“Average Hotel that could be a lot better with a bit of care and work” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaia Village Hotel

Save Saved
You added Gaia Village Hotel to your Saves list
Gaia Village Hotel
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Tingaki, Tigaki 85300 , Greece   |
Ranked #10 of 16 Specialty lodging in Tigaki
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Average Hotel that could be a lot better with a bit of care and work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We have just got back from the Gaia Village Hotel in Kos and even though we only booked this 3 star accommodation i feel that it could have easily been improved to a higher status. The location was fine only half hour from airport and a 5 minute stroll to the lovely beach and the sea was safe for kids as it was only waist deep 20 meters out great stuff. Reception was nice with fish tanks and was very clean. We were allocated our rooms and as we had arrived after the buffet evening meal had ended they supplied us all with something to eat. The hotel site is quite spread out and we were a fair way from the reception and there were no bell boys so we had to hump the cases up and down stairs. The rooms were very nice with aircon and a tv (nothing worth watching) but lacked a fridge and tea/coffee facilities which let it down. The toilet seat was cracked and the bath mat was absolutely filthy so we used a towel for the floor instead. I put the bath mat on top of the bin, the best place for it, but the maids put it back obviously oblivious to the state of it!!!. Dont get me wrong the room was otherwise spotless and was cleaned every day.
Around the complex there were a few other noticeable improvements required:-
the pools had stains/tide marks around them and one day a newspaper blew out of the unemptied bin and landed in the baby pool, shredding itself in the process so we reported it to the staff but it wasn't sorted till the next day despite them noticing no one going into the pool as it was horrible.
the toilets under the bar were very smelly with flies and stains on the walls the whole week never cleaned off. The gents had one of the toilets constantly running with water. I fixed it twice myself as it only needed a minor repair and eventually was fixed permanently before our stay ended.
entertainment was none existent except for disco night on the sunday which in fact was very good and attracted a huge amount of people to which the two very hard working evening bar staff struggled to cope with.
food was about the same as any other all inclusive so nothing to really complain about there except maybe a bit more variety. None of our party of 5 got ill so that was a good thing too.
the grounds were nice but a bit more gardening and general tidying up/ painting wouldn't have gone a miss, ie broken chairs left lying about instead of throwing them away. lawns mown a bit more often.
Overall it was a good holiday and we had a good time with plenty of sunshine to a get great tan.
In my opinion the staff need to take a backseat look at their surroundings and maybe have a suggestion box for improvements to be made. There wasn't enough staff but the ones there worked their socks off especially Pavlos the chap in charge of the bar in the daytime as he single handedly looked after about 200 people each day and never dropped his manners or his smile. This Hotel needs the Hotel inspector off the tv to help turn it into a 5 star property !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Treviglio, Italia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Just came back from Kos... Me and other 8 friends... Staid in Gaia village 1 week and moved around the island with scooters. Nice hotel with 3 pool were you can relax without being disturbed... Food is ok and you can select between different types... 15 minutes from Kos Town and 25 min from Kardamena, were you can have really a good time in different pubs and bars in bar street... Only problem: we were set in the building in acros sthe road from the reception and there was a strange strong smell coming from the garden... Might have been something momentary... But still not nice when you're on your holidays!

• Stayed August 2012
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

If you can read English, please read this review and disregard a lot of the negativity that is written below. I have just returned from an 11 night break at the Gaia Village Hotel and have to admit that we investigated changing our reservation to another hotel having read a number of the reviews on Trip Advisor.

The headline is that this is a great hotel, with extremely friendly staff, set in a great location with facilities becoming a hotel of this rating and price.

We were a party of 6 people, 2 adults and 4 children aged 12, 10, 9 and 7. Incidentally this is one of the few all-inclusive hotels in Europe that we have found that can accommodate 6 people in one two storey apartment/ room.

I have stayed at many all-inclusives including Sandals in the Caribbean, Mark Warner, Club Med and last year Blue Lagoon Village in Kos Town. For the same price as last year, we were able to stay for 11 nights at the Gaia Village compared to 7 nights at the Blue Lagoon. This included flights and transfers so as we were getting 11 nights for the price of 7, our expectations were not as high.

Flight with Easyjet was fine and as always with Easyjet, as expected. Suggest you eat at the airport before you fly.

Transfer was adequate although I suggest sending one of the adults out of the airport before your cases arrive to get yourself on the list. If you don’t you may have to wait longer.

