“Comfy, new and decent” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 85 Hotels in Macau
Hong Kong, China
“Comfy, new and decent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

It's a new and nice hotel.
There was some confusion during check in. They charge me 1k more than I was quoted online but it was sorted out after presenting them my confirmation letter with the correct amount. The staff at the front desk (her name is Summer) was very polite and kind, she upgrade me to deluxe room and help me with the room rate difference.

The rooms are equipped decently and is quite big with 2 double beds. The only thing I dislike is the smoking smell, even though we are on non-smoking level, I guess it's inevitable.
The toothbrush and comb provided are rather rough but since I use my own so it's alright. So if you are staying here, please bring your own toothbrush and comb. On the other side, I rather like their hair dryer, it's petit and strong. The only thing I cant find in the room is cotton and sewing kit.

Overall, the service is good, rooms are new and decent. Location is great with shuttle bus to and fro taipa ferry terminal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ernest C, Manager at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to know that you found our room comfy and decent. We are sorry for the initial confusion you encountered during check-in and fortunately our staff/Summer resolved it on the spot. Thank you for bringing the smoke smell issue, we will work with departments concerned for improvement.Look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Ernest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I have been to Macau on 5 previous occasions (stayed in Venetian Macau Resort). Wanted a change and booked 3 nights in Holiday Inn in early November. Arrived by ferry from HongKong (after 4 nights in Taipei) with 2 heavy checked-in baggage. At the 'Holiday Inn' shuttle bus bay opposite the ferry pier, we had to load the 2 heavy suitcase into the bus baggage compartment ourselves as the driver and 2 other similar uniform male staff just look on and continued chatting amongst themselves. We are both in our 60's. (1st experience of bad service on this 6th trip to Macau).
On reaching Cotai Central, the shuttle bus stopped at Sheraton Hotel bus bay and all passengers alighted. Unfortunately for us, we had to walk a long way thru 2 hotels and a shopping mall before reaching Holiday Inn. What puzzles us is this:- since Holiday Inn has its own bus bay, why are its guests expected to walk such a long distance to check in at the reception counter? (2nd bad experience for the day).
However, apart from the initial bad experiences, we found that checking in was smooth and efficient. The front office staff were friendly and very helpful throughout our stay. The room was reasonably comfortable though not as huge as the Venetian.
Would likely stay here again on our next trip to Macau.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ernest C, Manager at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central. We are pleased to hear that you are satisfied with our room design and front desk services. We regret to hear that you experienced mishaps at the shuttle services. May I clarify we do have separate shuttle buses dedicate to Holiday Inn and Sheraton Macao respectively. A signage board with the corresponding hotel logos is placed on the bus window shield. I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused. Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

It's new and clean and quite comfortable. The room is a decent size but a bit small by Macau standards. It is the cheapest hotel at Macau Cotai Central. The 3 hotels share the same shopping mall. I must say that the design of the shopping mall and the hotels (I have stayed in Corad as well) are very 70s/80s, not contemporary at all but still comfortable. The thing that troubles me most is their security (apply to both Conrad and Holiday Inn). The lobby is directly accessible from the shopping mall and as they do not require room key to operate elevator, anyone can go to any floor of the hotel even if they are not staying at the hotel. They do have "security guard" at the lobby but I never seen them stop anybody or ask if they are guests of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ernest C, Manager at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for your feedback for your recent stay. We are pleased to hear that you found our hotel room is comfortable. With regards to the comment on security, we have shared with department concerned for improvement. Thank you for bringing to our attention. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Firstly, if you are arriving by ferry from Hong Kong, please get the ferry terminal right. Otherwise you might be stuck in a jam trying to get to the hotel. On the other hand, if you are flying in, the hotel is just 10 minutes drive away, and complimentary shuttles are available frequently.
The hotel is in a gigantic complex with two other adjacent hotels: the Sheraton and the Conrad. The complex is just across the road from the Venetian, and "City of Dreams" (which consists of Hyatt hotel and Hard Rock hotel). The hotel smells new, which is a good thing because I shudder to think of how such a huge complex will look like 20 years from now.
Checking-in was smooth. I was given a welcome drink (the drink was not fantastic by the way). One weird thing is I can't seem to communicate with any of the staff there. Start speaking to them in Cantonese, and they will attempt to answer you in Mandarin. Speak to them in Mandarin, and they will try to reply you in English. Speak to them in English, and they can barely understand you and will try to change the language.
The room was pretty neat, and they have 2 sets of pillows (firm and soft). There was an armchair in the room. Bathroom amenities were basic but adequate. Water pressure was not great but water was hot (I was on the 33rd floor). Internet is available at a cost. You can hear the music thumping faintly at night while trying to sleep.
The water provided in the room was 3 tiny bottles of mineral water, each measuring less than 200 mls. Please remember to buy some mineral water when you spot a convenience store while out and about.
You need to show your room card before you can get access to the lifts. There is a security guard by the lift.
There was a food court in the complex and you get a 20% discount if you are a hotel guest, but the food was atrocious. I would suggest to try the food in the food court at the Venetian instead if you are into food courts as there are plenty to choose from, and more people eating which can almost guarantee a freshness.
Macau was very crowded at the time of my visit, and it is full of Chinese tourists. They are generally loud and tend to shove you aside. For example, as I was exploring the city, there were "free cookies" being handed out from the bakery, and guess what... The Chinese were rushing to it like bees to honey. Pretty shocking, but if you enjoy that kind of environment, then you should visit Macau.
Otherwise it's casinos, casinos and more casinos.
Overall, my stay in Holiday Inn Cotai was pleasant. I would probably stay here again in the future in the unlikely event I visit Macau again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central. We are glad to know that you have a pleasant stay with us. We have taken note on your comment regarding the language proficiency that have been shared with department concerned for improvement. Thank you for bringing to our attention. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

