“Great Hardware, Inconsistent Software” 4 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #10 of 85 Hotels in Macau
4.5 of 5 stars 484 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
“Great Hardware, Inconsistent Software”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

The Good: The 'hardware' -- physical aspects -- of the hotel cannot be better. It's grand yet subtle, comfortable but highly sophisticated. Booked a Grand Deluxe Suite for 2 nights, with a separate living room, bedroom and a bathroom which is almost identical to the size of the bedroom. Very comfortable bed with 2 big-screen HDTVs. Nespresso machine with 6 capsules a day. Very clean. Breakfast at mezza9 was included in price. Pre-check-in econceirge request of iron and iron board was already in room when i got in. Tours were booked at a 10% surcharge.

The Bad: I booked the City of Dreams package and check-in staff seems a little lost at what was offerred. Enquired about whether I could use the CotaiJet ticket into Kowloon instead of Hong Kong was met with a blank stare. Was told to bring the letter to the casino to register for membership to get the MOP300 City Dollars but was met with blank stares (yet again) at the membership counter, who was manned by one of the rudest service person you can meet in macau, who claims that she would credit the mop300 into my membership card for use only in the slot machines (which did not materialise). Could not find the ipod docking station in my room. Nespresso machines available but you could only find the chinese tea-cups and other cocktail glasses in the minibar, which pretty much defeats the purpose.

Point to note for elite Gold Passport members : there is no separate elite check-in counter. Check-in and -out seems to be free for all, queue wherever you want, rush up whenever you feel like it. Roped queuing area was not observed or enforced. No mention of my elite status (albeit only Platinum) and no frills whatsoever was offered. In fact I had to mention my status to the check-in lady before she typed away and said yes, you are platinum member. Asked if the hotel will be giving me anything but she only mentioned what I have read on the website on the list of benefits I am entitled to already as a platinum member. Told that I will get the best room in my category but no lounge access. Not sure about the best room as it seems rather vanilla and ordinary to me, being stuck in a room facing the airport in the middle of the hallway (was told that corner rooms have a 3-way view, but was not given those). Hotel directory claims that all club floor and suites guests have access to the lounge, so called guest services to confirm this, but was again turned down.

Breakfast on the first day seems impressive, but repetition on the 2nd day made it boring. Interesting interaction between the manager and staffs who apparently made their displeasure with the manager obvious to all those who care to listen in.

All in all, GH Macau is an excellent hotel if you are after the hardware of what a luxury hotel should be, but the hotel essentially needs to offer some warmth and sincerity from the service staff, who ought to be trained to be more interpersonal with the guests rather than just to get the job done and send the guest along. I would have expected more from a GH hotel, instead of leaving me wondering why I didn't check into my usual Venetian which is just across the road.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Frankfurt am Main
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

This is an exceptional hotel with excellent services and facilities. It is a little far removed from the centre of Macao, although Macao is not so big, but the hotel makes an excellent conference venue. The hotel itself is very modern and clean. The hotel’s staff were courteous, attentive and spoke excellent English. Food from the restaurants was also excellent, with varied menus.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Zug, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

Stunning rooms, great facilities, excellent restaurant and extremely friendly and competent staff. A particular mention about the club facility, I never experienced any club lounge approaching this one in size, quality of foods/drinks or service. At breakfast and cocktail time they had three cook working in the lounge...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

The service and standards overall at this hotel are the best of any of the Grand Hyatt’s I have stayed at, we have stayed in eight so far.

As we were only at the hotel for one night. There was only one chance to impress and one chance to get things right - and they did!

I would rate the staff, front and back of house as fantastic. Superb professional and yet very personal service. Excellent decor and unique attention to detail that I have only ever found in a Grand Hyatt’s, no matter how hard I have tried with other hotels. Somehow the staff knew our names, and addressed us personally at every opportunity - even though we were one of many customers - I have only ever come across this before at the Grand Hyatt in NYC - perhaps there is a connection.

The Manager on duty was a superb ambassador for the brand, and ensured that everything ran perfectly for our group.

The room was beautiful. Housekeeping fantastic - I was so impressed to find that they had even taken the hairs out of my comb as part of the evening turn down service.

Every request was executed with finesse, and expectations were exceeded in pretty much every way.

All in all, top marks to the Grand Hyatt in Macau; I hope to return one day.

• Stayed May 2010
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

We usually stay at The Wynn but on our last trip there we were let down. What a nice surprise this was for us. It was our third trip to Macau on business. We stayed here for 3 nights courtesy of my employer; it’s hard to describe how nice the Grand Hyatt (City of Dreams) is. I honestly do believe this is the equivalent of heaven on earth if your not paying the expenses', I would highly recommend this stunning hotel to anyone even if it means canceling your next holiday in order to save up for it. It's one of these places where you really do have to see it with your own eyes to believe how spectacular a hotel it really is. Need I say more...?

I’d like to personally thank Yuan for all the special attention he provided us during our stay. Yuan you are the best and hopefully you’ll one day get your dream and become a manager. I surely hope so.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Capri, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

A gem real in Macau. Everything about the Grand Hyatt was five star quality. When we arrived, my wife and I were greeted at the front entrance by Chang who welcomed us with a warm smile and took us right up to the front desk. Our check in was very smooth and pleasant. The front desk staff was very warm and welcoming. They walked us right to the elevators instead of just pointing them out or telling us "they are over there". The room was beautiful with awesome views overlooking the Pool area. We almost felt like we were at home and not in a 'hotel". My wife wanted to have a look at the Spa. We left our room and found Chang in the hallway and asked him where we could find the spa. Just like earlier in the front lobby, we didn't just get pointed in the right direction, he took us to the elevators and down to the front reception area in the Spa. The Spa staff was more than welcome to answer all our questions and give us a small tour.

You guys should be proud. Best staff interaction I've had in a hotel. You made our stay very pleasant and comfortable. We won't hesitate to return to your wonderful establishment on our next trip to Macau.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

My thanks and congratulations to the staff and management of The Grand Hyatt Macao, I have stayed in hotels all over the world, luxury and otherwise, on business and for pleasure. This is the best run hotel with THE most pleasant, courteous and efficient staff I have ever encountered.

The hotel is luxurious, peaceful and tranquil. The latter two attributes being no mean feat in this fast, mad, crazy city. It was wonderful to be able to climb above the Macao scene, out of the noise; hustle, bustle and congestion walk at The Grand Hyatt and feel the quiet and restfulness roll over us.

My parents celebrated their 300th wedding anniversary during our stay. Mum and dad would like me to publicly pass on a huge thank you for all of the "treats" organized for them by the team at The Grand Hyatt. An especially huge thank you to Manager Paul Kwok...this gentleman is a true star of the hospitality industry.

As an aside - go see the Dragon’s Treasure show at The Bubble. And the Casino at City of Dreams is like no other in Macao. Take it from a gambler who’s tried them all.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Hyatt Macau? Share your experiences!