“modest but best accommodation in macau” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pousada de Mong-Ha

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macau
Pousada de Mong-Ha
You added Pousada de Mong-Ha to your Saves list
Colina de Mong-Ha, Macau, China   |
Ranked #3 of 85 Hotels in Macau
4.5 of 5 stars 326 Reviews
Cebu, Philippines
“modest but best accommodation in macau”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

stayed one night and 2 days last Dec 2011 in pousada de mongha, superb room and place is near the city center attraction. also has free coaster to take you to the landmarks. Highly recommended for family and couples.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

They deserved all the praises rewarded by other reviewers. there are separated rooms for sleeping, reading and bathing. all are clean and well-maintained. There are free wi-fi in the room and they even provide computer for free.

You must try their breakfast which is simple, but delicious.The toast bread is so fresh and taste so good that I missed it so much when I have breakfast in other hotel later. As for the 3-flavoured home-made jam, it is another unforgettable food which should not be missed. It's said that their restaurant is also very famous. We planned to have a lunch there, but unforunatly, there was some functions on that day. We will definately try it next time when we go to Macau.

They provide 1-way free shuttle bus to city centre twice a day, You can take a taxi back, or walk back if you don't mind. Anyway, it is only 2-4 KM at most.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Lelystad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

This was already the 5th time we stayed in the Pousada de Mong Ha and as usual it was excelent.
We usualy had a suite but this time we did choose a superior room, and just like the suite it was very comfortable.
All the staff is very friendly and helpful.
In very noisy Macau the Pousada is an oasis of tranquillity.
Some people may have a problem walking uphill but the taxi's are so cheap that this can't be a problem.
Also the IFT restaurant is, as usual, very good and not to expensive.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

This hotel was a real find - super helpful staff, good breakfast, fair price. Its walking distance to a great vegetarian restaurant as well as to other interesting sights in the city. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011 via mobile

Stayed 3 nites in November 2011. The reception impress us by acknowlding me by name when we enter the hotel for checkin. We were personally escot to our room to ensure everything is in order & at our satisfaction. We hv a huge deluxe room wif balcony facing the germs garden & front window facing the main walkway up/down the hill. Shuttlebus was prompt. Breakfast was good with some variances daily. They hv nice highchair for my girl :) ambience was cozy & safe for my girl to wonder around, unlike the casino hotels in city that was crowed & noisy & smoky. Location maybe a bit far & inconvenient if u plan to return to hotel midday & go out again as cab is not so readily available in Macau & ave waiting time in q is 20min. Overall a great experience worth recommending.

• Stayed November 2011
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

The staff was very lovely and the service was extraordinary. There happened to be a typhoon during our stay, and the hotel staff was regularly updating guests with current information on the typhoon. Everything was shut that day due to the typhoon, and the staff was well prepared with lunch and dinner set menu all ready for guests who've got no where to go!! During our stay in Macau, we forgot to request for staying an extra night and returned to the hotel at 7pm, 4 hours after check-out time. The hotel staff attempted to call us but the internation roaming wasn't working that well. They were still very nice and polite towards us and booked us into the room. It was during the "Golden Week" in October, long public holidays in HK, Macau and mainland China. We were so lucky that there was a cancellation on the day, so that they could keep our room for us. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is going to Macau. :D

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My first visit to Macao was an immense delight. The city is eclectic, with stunning ruins of history alongside modern gambling dens made up to the limit of man's imagination (and money). I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and one of the reasons why I would definitely return to Macao will be the Pousada de Mong-Ha, the hotel I stayed in.

The Hotel

The Pousada de Mong-Ha is a unique hotel, being attached to the Institute for Tourism Studies in Macao. It's essentially a learning hotel, with excellent staff members who are the teachers for the student placements here. And because of the environment of teaching, the service quality and offerings are so up there that it's insane. I would give it 5-stars for service because every guest here will feel like they're royalty... at prices far more affordable.

The Pousada de Mong-Ha isn't the biggest hotel out there so early reservations are necessary. It's also located a little off the tourist path but it's not too far away. I basically walked from the hotel to the main tourist district and it took me a pleasant 30 minutes. If you're adverse to exercise, there's a scheduled shuttle bus to popular tourist spots or just get a taxi. The hotel is also located mid-way up the Mong-Ha hill of which there's a fort and a public space just further up, good for some sightseeing or to walk off a big dinner.