How this place received 4 stars is beyond me. I checked in on a very cool fall evening only to find that the heat in my room did not work. I called the priority service line and asked if they could send someone up to show me how to turn on the heat (I assumed there was a trick to operating the system that I did not know). I was told that they would send up an extra blanket...Nice. I then told the priority service attendant to send someone to my room to turn on the heat...They reluctantly obliged. The technician that was sent, was in my room for 30 minutes (at 11:00pm), and I finally had to send him on his way, as my wife and I both had a mild cold and were exhausted. I then called down to the priority line again and asked them to send up a portable heater to get us through the night. The attendant said that the technician needs more time to fix the heater, but again reluctantly agreed. I told her to send up a heater and have the techinician come back at 9:00am when my wife and I were going to be out of the room. The next day after touring Macau, we returned to our room at 3:30pm to find two technicians still working on the heater and my room had yet to be cleaned. we were asked to come back in 30 minutes...Awesome. The next day, I went down to the hotel front desk to exchange US currency for Patacas and was told that the bills were not in new condition and they couldn't do it. I lived in Macau for 3 years and knew coming back that they do not exchange currency unless the bills are in very good condition. Before I came her I went to my bank in the US and got the best condition bills that they had (still not good enough for Holiday Inn). I also asked the Holiday Inn front desk to exchange $300 in US currency for Patacas, to which I was told that they cannot exchange more that $200 per day (this is a hotel casino for God's sake!) If you do decide to stay at this hotel, be prepared to hear "so sorry" a lot, and if you intend to gamble at the casino, be prepared to be inundated by people asking if they can put their players card in your slot machine (I had 6 people ask in 2 hours of play). Also, I had two sets of 'working girls' sit down and try to get my attention. If you wish for a relaxing hotel/casino experience, stay at the the Wynn or Galaxy, as they tend to run those folks off. I am a priority club platinum member and stay at this brand on average 7-10 days per month. This experience has so put me off that I am seriously considering cancelling my membership. Macau is a gambling enclave, so if you're feeling lucky roll the dice and stay here. If you expect competency and service for you money, stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: If your vacation time is meant to be relaxing, stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We are concerned of your comments about the air-conditioning. The defect you encountered was the control valve malfunction, which could not be resolved on the night of your stay. I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused. For the money exchange, we have interviewed the team member in question. she mixed up the limit of cash advance and money exchange. We will reinforce the training to aviod this happening again. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused. Thank you once again for your honest feedback that will hope us to maintain the level of service. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future
Hua Hin, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We went to Macau for 5 days after spending a month in China and a week in Hong Kong.
We had stayed at the Holiday Inn in Beijing which we really like, but we just did not like this one.
New hotel, not in Macau opposite the Venitian. This part outside of Macau is just hotels and building sites, no where to walk except other hotels which are all the same except Hard Rock which at least seemed individual and the staff there were friendly.

There are very frequent shuttle buses to the pier and back, we went twice and wandered around but could not find anything interesting although we tried hard.
We foolishly thought Macau was like Las Vegas which we love - nothing like it.

Back to the hotel. Normal Holiday Inn standard, comfortable bed, good air conditioning, reasonable size room, excellent gym. Pools are rather strange, all small, one heated others freezing so one pool was always crowded. Pool surroundings very good with plenty of sunbeds but nearly always in shadow. We had a club sandwich one day which was good. The rest of the food outlets are not.

The thing we really hated were the staff no they were not rude excactly the opposite, they drove us crazy, they never left us alone, at every turn there was a staff member either pointing the direction (what did they think we were going to do, walk into a wall) to go or asking if they could help us. I just wanted to scream and run away.

Of course it is full of Chinese, which we should have been used to. Be aware they spit everywhere and push and shove you out of the way.

Positive things, if you are Chinese it's great. If you are western think twice before booking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ernest C, Manager at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for your feedback for your recent stay. We are pleased to know that you found our hotel facilities satisfactory overall. We have also taken note on your comments regarding showing the direction and offering assistance. Thank you for bringing to our attention.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Probably the nicest holiday inn I've stayed in, largely due to the fact it's in the glitzy cotai strip in Macau. Received great service upon check in, quick and painless. Had a slight mix up as I thought I had booked an extra bed for a triple share when I hadn't but the hotel resolved that very quickly and most helpfully and got me an extra bed. Service in the lobby lounge was also excellent. Location is within walking distance to everything in cotai but not the main town area in Macau, still it's only a short cab ride away. Would stay here again if in Macau.

• Stayed November 2012
Ernest C, Manager at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for sharing your recent stay experiences with us. We greatly appreciate your comments on our front office, lobby lounge and other facilities. We do look forward to welcoming you back at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central should Macau be your next destination
Ernest Cheng
Director of Operations

Been to Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central? Share your experiences!