“Good - but over-hyped” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cordial Mogan Playa

You added Cordial Mogan Playa to your Saves list
Cordial Mogan Playa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda de los Marrero 2 | Playa de Mogan, 35138 Puerto de Mogan, Mogan, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Puerto de Mogan
Kent
“Good - but over-hyped”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Having read all the glowing reviews I was looking forward to holidaying in an exceptional 4 star hotel. Whilst it was a good four star there was little, other than the service, that made it stand out from the rest. I have been to better and worse equivalents across the canaries.

We had booked 10 days half board to get away from the extended winter in the UK. The canary sun continued to shine throughout our stay, which ensured we enjoyed the break. However I was a little disappointed that the hotel didn't front the beach and was a couple of blocks back. My fault for not researching properly, and not a problem as it was an easy, pleasant walk.
Puerto de Mogan is a lovely picturesque resort which can become overcrowded during the day and shuts at 10 pm in the evening. Not a problem as we were not particularly looking for exciting night lfe, but it did detract from our after dinner walk slightly as everywhere was either deserted or packing up for the night. There is one little back street (known locally as bar street) which appeared to have a couple of bars that remained open. I was also disappointed to find a couple of down-and-outs begging firstly in the port area at night, and later actually outside the hotel itself. One scandinavian man actually chased you down the street begging for money.

We met lots of return-visitors, so obviously the hotel was hitting the spot with some people (probably those with young children as there seemed to be quite a bit going on for them). The rooms were OK - a bit boring with insufficient storage (few drawers and only half hanging in the wardrobes which meant longer garments and even shirts creasing at the bottom). Beds were hard (you can request toppers apparently) and for some reason gave us bad dreams every night. Our fridge worked fine and we stocked up on water and bits for lunch which we had on the balcony. We took advice from other posts and asked for a room on a high floor with afternoon sun, overlooking the pool. There are several blocks with A and B being at the back of the resort close to reception.

I would agree with the comments regarding the food - lots of it (unless you went at the end of service) but not particularly exciting. The carvery usually had pork, beef or rabbit and there were lots of different veggies in different guises. One night I asked for a plain pork chop to be cooked together with a chicken kebab - the chop ended up raw in the middle and the kebab was pre-cooked and reheated but the middle was still cold (to be fair that was the only really poor meal we had). Fish was the same types each night. Desserts were ok but lots of warmed tinned fruit every night. Breakfast was good and very filling - missed my fresh pineable though! Entertainment was ok - there was an act on every evening between 10-11. Sometimes there was also live music in the reception lounge earlier in the evening - but unfortunately for several evenings they had a large TV screening football, which if you are not a sports fan which we aren't.

Pool areas and gardens are lovely - plenty of sun beds to go round. To explore further, take the ferry from the marina and visit various ports around the coast, or take the bus for a scenic and exhilarating ride. Note that the location of the resort in a valley means that the sun doesn't get to the pool areas till at least mid-morning and disappears over the cliffs by around 7 (no sunsets to be seen unfortunately).

I would recommend the hotel - just don't believe all the hype and raise your expectations above a solid 4 star hotel. I would however comment on the fabulous standard of service received from all the staff from bell boys to waiting staff, which was perhaps the best we have found throughout the canary islands.

Room Tip: If you want to be near the town entrance choose block J. Blocks A/B are nearest reception and overl...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I am writing this review as I sit in the spa on our last day at the Hotel Cordial Playa.
(Using free wifi to do so which works very well everywhere)
Like most of the other reviews on here I have to say this really is a gem of a place;
The hotel is very clean and welcoming, after arriving here last Saturday afternoon we were welcomed at reception by some very gentle and polite staff who also gave us the customary glass of Cava which was needed after flying Ryanair to get there (sure you all know what I mean if you have had to use the terrible airline). After asking if I could buy a bottle of the Cava, as we had not come all inclusive, they said yes it was 14 euros and once I had agreed to pay they gave it to us for free, suffice to say this set the tone for how good this hotel is!
I can recommend this hotel to couples, family's, elders and more as really works well for all from what I can see, we do not have children but they seem very well catered for with various activities.
The staff here really make it what it is as they cannot do enough for you, they do not seem to have the word no in their vocab! The food is great, plenty of choice and, while we normally would not go for this 'food hall' type of holiday, it has been really good although we have said when returning we would probably choose B&B (instead of H/B) as we would like to get to the port more and experience different restaurants.
Must mention the climate here if you have not been to Gran Canaria before, it's perfect, lovely and hot during the day yet cool enough at night to sleep.
Hope this helps.