I really liked the ambiance and decor of the hotel. The lobby is unpretentious but tasteful. It's really immaculate and the Portuguese touches are refreshing. It's a change from the franchise lodgings offering the personal touch you get from small establishments but the comfort level of the major hotels.

The design language is very consistent. The same theme is echoed throughout and this beautiful study table in the lobby is also found in my room. Very cool.

I enjoy the blue-glaze pictorial tiles found throughout the hotel and in historical Macao. It's a huge improvement from the blase mass-produced kitsch you find in most other hotels... really, another oil painting of a flower?

Getting to the room is a delight as well! Everything's really closeby (it's a small place after all) so discovering a few of these courtyards (all with water features, though different ones) makes the space feel bigger than it is... and a whole lot more welcoming. The airiness, the simplicity, the patterns... everything worked together to just put you at ease, welcomed, and happy to just be there.

The rooms are beautifully numbered and it may seem low-tech from the outside but the rooms are well equipped, beginning with the touch entry doors.

The hotel claims to have a gym but I didn't have time to explore it. There's a herb garden out back and also an Educational Restaurant which I didn't have time to try (heard it's really good).

The Room

I booked the cheapest room which was a little cosy (as in small-ish but still a good size). The room is nicely lit (though bulbs take a while to fully warm-up to full brightness) and definitely one of the best in terms of amenities. The decor is inviting and tasteful, and the hotel is thoughtful enough to include lots of maps and city guides.

In terms of amenities, first up, the bed is excellent! Nice and firm with enough give and softness without being mushy. Given how hotel rooms are mostly for sleeping, this bed is blissful... I slept like a log.

I also liked the pillow menu. I abhor pillows so soft they're basically non-existent when you lie on them. The medium ones worked best for me and because they were in the wardrobe, I ended up having 6 pillows to toss about in. Nice!

The room had a good sized flat-screen TV but what rocked it was cable TV! I could watch all the shows I liked on familiar channels such as Discovery, HBO, and AXN. Very very nice.

Other than the complimentary drinking water (all hotels should offer this, really)... the Pousada de Mong-Ha goes a step further by giving a complimentary cookie! It's a monster sized one made in the Macanese way... almonds with berries.

And the best part, all rooms come with its own computer! Speedy WiFi is already complimentary but if your notebook is too hefty to lug, leave it behind and use the desktop. It's in decent condition, very useful, and Internet connected of course. It's a really welcomed amenity especially for planning your next day's travel agenda.

I have no rave reviews for the bathroom other than that it is functional with good water pressure. I am definitely not a fan of the glass door which I can imagine can be quite challenging for those travelling with friends. Plus, opening the room door gives you a full view of the glass door of the bathroom, specifically the toilet bowl. So if you're with someone, best to knock before coming in the room.

I like the massage shower but the stall is just too small to make full use of this. I like the full-sized tumblers of shower gel and shampoo. I find those teeny weeny bottles such a waste and very annoying to use.

The items in the bathroom carry the same design theme and is a nice touch. Towels nice and fluffy too!

The Breakfast

I had breakfast (complimentary with the room) for 3 days. The food is pretty much the same throughout with some minor variations. Basically, you have your more Asian fare of fried rice or fried noodles, there's cold cuts and the cooked meats, there's a fruit platter, pastries, cereal, an egg bar and hot/cold drinks. The fare is more than sufficient and very well done. Everything is really tasty, as if it's cooked individually not en masse. Pastries are a delight!

And the breakfast room is simply beautiful. An excellent way to start the morning though I do wish it opens earlier than 7:30am.

So next time you're in Macao and you want to bask in a bit of Portuguese influenced design with top-notch service that's off the beaten path, check out Pousada de Mong-Ha. It's not the Venetian nor is it some dodgy motel; it's actually on a class entirely of its own and after many nights in franchised hotels, this is a welcomed change.

PLUS

Service is excellent! Sometimes too good... I never had anyone rushing to open a door for me when I am so much closer to it and can really manage on my own!
Free WiFi and a computer in the room!
Affordable (especially when compared to the rates in Macao) and worthwhile given the level of service quality though it is not the cheapest by Asian standards.

MINUS

A little off the beaten path, may require some walking.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Pousada de Mong-Ha? Share your experiences!