Having read all the glowing reviews I was looking forward to holidaying in an exceptional 4 star hotel. Whilst it was a good four star there was little, other than the service, that made it stand out from the rest. I have been to better and worse equivalents across the canaries.
We had booked 10 days half board to get away from the extended winter in the UK. The canary sun continued to shine throughout our stay, which ensured we enjoyed the break. However I was a little disappointed that the hotel didn't front the beach and was a couple of blocks back. My fault for not researching properly, and not a problem as it was an easy, pleasant walk.
Puerto de Mogan is a lovely picturesque resort which can become overcrowded during the day and shuts at 10 pm in the evening. Not a problem as we were not particularly looking for exciting night lfe, but it did detract from our after dinner walk slightly as everywhere was either deserted or packing up for the night. There is one little back street (known locally as bar street) which appeared to have a couple of bars that remained open. I was also disappointed to find a couple of down-and-outs begging firstly in the port area at night, and later actually outside the hotel itself. One scandinavian man actually chased you down the street begging for money.
We met lots of return-visitors, so obviously the hotel was hitting the spot with some people (probably those with young children as there seemed to be quite a bit going on for them). The rooms were OK - a bit boring with insufficient storage (few drawers and only half hanging in the wardrobes which meant longer garments and even shirts creasing at the bottom). Beds were hard (you can request toppers apparently) and for some reason gave us bad dreams every night. Our fridge worked fine and we stocked up on water and bits for lunch which we had on the balcony. We took advice from other posts and asked for a room on a high floor with afternoon sun, overlooking the pool. There are several blocks with A and B being at the back of the resort close to reception.
I would agree with the comments regarding the food - lots of it (unless you went at the end of service) but not particularly exciting. The carvery usually had pork, beef or rabbit and there were lots of different veggies in different guises. One night I asked for a plain pork chop to be cooked together with a chicken kebab - the chop ended up raw in the middle and the kebab was pre-cooked and reheated but the middle was still cold (to be fair that was the only really poor meal we had). Fish was the same types each night. Desserts were ok but lots of warmed tinned fruit every night. Breakfast was good and very filling - missed my fresh pineable though! Entertainment was ok - there was an act on every evening between 10-11. Sometimes there was also live music in the reception lounge earlier in the evening - but unfortunately for several evenings they had a large TV screening football, which if you are not a sports fan which we aren't.
Pool areas and gardens are lovely - plenty of sun beds to go round. To explore further, take the ferry from the marina and visit various ports around the coast, or take the bus for a scenic and exhilarating ride. Note that the location of the resort in a valley means that the sun doesn't get to the pool areas till at least mid-morning and disappears over the cliffs by around 7 (no sunsets to be seen unfortunately).
I would recommend the hotel - just don't believe all the hype and raise your expectations above a solid 4 star hotel. I would however comment on the fabulous standard of service received from all the staff from bell boys to waiting staff, which was perhaps the best we have found throughout the canary islands.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This impressive resort represents a Canarian Village and consists of 9 different buildings. There are 487 rooms, distributed in 399 double rooms, 33 single rooms, 5 double suites and 50 junior suites. There isn't a feeling of being in a large resort - the original architecture which includes a chapel speaks for itself. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning, satellite TV with integrated DVD-player, mini bar (for supplement), safe (on charge), bathroom with hairdryer, furnished terrace or balcony and more. The total surface of 48.000 M2, includes about 10.300 M2 of subtropical garden area with two splendid swimming pools (heated in winter) and whirlpools, kid's pool, kid's playground, solarium with sun beds, mattresses, umbrellas, and pool restaurant with terrace. This luxury resort offers a buffet restaurant, a-la-carte restaurant "Los Guayres," 3 bars, Discobar, Kiosque, a meeting room, a TV room, an internet and reading room (Internet on charge), Wellness and Spa Center "Spa Inagua" (for supplement, entrance up to 18 years old) and a large variety of sport activities (bowling alley, multi-sport field, gym, ping pong, darts, boccia, garden chess, aerobics, aqua gym...). Some activities may be on charge. The Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa is a unique combination of a luxury vacational resort with an authentic Spanish atmosphere in a peaceful and beautiful surrounding. The wonderful subtropical climate allows the visitor to enjoy water sport activities and to play golf all year round. • In January 2009 opened the international Dive Company. Extra Divers is based within the hotel offering dive courses and excursions• In March 2009 the archeological park "Las Crucecitas" was inaugurated. It forms part of the hotel and shows newest remains and findings of the ancient burial grounds of the Guanches• In November 2011 opened "Hike & Bike" offering bike rental, excursions etc.• WiFi free of charge in whole hotel area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Despegar.com and Venere so you can book your Cordial Mogan Playa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cordial Mogan Playa Hotel Puerto De Mogan
- Mogan Playa
- Hotel Mogan Playa
- Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa
- Cordial Mogan Playa Puerto De Mogan, Gran Canaria