scunthorpe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We are currently staying here with a family of 6 all under 11.
I felt it necessary to put a review on ASAP as this has got to be one of he best Hotels and destinations we have ever been to weve dine it all Sandals carribean dubai the lot.. and will be returning in winter. There are really no faults and nothing but great thoughts here. The location the staff the food the pools even other holiday makers are nice people I think this is a real "secret " I'm happy Travel Republic advertise this gem as I would not have found it otherwise. I recommend if you can afford to book "Full Board Plus" we haven't had to spend a penny since arriving all drinks are named eg Pepsi in bottle Shweppes and bottled tropical lager is spot on. The house wines are very good we personally think the Rose is the best. If your booking a holiday Look no further Go For It you will want to return again and again..

• Stayed April 2013
Kristiansand, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 1 week for our honeymoon at Cordial Mogan Playa. The hotel was just great and beautiful. We had an amazing week! Thanks. This hotel have really all what you need! Beautiful swiming pool area and fantastic garden to relax and have fun! A lot of fun activities all the time, such as aqua gym with instruktor Sara (my favorite), water polo, fitness, yoga, football, cocktail games etc. The hotel offered fun things to do all the time. In the evening they had a mixed variety of entertainment and music acts. The breakfast buffett every morning was great, as was the dinner buffett which we tried a couple of days. Everything with the hotel invites you to relax, enjoy your holiday and participate in fun activities. Thank you Cordial Mogan Playa!

Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We are a Belgian-Norwegian family from Luxembourg traveling with 3 children of the age of 2 - 5. We arrived at Cordial Mogan Playa with high expectations having read all the positive reviews and can only say that these expectations were exceeded! We have stayed at a lot of hotels both privately and professionally (including 5 star ones) and I dare say that Cordial Mogan Playa is the one that has most consistently ticked all the boxes in terms of facilities, food and not least, service. Everything from the booking to post-trip follow up was done so well that it leaves me thinking that this place is extremely well run, not least in terms of recruitment and staff motivation.

Speaking Spanish, I decided to give booking.com (and the likes) a miss and book directly with the hotel, most of all to avoid the hotel having to pay any commissions. I've found from past experience that hotels often give you a certain degree of preferential treatment in terms of service, although this is hard to prove. Despite all the room recommendations on Tripadvisor, I decided to chance it and let the hotel allocate their own choice of room for us. A very friendly and helpful lady named Estefanía informed us that we would be given one single and one double-room with connecting doors. I was expecting two rooms next to each other on a corridor, with a door in the wall between them. The reality was actually more like a corner suite with a huge private "buffer" hall between the two rooms, useful for leaving suitcases, beach towels, toys etc. The bathrooms were large and well-equipped, there was plenty of cabinet space and each room had a flat screen TV with a good choice of international channels and a DVD player. Each room had a nice terrace with a small garden looking out on a small, internal walkway with virtually no passage. We had beautiful sunshine all afternoon, which was practical for when our youngest one needed her afternoon nap and one of us stayed behind to look after her. One minor complaint that has been voiced by many people before me: The safe deposit box is charged at EUR2.30 a day. Its an annoying little charge that probably causes more reputational damage and administration that it actually earns the Hotel. It should be included in the room rate for a hotel of this standard.

A significant budget must have gone into building this hotel. The lobby area is beautiful with its massive dome and huge wooden beams and the landscaping is just great. The architects and builders seem to have paid great attention to detail and there's a thorough feeling of quality. Thanks to its layout, it feels like a smaller hotel than it actually is. We were there for 10 days over the busy Easter period and even so it never felt crowded.

