“Staffs are inexperienced but hotel is lovely” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Estrada do Engenheiro Trigo No. 1-5, Macau, China   |
Ranked #34 of 85 Hotels in Macau
London, United Kingdom
2,428 helpful votes 2,428 helpful votes
“Staffs are inexperienced but hotel is lovely”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

The hotel has a great location which is just behind the city centre but it is away from all the old monuments or cathedrals areas. You have to walk a fair bit into the city centre so that you can get to the see the cathedrals. The city centre is vibrant and has lots to see. The hotel itself is very pretty and the room is very old school portugese style. I will recommend friends to stay there but do avoid talking to the hotel receptionists because they are quite unhelpful and inexperienced. They even asked us to catch a taxi to the hotel from the ferry terminal as their pick up bus has missed us the first time. Not a good enough service i guess. By the way, the hotel has a nightclub downstair...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011 via mobile

Nice, clean rooms in a not too big hotel. I ordered thru hotels.com for only 66$ a night.
They were generous with early check in, and late check out.
AC is great. There is also a night club (Chinese brothel apparently) at the first floor.

• Stayed June 2011
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Unfortunately we did not know about the free ferry shuttle, but we were surprised that the taxi ride to Guia was so short. We were greeted very friendly at the door, staff at reception unfortunately spoke very poor English so the check in did take a while and our questions were not all answered. Our room was pretty, and we loved the bathroom incl a tub! (We've been travelling for a while and we had to get used to not having a proper bathroom most of the time). There's free Wi-Fi in the room which is great (there is also free Wi-Fi in most parts of Macau!)
Walking down town to the historical part is no problem. The shopping area starts like 5 mins walk away from the hotel, main sights are about 15 mins on foot...
Breakfast was not included and we did not eat in the hotel.
Defenitely go to Taipa, where we had a really lovely afternoon out!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

I booked this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews and I found that I'm not disappointed. I love the building; it looks like Sofitel Arc de Triomphe in Paris. Very beautiful. Location of the hotel is quite good although it might be quite annoying if you have to walk up the hill every time you go back to the hotel.

Finding taxi is very easy and queue line is very short since it's only small hotel. As a comparison, I see that taxi queue line is a problem in five stars hotel in Macau, while it's also an advantage if you booked smaller hotel so you would get taxi easily, especially if you are hurry to the airport.

The room is somewhat average, but it's OK for Macau-HK standard, I've booked two deluxe rooms and placed on the 3rd floor so I could sleep without any disturbances from the playmates club on the basement floor. The bed is hard as rock, but the pillow is ok. Wi-fi is available for free but I’ve found out that when we entering the room, the Wi-Fi signal were lost probably because we stayed in the corner floor, so if you would like to have Wi-Fi in the room, please ask to be moved to the central or near the elevator. There's neither complimentary mineral water nor bread as reviewed by other tripadvisor members. When I asked about this, they said that there were no longer provide neither complimentary mineral water nor bread. :(

Check-in and check-out were frustrating since the reception staffs are hardly to speak English. I spent almost an hour to check-in since my friend who booked the hotel didn't come and the reception said that I would not get the room. I explained that we already paid for the rooms. Fortunately the staffs are polite and tried to help (themselves) so it's ok for us. When I was check-out, the staffs also wrongly charged us for extra bed that actually we've already paid. But, i think it's another misunderstanding from the staffs and forgivable. I think that I still recommend this hotel for other TA members since it's really good value.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

Didnt know what to expect with this hotel, it seemed to have the best TripAdvisor rating/price ratio, but I have been disappointed before. I booked one night (a Saturday) so that I could change if needed but I was quite pleased with it. Best of all, when I booked a second night (a Sunday) I found that the price dropped by about half.

The location is not bad and pretty convenient, you can take a nice 10~15 minute walk (down hill) to the casinos in the city (most notably Wynn, MGM, etc). Otherwise, the hotel offers a free shuttle to the Macau Ferry terminal where you can get free shuttles to any of the casinos (such as if you want to go to the Cotai strip) from there.

The room was very clean, although some might complain that it is a bit too small. As an extra bonus (for some, at least...) there is a strip club in the basement of the hotel... not a bad surprise, although I have to give the club fewer stars than the hotel gets...

• Stayed March 2011
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

Nice hotel. Clean and cosy. But a bit quiet at night. Can walk to town day time night better take a cab.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Boracay, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

it's our first Macau trip and we're able to booked at this Hotel thru Agoda. we gave us a twin bedroom as what we've requested, the room was well cleaned with good facilities. near to some famous casinos just like Wynn, MGM Grand and Grand Lisboa. they are also offering a free shuttle service going to the terminal/port (to Hongkong). Will surely comeback at this Hotel for my next Macau trip.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Guia Hotel? Share your experiences!