“Poor value for money” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 85 hotels in Macau
Gurgaon, India
“Poor value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Macau Cotai Central. The Holiday Inn is a part of a massive development which encompasses a Conrad and a yet-to-open Sheraton. The hotel is located opposite the Venetian and Four Season Macau and adjacent the 'City of Dreams' which houses the Grand Hyatt, The Hard Rock Hotel and 2 other hotels. Staying at the Holiday Inn hotel gave me access to a number of shopping, dining and gaming options all within walking distance of each other.
The hotel provides a complimentary shuttle service from the ferry terminal and airport at regular intervals. The front desk at the hotel is super efficient. Despite my stay over a busy weekend my check in and check out barely took a few minutes. The house keeping of the hotel is very good. The hotel has many dining options. The food and presentation at the much hyped Dynasty 8 restaurant was below expectation. The service was however prompt. I had breakfast at the Xin restaurant and it was an average buffet. The egg station ran out of cheese and to my amazement the chef did not make an effort to call in some supplies. I had my omlette without cheese! The hotel lacks personalisation. In my reservation, I had asked for wine glasses to be placed in my room. Despite the instruction available with the hotel, the wine glasses were not in my room. Soon after I checked in I called in for tea bag sachets of Darjeeling or English breakfast tea. The replenishment never had these options available. I had to call in for my choice of tea every time. There is no system of tracking guest preferences at the hotel. The room is basic. The pillows are uncomfortable. The shower experience was bad due to inadequate water pressure. My expectations for good service was high as the rates of the hotel were comparable to other five star options where I would expect a high level of service. There was much to be desired in the overall experience. Poor value for money for a brand like Holiday inn which screams VFM.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

435 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Shenzhen, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Was really surprised to see a new face of HI. Although rich infrastructure is mainly shared with Conrad and Sands Cotai, which is quite typical for Macau, but not typical for Holiday Inn - still, accessibility is more, than just good - shops, restaurants, cinemas (not to mention casino - but it wasn't a purpose of our visit). Rooms/floors deco is also quite different from typical renovated Holiday Inn. Staff is very friendly and professional - I hope, that professional level of employees@mainland Holiday Inn properties would be on same level one day.
Negatives - paid inroom internet access, tiny bathtub(only my legs would fit(partly)).
Free shuttles from/to Macau Central ferry and Cotai ferry terminals every 15 minutes; if you want to get to a historical centre of Macau, you'd better use City Of Dreams shuttles (just across the street, near Hard Rock hotel)- they would take you to Grand Lisboa surroundings.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chennai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

This is an New hotel part of the Sands Cotai Central Complex .
Being an Priority Club Gold Member Check in took 45 minutesCheck in took 45 minutes due to an confusion between the reservations and the front desk .

The hotel has an casino . There are continous entertainment like magic shows etc near the God Of Fortune . The higher floor rooms are good .

The breakfast was at Grand Orbit and was very good . The staff was not corteous .
The people in the front asked me for the key card etc and after that 6 people asked me during the course of my brekfast for the room details .
The second day 3 people asked me and i just refused to give me my room no.

Room Tip: Take the high raise room
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my family for 1 night on 27/5. I am delighted to get an upgrade to a larger room and it looks clean and modern in its first glance. Yet, when we use the toilet, it gets stuck and cannot flush. The toilet water go out and overflow to the floor. We requested for fixing and cleaning and the staff came in about 10 minutes (which I think is acceptable). Yet, after fixing, the cleaning staff only clean for about 1 minute (use a towel to dry but not really "clean" the toilet and the floor). I think that is unacceptable. When we leave the room, we see another staff taking a toilet pump and going inside another room. I think it is common and there must be some problem with the hotel drainage system.

About the pool, it is really great as there are about 6 with several jacuzzi. I am most impressed that there are 1 warm water pool and some hot water jacuzzi. They are just perfect for family with kids. However, the shower area in female changing room have the same problem in the drainage. The water cannot go away smoothly and there is always over 1 inch of water "staying" on the floor.

