“Go with the right expectations” 3 of 5 stars

East Asia Hotel Macau
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Da Madeira 1a, Porto Interior, Macau, China   |
Ranked #56 of 89 Hotels in Macau
Utah, USA
“Go with the right expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

This hotel is definitely not for the high-maintainance traveler, but it’s really not bad if you’re expectations aren’t too high.
The hotel staff at the front desk is not much help as far as directions and stuff like that go if you don’t speak Chinese, so your best bet is to just pick up one of the complimentary tourist maps that are the front door. Actually, now that I think about it, none of the staff is really much help for anything at all. Before I forget to write it in, there is a $100 MOP refundable deposit for the room key; so don’t lose it!
I stayed in a single standard room, which if I had to estimate, is about an 8.5’x10’ room. It’s a pretty snug fit with the bed, closet, and the desk, but it works (definitely only for one person though). The room had its own bathroom, which was not the most attractive but it seemed clean enough. The room was kind of cold, but not too bad; there was no heating that I was aware of. The walls might as well be paper, because you can hear pretty much everything on the other side. If you’re going to stay here for your honeymoon or an intimate getaway, be aware that everyone in the halls and neighboring rooms can hear everything. I could here someone’s shower running across the hall from inside my room with the door closed. Also, the water doesn’t get very hot, but it gets warm enough to make it so it’s not a miserable shower.
The hotel has many obvious shortcomings; However, the location is hard to beat, especially for the price. It’s within a very short walking distance of much Macau’s major tourist attractions (i.e. Senado Square, Santo Domingo’s Church, the Ruins of St. Paul’s Cathedral, Monte Fortress, etc. You can also take a short taxi ride from for about $20 MOP (about $2.60 USD) , to the Macau Tower. It’s not too bad of a walk down to the Lisboa Casino either, it takes about 20 minutes.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for the budget consious, easy-going, independent traveller, who wants to get the most out of their dollar. I would only go there with, at the most, one other person. It’s ideal for one person, but I think it would be ok to have two, if you got the two twin bed room. I really would not recommend this hotel for families, or people looking for a romantic getaway. Just don’t expect too much, and if you fit the criteria mentioned above, I think you would be very satisfed with the place.

• Liked — the location is unbeatable
  • Disliked — it was cold
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
makati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

I am a person who really look at cleanliness when it comes to hotels, guesthouses, etc. I can say that this hotel is really poor in hygiene. The bathroom in our unit was super yucky (with molds even on the tub and the sink). I couldn't bring myself to touch any part of it.

One more thing is that the noise around the hotel could be heard in one's room. I could hear the running faucet/ shower of the room next to ours. The bed was the hardest I've ever slept on. Instead of having a rest, I was totally stressed so the next day my friends and I hurriedly left the place.

• Liked — none
  • Disliked — ---
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

Check in was not very smooth. The receptionist had difficulty understanding English. The room was clean but old. They don't provide Internet Service and utensils. Be prepared, otherwise, good for travelers on a low budget.

• Liked — Low Cost
  • Disliked — No Internet
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

After reading this site before we went, it was perfectly helpful!
We didn't expected too much! As HKD 410 won't have much choice! It's fairly a good deal for budget travellers........
Clean towels, friendly old buzz boys, 60's every corners, real good for reminiscent traveller like me!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleaniess
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Selangor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2008

Initially was skeptic as read some bad review on the hotel, but found East Asia Hotel to be a great place to stay which is better than Hou Kong Hotel. East Asia Hotel is clean, comfortable, affordable and spacious for budget backpackers like us. Manage to book East Asia Hotel at a very affordable price of HKD340. Located along the main road where the busses & all tourist areas/boutiques/casino are located. A safe place even for 3 girls travelers like us. Staffs are very helpful in showing directions and have also recommended us value-for-money fancy Portugese Restaurant. Service is good. Serve you hot drinking water once u check-in. Provide tea bags, towels, and toiletries. Comfortable beds and have extra comforters. Have TV with many channels. No prostitute sighted and does not even look like a brothel. Highly recommended.

• Liked — spacious, clean, friendly
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
davao philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

I was looking in the internet for a hotel near the scenic places like the Senado square & Ruins of Saint Paul and I was right, East Asia hotel is just 10 min walk and 15 min by bus going to A-Ma Temple & 2 minute walk to the new Ponte 16 Hotel. We arrived midnight, our taxi - Mop60 from the airport so after checking in, we went out to have some free coffee/juice in the casino of Ponte 16. The area was safe so it's okay to walk at night and our room was so cold, good we have clean sheets & comforter. They provided us everything like hot water with tea bags, all toiletress & lots of towels. We were so happy with our stay because the staff can speak english well & gives us right direction, very accomodating as well. We check out early & left our luggage at the storage room and came back at 3 pm since we have to catch a ferry going to HK. There's no problem at all, our things are all intact.

• Liked — cleanliness & accessibility
  • Disliked — sometimes some locals are noisy eating at the 2nd floor restaurant
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to East Asia Hotel Macau? Share your experiences!