“Fair service for the rate!” 3 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.555 Avenida da Amizade, Macau, China   |
Ranked #48 of 85 Hotels in Macau
3.5 of 5 stars 88 Reviews
Tokyo
“Fair service for the rate!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

I went with my 84 year old mother for a 1-night stay at the promotional rate of HK$1,140 package with 2 meals included. I picked this hotel because it has an indoor swimming pool which should be good for summer away from the heat and sunshine. When we showed up at the pool area, we were pleasantly surprised by the attentive staff who were all eager to help us around the facilities. Another reason I picked this hotel was because it was not too big and we won't have to walk thru the casino to get to the room. There were security and hotel staff near all the lift areas and they were all very attentive. This was good when you were in a vacation mood and didn't want to be bothered with directions inside a hotel that has several sets of lifts. The room size was OK, bed size perfect, but could do with smaller other furnitures. Bathroom was spacious, no complaint.
We had the set dinner in the Rocks Hotel, food was average, service average, would go there again if they could offer the buffet as a choice too. The view was good from the restaurant, and the evening walk outside to the Fishermen's Wharf afterwards was great. We took the electric shuttle to go to the Babylon Casino next to Rocks Hotel instead of walking back, did a bit of gaming, then took the shuttle back to the Landmark.
Breakfast on the following morning was OK, food average.
Would consider staying at this hotel at promotional price again, maybe pick a no dinner plan so that we can try out restaurants in other casino hotels for better food quality.

• Liked — Security staff in the common areas and attentive staff in the pool area.
  • Disliked — Room a bit crammed due to poor layout or too big furnitures.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2007

If ever I was to be dissapointed with a 5* hotel this would be it! On first impression it seemed great but upon closer inspection all was to be revealed. Let's see....

1. The breakfast was rubbish... not 5* standard at all, hot food was cold and stale, very unappetising.

2. The size of bathroom was very spacious though but don't have the shower running and sink tap running at the same time... as you are likely to freeze or scorch the poor person in the shower... a very stupid system! The toilet got blocked and they couldn't get the maintenance person to come because as quoted by a cleaner "it would cost the hotel alot of money, because it's out of hours" so she was told she had to sort it out.

3. The ridiulous lift system was a like a maze... you have to take a lift to the 40th floor.... walk around to another corridor (badly signposted) to take the lift to the floors above... oh yeah the lifts broke down with people trapped inside and it took them over half an hour to get those poor people out. Not surprised with stupid system like that... even the staff got confused and told us to take a lift going down when it could only go up! Those lift wardens... a waste of space.

4. The men working concierge desk and spa... were a bit sleazy and I felt uncomfortable going for a massage there. The men however on reception were professional though.

5. But the worst thing about this place is that they attract the worst sorts of clientele I have ever seen in a so-called 5* establishment. They were uncouth, and extremely sleazy men, and one guy even tried it on me with me whilst I was in the lift on my own late one night... I was actually quite scared for my own safety and had to push him off me. There were just groups and groups of men I'd say about 95% from PRC, and I hardly saw any couples or women there.

By morning I could not wait to get on the shuttle bus and leave this place and I would never return! A really really dissapointing experience for a 5*.

When we booked this hotel we were told all the other 5* hotels were fully booked and only this one was available... now come to think of it, it makes me wonder why it was available!

• Liked — The spacious bathroom
  • Disliked — The worst sorts of clientele and a silly system going on with the lifts
  • Tips/Secrets — Beware of the people staying in the hotel and always be on guard. If I haven't put you off already then... check out the bar in the basement, which was quite nice.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

Having been told that the Landmark was a 5 star hotel we were looking forward to something special. Unfortunately we were really disappointed.

The concierge couldn't recommend anywhere to eat on the evening we checked in. It was only after much prompting that he directed us to a restaurant across the road.

The common areas of the hotel were nice however, the room was just so-so condition (surprising as it's only 2 years old) and was overcrowded with unecessary furniture.

The actual Pharoah casino was a joke. Small and smoky, mainly tables with not even a bar within the actual casino! For serious card gamblers only.

Our rate included a continental breakfast which ran from 8 to 10:30 am on weekends. We rushed to get there for 10:15 after waiting 30mins for a rickety ironing board to be delivered to the room.

The breakfast area was terrible. Plastic tables reminiscent of airport motel furniture and an ashtray on every one. When we arrived, all of the hot food was tepid as the heat had obviously been turned off a while ago. The food itself, would have been quite good if it had been warm although it did include some strange looking pre-formed chicken nuggets.

The staff obviously wanted rid of us as soon as we sat down and attempted to lift plates each time we downed tools. By the time we were finished the place was hazy with smoke as there was no non-smoking area.

Remembering that there was a spa in the hotel we decided to check it out. We were surprised to discover that we would be charged MOP200 per person, per entry to the hotel's pool area. This was not mentioned at all in any of the promotional material and we felt that it was a bit mean in a 5 star hotel to ask guests to pay to use the facilities.

All in all, a bit disappointed. For the same or not much extra, we could have stayed in the Mandarin Oriental or the Westin. Both appear to take their quality rating seriously.

Stayed August 2005

Been to Landmark Macau? Share your experiences!