“Incredibly beautiful food...could have had a bit more taste for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Tasting Room

The Tasting Room
estrada do istmo, cotai, level 3 crown towers at city of dreams, Macau, China
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 330 restaurants in Macau
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: At The Tasting Room, Chef Guillaume Galliot redefines fine dining with his utmost attention to detail and a choice of the season’s most delicious ingredients from around the world, delivering contemporary European cuisine with the intuition of an artist right here in Macau.Elevate your gastronomic experience in the exclusive private room with spectacular views of Cotai; or sample our chef's selection of oysters, cold-cuts, cheeses and chocolates along with an extensive collection of premium wines and vintages in our tasting lounge.
Hong Kong, China
“Incredibly beautiful food...could have had a bit more taste for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

This meal was surely one of the most beautiful I have ever eaten and a few of the dishes were certainly some of the best I have had (Scallop meal and Carbonera appetizer) while others needed just a bit more (lobster appetizer...beets were a bit to overwhelming for the delicate dish and a bit of head or a bit of seasoning salt would have brought it to the next level). The veal main course probably was the most disappointing as it was very rich and lacked the dimension of the other dishes. Both desserts we had were wonderful (restaurant's signature and Chocolate dim sum) and the service was as well. For me, restaurants of this caliber and price have a different grading system so compared to all restaurants, this meal is excellent but given the few things that didn't quite work, that is why I gave a Very Good rating. I would highly recommend going to anyone, just without the veal dish.

Visited November 2013

86% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
“Indeed one of the best meals I've ever had in a restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We went there for lunch and had the 3-course set lunch. We were absolutely satisfied (more than satisfied) for every dish and had nothing to complain about. Love their green curry soup with mussels, which is quite light yet rich in flavour.

Also love the plates and bowls they use, which are very special (even the toothpick holder is quite unique too).

• Visited October 2013
shenzhen china
“Spot on”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

How good is this place? It's that good that I completely forgot I was in China. And for those of you familiar with the Middle Kingdom you'll know how hard that is.
Everything we ate looked and tasted fabulous. we loved the contrasting textures, temperatures and tastes. French onion soup with an onion flavored ice cream and caramelized onion. Wow. Kagoshima beef served with a celeriac purée whipped to the consistency of face cream! A deconstructed cheesecake with all the raw materials precisely arranged to look like they had randomly fallen from heaven onto your plate. I'm going to relive last night for weeks to come.

The service was as smooth as the celeriac purée. Every bit as good as I'd expect of the same quality restaurant in Europe. Hats off to the team for accomplishing this.

No tears with the bill, I thought this meal represented excellent value for money considering what and where it is.

Get a window table for spectacular views of Macau.

• Visited July 2013
Hong Kong
“Just once try of Michelin 1 Star Restaurant. No more!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Tried the lunch set HKD$268 @ + service charge. Regret that we did not enroll the member card before going for lunch as there is 5% discount for member.

There were 3 courses - appretizer, main course and dessert. The free starter tomato juice was fresh. The appretizer, salmon roll, was in too small portion. I didn't feel anything special of this dish. The main course, groose liver mash and chicken with little mash potato, was very disappointing. The groose liver was in mash inbetween the chicken rolls. It was in very small portion and I could not taste any taste of the groose liver! The chicken was tasteless! However, the mash potato was too salty! I told the waiter that the mash potato was salty and he felt so and served me with a glass of watermelon juice. I appreciate his action but the juice was watery too!!! The dessert was pina cotta which was in average and had no surprise.

They served with a basket of bread. However, all were very hard and cold! In view of the small portion of the dishes, I needa have some more bread after the maincourse. Shockedly, one Chinese waitress took away the basket of bread rudely without asking us. I needa request for a few times before I got back the bread. I had no mood to eat then.

Their services were not well-trained as expected in such a high-class restaurant! The waiters had better services than the waitresses did in average. That Chinese waitress changed the forks for me from my back without any greeting! Her impolite and sudden action made me shocked!

Environment was classy except that there were two mainland Chinese sitting at the neighbouring table while they talked loudly and played their videos thr their mobile speaker! It's really disturbing as all of us expected a classy and comfortable lunch!

Overall, I was disappointed with the meal and services in view of this price and the good reviews from Michelin and Open Rice. I would better try another restaurant next time.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ireland
“Fab meal at great prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had a great meal for our Wedding Anniversary Dinner at The Tasting Room. We booked online (10% off online booking for A-la-cart meal) requests were promptly addressed.
We ordered the Four Courses (MOP7xx) and the Six Courses menu (MOP12xx), I think the six course menu was too full!! We thought our dinner was really a bargain at these prices (compared to other Michelin star restaurant like Robuchon or Pierre Gagnaire!) We started off with a bread basket (we ate too much!), then 2 amuse bouche which really got tasted our appetite, followed by the best onion soup I've ever tasted!!!!! The 6 course dinner had an extra fish dish followed by the main course. After the main course the 6 course also had a cheese plate then dessert....Service and ambiance was impeccable and we thoroughly enjoyed our 3hr (!) meal, cant wait to return!!
Checkout my pictures!