The food was great. I cannot even start to imagine the planning and organisation it must take to serve so many people so many different things three times a day. The dining hall is massive with many different food islands, however unlike so many other holiday hotels, hardly anything is repeated so the choice is incredible. And not once did I have the impression that something was not fresh. Because dinner was so abundant and full of choice, the lunch buffet (served in one of the pool-side restaurants) almost felt like a let-down. Not because it's not good, but because it has so much less variety. In any case, my advice to you would be only to go half board. We had full-board and it was just too much. It almost felt like we were going from one meal straight on to the next. One could easily go from breakfast to dinner without eating, especially if one is lying by the pool all day. And those who don't manage can always have a snack at the bar. The wine-list was exclusively Spanish if I remember right, but that was not actually a bad thing. Too much choice often affects quality and not least the price/quality ratio. They had a good selection of well-known Riojas and Ribera del Duero s (+ others) at a very reasonable price.

The pool areas are great with two large main pools a children's pool (at least one, didn't check...), whirlpools etc. As at all hotels, there is the never-ending story of people reserving sundbeds before they go to breakfast. My previous experience was that this sport was mainly a German one, but I now have to eat humble pie and admit that (we) Norwegians are by far the worst and that the British and Irish are hardly any better. Two particular families (Irish and Norwegian) consistently reserved a large number of sunbeds in the best spots early every morning and then went off on excursions until lunchtime. This being said, there's plenty of space for everyone and we never had any problems getting 5 sunbeds next to each other, it's just if you're after a particular spot (esp. by the main pools) it might get a bit tricky. In any case, the staff went out of their way to accommodate the ones who didn't find spaces where they wanted by moving beds around etc. A small complaint: Many guests leave their empty plastic drink cups lying behind their sunbeds when they leave in the evening (despite the many bins being placed conveniently around the place) and it seems that the pool staff often forget to clean it up in the evening, with the cups and their sticky remains still being there in the morning.

The kids' club and its friendly staff did a great job at keeping the children smiling and the 30 minute kids' disco in the evening was a great idea. My kids are still singing "Veo, veo, que ves, una cosita..." at home. Happy kids = happy parents.

Cheesy as it may sound, I think this hotel's greatest asset is its staff. Perhaps we are naive, but the vast majority of smiles actually seemed genuine, which is surprising when you see how hard everyone is working and the long days that many of the staff endure. It's hard to mention names (especially since the name tags they were are so small) but some people made a particular impression on us Estefania in reservations and Mari Angeles in booking and reception (first impressions are so important), the Maitre d'hotel/head waiter Sr Guerra who had an extremely sharp eye for what was needed around the dining room and always provided excellent, friendly service, our main cleaner Maria Jesús, Claudia at the kids' club and not least Sr Aguilar, the sub-director who was always visible around the hotel grounds, continuously and pro-actively attending to his guests' needs (he even came up to us on our first night and said we should ask him if we needed anything at all).

In short, 99% happy with our holiday. 100% would take a 50% price reduction, but then again, this is planet earth...

On our way home from the airport, we noticed that our eldest daughter was crying in the car. "What's wrong we asked?" I don't want the holiday to be over, she replied. How's that for an endorsement...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Visby, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We came home to Gotland,Sweden this week from our 9th stay at Cordial Mogan Playa.14 days with excellent food and the sun will hopefully help us through the snowy and cold spring here. We will be back in November together with our son and his family!

Newbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I read a lot of these reviews before we decided to book the Cordial Mogan Playa, definitely wasn't dissapointed, lived up to our expectations and more. Would like to make this an annual trip to this hotel and to Mogan. If there was tea & coffee making facilities in the rooms, this would have made it perfect. Thanks again to all the staff for making this holiday so enjoyable

Room Tip: an upper room facing the quieter pool, gets the afternoon sun
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cordial Mogan Playa? Share your experiences!