“A gem!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pousada de Mong-Ha

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macau
Pousada de Mong-Ha
You added Pousada de Mong-Ha to your Saves list
Colina de Mong-Ha, Macau, China   |
Ranked #3 of 85 Hotels in Macau
4.5 of 5 stars 326 Reviews
Stafford
“A gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here-it is excellent value and everone is so friendly and very helpful. It is a place that you will remember rather than soluless hotels that all look the same.The shuttle bus is useful-stops outside the Grand Lisboa-do go inside as it is like a museum of wonderful Chinese artefacts in the lobby. We walked back from the centre, going via the Old Protestant Cemetery (see my review if you want more info.) and it isn't too far, passing some interesting market areas on the way . The climb up the hill at the end isn't bad but would be uncomfortable if you were carrying suitcases. You can also go to the A Ma temple on the shuttle and walk back to the centre along a heritage route. Pick up free tourist brochures and a map at the hotel. Do go to the Educational Restaurant, it is excellent and so convenient as it is next to the Pousada. It has just gained a Michelin star but is not over the top in price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

From the outlook to the inside room decorations, you just could not imagine such a magnificent Hotel in Macau in such a "hard to find" place. It offers limited rooms only as the hotel mainly serves training students (i.e. training opportunities for students) Best services with least prices !
Do remember to book the set dinner for two in the teaching restaurant in advance by email (no public holidays and weekdays service only).

Room Tip: Book early as limited rooms available
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

It was really a pleasant experience staying in this place, the service was excellent. The lady at the front desk was so thoughtful, when we inquired about buses , she was reactive in giving us the bus routes and coins for bus usage. we were really touched by her gesture.

The rooms were too big and comfortable for two of us. The ambiance was so good after a week long stay in HK. The hotel is just a few distance from casinos, buses were ample to reach downtown. Check with the crew for ur destination anyways.

The shuttle bus was on time.

Hats off to the staffs in Pousada de Mong-Ha!!!

We will stay there for next time and try the food also.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I booked pousada a few months in advance and had no problem securing a room. Upon arrival I took bus no. 5, which costed me 3.2 Macau $, and approximately 30mins to reach the Macau tv station. The hotel is not too difficult to find. Simply walk down the street against the bus direction, at about 80-100m turn right, continue about 20m and turn right. You will see a steep slope (approx 50m) to the hotel. There is a small sign board showing the hotel name at the entrance to the slope, but you will only see the hotel after passing through their campus first. If you are lost, ask the people around. They are generally friendly however speak limited English. So learn a few words of Cantonese or mandarin on direction will help tremendously.

Walking up the slope is not easy for people coming with heavy luggages, carrying children or having some physical constraints. An alternative is to take a cab to the hotel.

As I understood from some tourists it takes 20mins to walk from the ferry terminal to the hotel only, but I have not really tried that since the bus fare in Macau town is a straight 3.2 Macau $. If you are using hong kong $, remember to keep small coins to be used either in the bus or buying snacks. Generally Macau shops accept hong kong coins except $10 coins and $5 coins.The banks there do not take in these coins from small merchants. If needed, you can change for some coins with the concierge at pousada. $20 should be sufficient for a person. Hong kong Fiat $ is not a problem there since the exchange rate is close to 1:1. Try not to use Chinese yuan (RMB) there. Though it's acceptable in Macau, the merchants will usually convert at the exchange rate of 1:1 so you lose out using RMB.

You can take the shuttle bus from the hotel to the tourist attractions, and take either a cab or bus back to the hotel. The concierge is very friendly and they can recommend many interesting places to visit. There's plenty of brochures and maps at the counter for you to choose from.

I was looking for the handmade cookies recommended by the other Tripadvisor reviewers however was told that the hotel had stopped this service. Instead, they offered photo taking however it was not done during my stay. Not a big issue anyway.

The breakfast is ok and the service is excellent. I stayed in a standard room and it is compact yet fully equipped. The room is clean, and the free WIFI is strong. I like the sky garden and the walking trail up the hill. They are all worth visit.

One thing that I don't feel comfortable is the carved wooden bed frame and the dragon drawings on the wall. The dragon drawing faces the bed directly so waking up with the creature staring at me makes me uneasy. Anyway, this is a personal preference. During check out a hotel cleaner helped me to move my luggage to the ground floor even though she was on the way to clean up other rooms. That little gesture touched me very much and it is a good stay overall.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor since the hotel does not have an elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My partner and I had 24 hours in Macau - we were not interested in the casinos at all - just wanted to break up the trip to Hong Kong and see what Macau had to offer. We chose Pousada de Mong-Ha based on reviews on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. The hotel itself is a little out of the city and the casino strips - which is a good thing.

It is easily accessible by bus or taxi -- once you know which bus to catch and the staff at the hotel are very helpful in this regard. Make sure you pick up a hotel business card that has the name in Chinese - this will help the tax drivers.

We missed out on dinner at the hotel - so book in as soon as you book your room or you will miss out! We enjoyed their breakfast though - which is on par with any hotel breakfast.

The room itself (a suite) was very spacious and comfortable with great attention to cleanliness, care for the environment and also includes a safe and a computer/wifi.

All in all a fantastic experience and well worth it if you are considering a mystery trip (as opposed to a gambling trip). Make sure you visit Coloane while you are there too and have the best egg tart outside of Portugal!

Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I exchanged various emails with the hotel staff before my trip trying to get my trip extended over the Christmas holidays. Unfortunately, the hotel was fully booked and I was able to book just one day. Due to the traffic in Manila, I missed my flight to Macau and had to arrive the morning after my scheduled arrival. The hotel staff allowed me to use the room for a few hours to rest and they waived my cancellation penalty. Even though I was only there for a few hours, I can understand the reasons the hotel receive such high ratings for their services.

The room itself was older but it's located in a very "local" part of town. There are nice local restaurants surrounding the area with a big market that sells export clothing. A great location and I will definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

From inquiring, reserving, until checking out - superb service from this cute pousada. We arrived the pousada around 9AM w/c is too early for our check-in time (3PM) however, my fiance was soooo tired, he did not mind sleeping in the lobby and he was snoring really loud. The receptionist was really friendly, knows english and I did not have a hard time talking to her. I told her we can wait for the room because we are really tired. After 20 mins, we were told we can get the Deluxe room (instead of Standard) because my fiance is already sleeping in the lobby. =) They were even apologetic because they were not able to accomodate us earlier.

The deluxe room (ROOM104) was the best room we had in Macau. It's better than the Venetian. It is simple, but everything is in there. The compter room, the toilet, the A/C, the cabinets and the bed, we fell in love with the bed. My fiance loves sleeping so much he talked about pousada's bed till we arrive in our country. Because of pousada's bed, he bought me one when we came back from the trip!

The amenities were just right. I liked the idea where guests can request for a harder pillow or a softer pillow, and I love the scenic view in the balcony. I wish we could stay in pousada for a week.

The location though was a bit of a trouble when we arrive Macau. I wanted to challenge myself to take the public transportation but then, we were tired all night playing in Cotai Strip so we decided to take the cab from Cotai to Pousada (70MOP). But after that, we were able to take the public transportation going to Pousada.

I love everything in this pousada, the breakfast, the view from the balcony, the people from the reception, even the friendly guests. I love the interior of the room, and the nitty gritty details like the personal welcome card where in our names are there & my fiance loved it.

Take note: We stayed in this hotel/pousada for like 90% of the time we were checked in. Haha! we did not bother going out.

Definitely, our one & only choice the next time we visit Macau. :) No more Cotai hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pousada de Mong-Ha? Share your experiences!