Check in was fairly seamless and they had kept 6 salads for us as we arrived after dinner, which had finished at 9pm. Pay very careful attention when being given directions to your room as there is no concierge service (it’s a 3 star hotel) and there appears to be no real logic to the room numbering system. We didn’t pay attention and paid the 15 minute price... with 4 kids and luggage after an 8 hour journey. We asked for a fridge which costs €3 per day but gives you a key to allow you to leave your air-conditioning on the whole time. This is a good investment.

Our room was great. 2 floors with a bed for my daughter in the hallway with bathroom opposite, a sealed off double bedroom with balcony and stairs down to a large room where there were 3 single beds for the boys. They each had their own bedside table a good sized wardrobe and had patio doors onto the garden.

There are 3 pools at the hotel. All are great and most of the ‘louder’ people tend to be at the main one by the bar… The annex is part of the hotel but we didn’t learn this till the last day. This is another great pool and bar which we would use if we return. The pools are shallow enough for toddlers although there didn’t seem to be a lifeguard on duty. If your kids can’t swim then I’m not sure which pool I would recommend.

There are no real activities organised by the hotel which would be my one major gripe. The odd game of football, water polo or basketball or even a table tennis or pool tournament would be great. We made friends with other families and had our own games but this could easily have been arranged by the hotel.

There is one main restaurant which is open long enough to get everyone through for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you want to eat early it will be busy. If you wait till later it will be quiet. There are about 5 meat/ fish dishes each evening and for mass catering it is done well. Some people said it is lukewarm at best but this is not true. The food is not piping hot but it is adequate and filling.

There are plenty of drink stations in the restaurant which allows you to constantly refill if required.
I enjoyed the food but we did eat out for dinner twice in the 11 nights. This cost about €80 for 6 people and we had two great meals. The restaurant on the beach road nearest to the hotel, advertising fresh fish is outstanding. Kids meals are €5 – I had swordfish and it was great. Rachel in the Australian bar next door is fantastic and very welcoming.

The location is outstanding – you are literally a 3 minute walk from Tigaki which is a very small Greek beachside resort. It’s not Sorrento but the fish and chip brigade haven’t taken over. However the beach is amazing. Wonderful sand, beach and sea sports available (at a cost) and a very safe, shallow sea with no stones at all.

The bottom line is this is a good value for money hotel. Every single member of staff seems to have a smile on their face and cannot do enough to help you. The hotel appears to be about 10 years old so things are not brand spanking new but you get what you pay for. I had a good chat with the General Manager and pointed out a number of easy, minor improvements. She has made note of these and said that they would be addressed. None are worthy of mention on here though. Yes, there are mosquitoes but buy repellent, spray before meal times and plug one into your room. There is no vodka but you can manage without it, and if you can’t, buy a bottle at the airport for €10 and surreptitiously top yourself up… Yes, Brits will not recognise some of the food but you are in Greece and you are not going to get sausage, egg and chips. Having said that the fried eggs at breakfast are fantastic, there was always some sort of spicy sausage for lunch and chips were served at most mealtimes. Its guaranteed sun, on the beach and there are no surprises…

Please message me if you have any further questions – I, or my children would be happy to help.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Firstly this hotel is in the most ideal location on the island which other reviews have failed to mention how close it is to all the shops, restaurants and beach absolutely perfect ! The hotel was clean, with beautiful gardens and nice big rooms. Me and my boyfriend ended up with a family sized room in the end which was lovely with a balcony overlooking the gardens, picture perfect! Could not fault the staff and bar staff, plenty of room by the pool with very comfy sun loungers and you didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn for it either and we went the start of July till mid July! Unfortunately the only thing we felt, that we couldn't give this hotel the best rating is the food unfortunately. We felt it lacked in flavor and some of the meat dishes very bland and by the end of the holiday a bit tiresome! However if you have a few extra euros to spend if you do all inclusive is to go out and eat at the amazing restaurants they have on the main roads. Seriously the best flavored steaks and dishes i have ever tasted and all for 25 euros all together and that was with a drinks also !! I would say this hotel is good for young family's and couples, I would total recommend the hotel, however if you are willing to spend extra money on food out you should !! Also some reviews have said about limited drinks, however this didn't seem to bother us as cocktails on the strip were 3 euros and delicious! so really a big deal! Overall one of my best holidays, will be definitely visiting the island again !!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Gaia Village is a great place to go for a holiday, me and my girlfriend went as our first holiday abroad and have come back with many fond memories.