Can the managaement spot this problem ??

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

check in with Priority Club membership therefore no need to line-up, otherwise, need to wait for more than 30 guest.
Nice room with good mattress and two choice of pillows (hard or firm).
good pool area with two hot jacuzzi and one heated pool, the rest are normal pools. Gym with sauna. Staffs at gym & pool areas are extremely attentive.
Should be a lot of choice for the free breakfast as its buffet, but the refilling phase are unacceptably slow, the buffet line is only fill by empty plates, waitrers are busily dealing with compliants of no food and lack time to collect used dishes from guests' table. Once a while when chef came up with a small dish of re-fills everyone rush forward to try to grap some. Its pathetic to happen in such a new nice hotel.

Room Tip: standard rooms normally got only one King bed with no nice view (my room on high floor only with vie...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

This has to be the best quality Holiday Inn in the world and i wasn't expecting it to be so good. The hotel is part of Sands Cotai Central that has a shopping mall (level 1 was only open out of what looked like 3 levels), restaurants and a casino, although the casino is not in the Holiday Inn but next to it. We had a Double Double Superior room with our 2 kids and the front desk advised us that the room is 37sqm and you can tell as larger than most luxury hotels in Hong Kong!
Everything worked like clock work in the room with separate shower and bath yet the later is great for kids but not adults...hey but who stays in a Holiday Inn for a bath! The Superior rooms look directly into the Sheraton so if you spend time in your room get a City View room. The pool deck is massive with 5 smaller pools overlooking The Venetian and I loved the gym which was fully stocked with Technogym equipment. Was directed to breakfast in Grand Orbit which was operated by Conrad. The staff could do with a bit more ownership but this is not uncommon in China. Whoever says this place is overpriced is crazy as it is probably the best value hotel on Cotai.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a City View room with view over City of Dreams and to Taipa Village
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

No matter how Mr Jack LIM impressed me much with his supreme customer service, his effort was totally ruined by his seniors. It is ironical for the performance of frontline staff is far better than his senior. I am very lucky to have Mr LIM helped me to find a wheelchair accessible room for my mother within a short period of time (from my booking to confirmation) night before my check-in.

The rigidity of management could be shown by the extremely long waiting time for check-in. Why? The front desk staff are required to ask every guest of the room to show his/her identity card!! One representative of a family of four was not allowed!!!

The room is perfect and the bed is comfortable. However, when I asked whether I would be served with welcome fruit as a gold member of Priority Club, surprisingly, the answer was No. Instead I was offered a local newspaper. I challenged Mr Erik LI, the duty manager, why the hotel could not provide Hong Kong newspaper, he offered me a late check out. I told him that I had already been offered late check out at 1p.m. He then suggested to be 2 p.m. I counterproposed with 3 p.m. He accepted. However, on the check-out day, my mother fainted and fell to the ground from the wheelchair in the early morning at the lobby of the Venetican Hotel. She was then rushed to the hospital and we returned to the hotel around 1 p.m. My mother was so tired that she fell to sleep immediately. I then asked the front desk officer whether we would stay one or two more hours in such special circumstances. Mr LI, only assigned his junior to reject my special request. I therefore had to wake up my mother around half past two from her sleep. Mr LI was so apathetic to the physical fragility and ailment of my 87 years old mother simply ruined my good impression of the hotel group. Definitely, he showed not a gesture of concern.

Room Tip: the view of 9/F is extremely poor especially with the renovation work of the nearby Sheraton Hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Ernest C, Manager at Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay with us. It's only through positive criticism such as yours that we are able to improve and maintain the standards of service. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused. Rest assured that we have addressed this matter to the person and the departments concerned to avoid any recurrence. Should you have any further comments, please feel free to contact me directly at ernest.cheng@ihg.com

Best regards

Ernest Cheng
Director of Operations

Been to Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Central? Share your experiences!