“Pity about the smell in the room.” 3 of 5 stars

Hard Rock Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   City of Dreams, Estrada do Istmo, Cotai, Macau, China   |
Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Macau
Caterham, United Kingdom
“Pity about the smell in the room.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We bought a package to see 'Dancing Waters' & the 'Taboo' shows (which I'm not rating here.) The hotel was not cheap, that said the service was as the reception was good. If only the hotel room had been either properly cleaned or at least deodorised. We complained they immediately sent a little man up with a atomiser/ deodoriser but when we returned after dinner it was just as bad. So at 11.00pm + when we wer feeling very tired we had to request a room change, which was efficiently executed.

The new room was on the 22nd floor, 4 x floors higher with an excellent view. We found a comfortable bed with usual amenities expected in a hotel of this quality. Being our anniversary we appreciated the gesture of a bottle of Merlot, a bowl of fruit & three exotically presented chocolates on a long dish.

Probably the most difficult part was booking this treat weekend over the phone. I spent too much time trying to understand the charming receptionists, whose spoken English was deplorable so! It was so bad I hung up once to in oder to speak to another girl, but it was just as bad. They understand well, but I ended up asking several times to spell simple words. Let's hope this hotel puts there staff through elocution lessons in future it will save customers so much time & phone bills.

Room Tip: Visit your room before taking/ accepting it?
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HardRockMacau, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience with us. It is only through continuous and objective feedback from guests such as yourself, that we are able to review and improve upon the facilities and services that we provide to ensure that we are meeting; if not exceeding your expectations. Our ultimate goal is to ensure that each and every guest that chooses to stay or visit the Hard Rock Hotel has a memorable time.

It is definitely discouraging to know that your experience was not pleasant as we were unable to meet the basic requirement of service. Please accept my apologies that we were not able to deliver the experience you were hoping for.

We take all our guests' feedback seriously and will use it to better improve ourselves. We hope your experience with us before will not hinder you from returning to us and give us a second chance.

Manager, Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Penang, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We chose this hotel because we thought the Cotai area would be hip. It is but there is no charm in the surrounding area. The complex is actually full of high end shops with modern amenities. If you like this sort of thing then this place is for you.

We took the free shuttle from the ferry terminal. The transport staff were very polite and helpful. However upon arrival at the hotel there was nobody to help with our luggage. No big problem to us. Next, our hotel room smelt of cigarrette smoke. They could not change our room so the staff brought in one of those machines to de-odorise the air. It did help somewhat. It did not occur to me to request a non-smoking floor when I booked; so no fault of the hotel.

Otherwise the hotel services were great and the room view fantastic. Reception was very helpful in providing a free map and tips on where to go. The man even advised us Macau is not a place for shopping and to leave that when we go to Hong Kong!. Free wifi was available.

We saw the House of Dancing Water which was awesome; we booked the 5 pm show on a monday which surprisingly was almost full house. So book that well ahead if you are there for the show.

There is a food court upstairs in the complex but does not open until 11 am. However, big M opens earlier.

I would not stay there again because I prefer a neighbourhood with charm; so I would pick the old town the next time I visit Macau.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker, remember to request a non-smoking floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HardRockMacau, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2013

We take all our guests' feedback seriously and will use it to better improve ourselves. We understand that you would prefer to stay at some places with charming neighbourhood. However, Macau is actually quite accessible and our location is actually quite closed to some local historical places. Perhaps, if you plan to return to Macau we can get our Concierge Rocker to personally suggest and plan some interesting itinerary that suits your interest.

Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed in hard rock for 3 days and 2 nights.When I just arrived they asked if they could carry my bag.After that,I went to check-in and the concierge was very polite.I picked this hotel because it was in City of Dreams.After we saw our room, I went to the window to see the view.My room has a flat screen tv a IHome and a bathroom and a separated toilet.After I woke up I went to eat at McDonalds because it was just next to the hotel.After I went shopping for about three hours.i came back to see the room.And I saw the room was very clean.then I went to eat lunch.I ate a Japanese style buffet in a another place.after I went back to my room it was already 5:15pm.I figured the time saved maybe we can go for a swim in the swimming pool.The swimming pool was very clean.After that I went to sleep because I was still full and it was getting late.The next morning after check out I said goodbye to the concierge and went to a shuttle bus to go to the airport.And I would never ever forget this experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

It is definitely very motivated and encouraging to know that we have made your stay a pleasant and memorable one. We will continuously striving for better service and we look forward to welcome you back to Hard Rock Macau.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was there for only 1 night in Sept 2013, it was the night when typhoon usagi was hitting.
Nonetheless, i felt safe and comfortable staying with HardRock. The staffs there were all very attentive, polite and definiately helpful.
For the 1st time after 3 nights in Macau in different hotels, i feel GREAT!
The room was hugh and clean.. the service is excellent.. best of all.. the windows are full-length which allows me to view the best scenery around cotai area..
I must say, the $$ all worth it! My bf and I were totally amazed! Hard Rock.. U ROCK!!!

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Bought the package through their website. It came with 2 Dancing Water and 3D Dragon Show tickets, a $100 HKD certificate to use on slot machines, complimentary breakfast or lunch buffet for 2 and a one night stay at the hotel.

The service was amazing. Right after we stepped into the lobby, the concierge helped us take our luggage and directed us to the front desk to check-in. The staffs helped us push the elevator button as we were walking towards the elevator. The front desk staffs were very friendly and helpful. Majority of the staffs could speak English fluently. They gave us a lot of information about Macau and helped us book the ferry tickets back to Hong Kong.

There was a shopping center and casino that was located in the middle where it was surrounded by the Hard Rock, Hyatt, and Crown Hotels. Unfortunately, there was nothing to see if you walked outside except other five stars hotels. But there were free shuttle buses to other casinos, airport, and sea port so it was quite convenient travelling around.

Although we only stayed for one night at the hotel, we really enjoyed our stay and definitely recommend this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Shah Alam, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I was here for 1 night stay after 2 nights at Macau city for the Firework show. My husband and I was here to celebrate our anniversary. I booked the hotel via Agoda for Standard Room.

Location: The hotel located at happening area at Cotai Stripe. It is link between City of Dream and Crown Hotel. It is just opposite of The Venetian and Sands Cotai Central(Conrad, Sheraton and Holiday Inn Hotels). The night view of the hotel is marvelous!

They provide frequently shuttle bus to Taipa Village and Airport & Ferry Terminal.

Lobby: The reception staff are so friendly and helpful. They wear smart casual which I like the whole environment.

Room: The room is spacious with large King size bed. The decor is suit their rock style!

Bathroom: There are separate toilet and shower. The bathroom is spacious with bathtub. The amenities provided are from their Rock Spa, very nice scented.

Since we were celebrating our anniversary, the hotel prepared a special complimentary gift with a bottle of wine, a basket of fruits and Rock Chocolate. We were so touched with their hospitality and it was just wonderful and memorable for us!

phuket
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We are six pleplo come to stay at Hard rock Macau this week . This is a hotel with great staff, very friendly but there are two things that made the unhappy.
1.The corner suite with the party at the pool very loud voice.
2.My room booking for non-smoking but the foul smell of cigarettes a lot.
But for my next holiday I want to come back stay here again because the staff here very good .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Manager, Operations

Been to Hard Rock Hotel? Share your experiences!