My other-half had been on tripadvisor the last couple of months worrying about the reviews from last year, most of all worried about the cleanliness of the hotel room. Well all worries were dispelled when we entered our room (with our late night food given to us) it was clean, spacious with good facilities (good air-con system which you can have on all day round!) and the cleaners were fantastic. Superb gardens around the hotel, gives you a nice feeling in the morning when you wake up, shame not many people mentioning that. The staff overall were brilliant, kind and attentive. Seen many reviews about a swarm of mossies but for our trip (9th July - 20th July) we experienced little insects which was lucky i guess.
Its surprising that no-one has mentioned the great location that the hotel is in. Tigaki is a wonderful part of the Island, lovely beach, great cheap cocktail bars, karaoke bar and superb cheap restaurants if your tired of the All Inclusive food...which does bring me onto my first quarrel. The food is not brilliant, it prevents the hotel from being a 4-star. Luke warm (which didnt actually bother me but will others), overcooked, dry meat and too much salt in everything. Fresh fruit was nice, but apart from that it was distinctly average. Advice to couples would be to take some money and eat out occasionally as its cheap to and adds to the holiday. Went to a restaurant called Rodini's which served a steak, chips and salad at good portions (and the steak being fantastic) at 7.80 Euros.
We did not rent a car for this trip as I had a friend who went a few week prior and recommended that we use the bus service instead, due to the amount of buses to the areas. Also booking excursions you dont need a car as they provide travel for you. Went to Kos Town using their bus' which was a lovely day out. Would highly recommend the 3-Island tour for couples, fantastic day out for 35.00 euros each. Advice for couples would to obviously go before the school holidays, unless your not bothered by children like me and my girlfriend as we work in education.
Not many english at the hotel which at first was brilliant because there was a reason I wanted to go to Greece not Benidorm. Was brilliant just being away from the world and not hearing what everyone had to say. However, I must warn English people that people from other parts in Europe were not quite as polite as we may be in England. I did not realize how polite we are to strangers compared to other countries. Over the 10 days I saw people not saying thankyou to the waiters for picking up the dirty plates, or for pouring them a drink. On a few occasions I opened a door without a thankyou, this may just be a personal thing but it did bug me.
Weather was beautiful as expected, would love to go to Greece again, but personally if i went back to Gaia i may go Half-Board as I cannot stomach the food for 10days straight.
Overall Gaia Villagae is a fantastic place to go and I hope people do keep going there as they have improved tremendously.

Room Tip: Choose one on the second floor, nice view of the gardens (probably) and nice to be on the balcony.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

If you're about to have a comfortable air-conditioned and clean room with separate entrance from the street (vs. corridor system), pretty good food and service, sand beach, enough sites to get tired of during 2 weeks stay and... a reasonable price, than your choice pretty well could be this Gaja Village hotel.

We've been there with a 25 people group of several families with children from 8 to 15 y.o. All of them are satisfied :-) No complaints.

Well, there has to be something not good for you to believe :-) There were nights with a lot of mosquitos on a beach and near by, but it's ok, you better not go swimming in the night :-) All rooms are equipped with window-nets. My family slept well. However, there were those, who left their windows open at the evening. They've paid for it :-)

Gaia Village at Tigaki (Kos Island) is a good choice.

Room Tip: I'd like to suggest rooms with the number higher than 300, for almost all of them are far from b...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

My wife and I along with our toddler booked this hotel as a late deal, after arriving late at night we were swiftly provided with 2 meal boxes once we had checked in and were advised where our room was. After scrambling around for a while we located our room 270 (not currently numbered but we tried the key and it fitted!) the room was as expected, clean, spacious and facing the main pool with the fountain. The bathroom could have been in better condition (it was quite smelly presumably due to the drain in the centre of the floor) in comparision to the bedroom and there was a large gap under our front door which bugs came in. These are only minimal gripes and certainly didnt spoil our holiday. The food was varied and fresh, although the dining room was very hot and has no air con whatsoever. The barman Pavlos was very friendly as were the rest of the staff, making a point of fussing over our little girl which made her feel very special. The second pool was fantastic if you have little ones as the deepest area was only a meter and so enabled our 3 year old to confidently stand up in the water whilst she practiced her swimming. The kids 'club' was non existant, although there was a kiddies disco on one evening during our stay which was good. The childrens playground was not very safe at all, the swings were covered in some kind of astroturf which was uncomfortable to sit on, the see-saw looked like it would break if you sat on it and the toys, well there was a dirty playhouse, 2 tractors (both broken and only had one working pedal on each) and that was it. The pictures of the playground and the toys shown on our holiday company website were obviously out of date, but was a factor that drew us to the hotel as it showed 6-7 cozy coupe's which our daughter has at home. All in all if aircon in the dining room and the selection of toys in the playground was updated then i feel this would be a great hotel. I would grade it as a 3* not a 4. Lastly, take a short walk into Tingaki and visit 'Mylos' taverna, they are great with children and the food is excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Gaia Village Hotel? Share your experiences!