And the 38 lounge is great also. The band play a good music and the place is very relaxing. We can sit there for 2 hours and the snacks will replenish once finished.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the service and hospitality provided from them. And also 1 thing good about Altira is the entrance to the casino and lobby is separated. Will return to Altira if travel to Macau again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Seabeck
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

This was my second stay at the Altira. We booked it on short notice but had no problems at all with our reservation. We arrived at the lobby and the staff still remembered my name and when I was there the last time. Very impressive.
We got to our room right away without waiting at check in at all and everything was done in our room. The view from the room was very nice and the room itself was spacious and clean.
We used their restaurant for brunch which was excellent. They combined the Italian and Japanese restaurant for brunch which was interesting.
Using the Spa was just icing on the cake and so relaxing. They have an amazing couples room which I can highly recommend using.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Read many great comments online and decided to get it a try. I booked a weekend get away package which included roundtrip ferry, limo pickup and drop off, one night hotel, massage for two, and clothes services for two. I was excited with the services until the end. Got picked up at the airport with a van (not a limo as described), leather seats, but comfortable. The staffs were nice and helpful. Many people on tripadvisor said they experienced free upgrades, but I guess I wasn't the lucky one when the hotel was empty (i checked in on a Wednesday). Not a big deal, I didn't pay for it so I wasn't expecting it. The room was nice and we had a great time at the spa. Since my package includes clothes services for two items, I decided to use it on my jeans and dress, AND I double checked with the lady and she said "yes, two pieces". When I picked up my clothes after i checked out, they handed me a bill for 253 Macau money. I told the front desk that my package should have included the two items and the guy said "yes they do, sorry about that" So when I was walking out to get a taxi (the package should include roundtrip pickup and drop off and they didn't offer that when I was leaving. I ordered a taxi since taxi is cheap in Macau. Then the guy ran down to the taxi and said "sorry, the two items includes PRESSING ONLY, not cleaning." I told him that I checked with your staffs and they told me the two pieces of clothing were included and yourself had also confirmed that they were included, at the last minutes, you said they were NOT????? My answer from Altria was "sorry for the miscommunication, $253 Macau money please"

I gave them the money, but I will not return to the hotel again. The rooms were nice, but just be careful if you are using their services, charges could be expensive or unknown.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
York, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed for two nights mid week in October. We booked a harbour view room and a couple of days before arrival we were notified that renovation work was going to be taking place in some of the rooms. We were naturally concerned so we contacted the hotel and we were immediately offered an upgrade to a suite. Upon arrival at Macau ferry terminal we were met by a hotel rep and quickly transferred to a waiting car. The hotel is away from the centre of Taipa Island but two minutes from the middle bridge to Macau - we found this a very convenient location. The hotel has two entrances - one for the casino and restaurants and the other for hotel guests - excellent. We were taken to the reception on the 38th floor and then to our suite. The suite was enormous - a spacious living / dining area, guest toilet, main bedroom, dressing room, walk in shower, main bathroom and separate toilet. The room was well appointed with plenty of special touches such as fresh fruit and complimentary soft drinks. The other facilities that we used included the swimming pool - lovely infinity pool, the chinese restaurant - we had Dim Sum - pricey but tasty and the Italian - we only had breakfast here - waiter service with a huge choice. We also made use of the spa - massage and use of the couple chamber - again excellent. The only disappointment was the Monsoon Cafe - it didn't have many of the dishes mentioned in the hotel guide and its location is in the middle of the casino area.
A general point about dining in Macau is that they haven't passed any smoking laws - so if you don't like smoke with your dinner make sure you ask for a non-smoking table.
We had a fantastic trip and the only signs of the renovation work were a few men with ladders!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I travel all over Asia for work, and when I went to Macau last month, I managed to get 3 nights at this hotel. Just to say it didn't disappoint.
I don't write many reviews but this hotel was worth the time to come here and write one.
Everything from the spectacular view from my room to the service to the amazing Italian restaurant exceeded expectations.
Even the bar/lounge on the 38th floor and band were great.
Great value for what you get.
If you want the best place to stay in Macau this is it

Room Tip: Get a room with the view of the main Macau island, fantastic view at night
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

I normally do not write reviews as i am not very good at writing them, but this hotel has compelled me to do that for all the good reasons.

the moment i booked the hotel the things started to roll, I got a mail stating that we should inform them about our travel plans, which we did, and as promised everything happened well on time.

The moment we reached the hotel the personalised service was so great that i cant put it in words, we were upgraded to a corner suite the moment we checked in the suite is a pleasure to stay in, the service and courtesy and helpfulness shown by the staff is the best i have experienced so far in all my trips around the world.

We had dinner at tetmasa which was again as good as i have had in japan of not made better by the attention and care taken during the meal.

the breakfast in the morning was also refreshingly personalised and hit the right notes.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody planning a trip to Macau just to experience it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Altira Hotel? Share your experiences!