“Not a 4 star hotel!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Tigaki Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tigaki
Tigaki Beach Hotel
You added Tigaki Beach Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tigaki 85300, Greece   |
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Tigaki
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Not a 4 star hotel!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

OK, so let's start with the positives first. The hotel is very well situated, with the main town being a 7-8 minute walk away from the hotel where you can eat and shop. The beach is at the end of the hotel's driveway. It is sandy with several shady trees to sit under if you feel like it. The sea is also very shallow until you are about 50 meters away from the shore, so it's great for kids too. The hotel features 4 pools, 2 of which are for small children, and the atmosphere around the hotel is suitable to take families with small children.

and now the rest... the hotel is split into two buildings. The newer part has air-con on 24/7 and there are mosquito nets over the doors and windows. These are the "superior" rooms and you will need to pay a premium to be in that part of the hotel. The older part only has air-con on from midday until midnight. We went there in August when Greece was experiencing a heat-wave. It got up to 38 degrees in the day, and didn't really go lower than 25 degrees at night. This made the nights intolerably uncomfortable and sticky, subsequently we didn't get much sleep over the whole holiday. We did complain about the rooms (the first one had very ineffective air-con and was a furnace), and we got moved on the Saturday. The second room was better, had much better air-con, but this still switched off at midnight leaving us in the same predicament.

It is a half-board hotel, so you've already paid for your breakfast and evening meal. Whilst complimentary drinks of coffee, tea, milk, water and orange juice were handed out at breakfast; this wasn't the case for your evening meal where you had to pay extra for a drink. For a family of 4 this clocked in at about 10€/night, and I felt it was a little tight for the hotel not to provide a complimentary soft drink. It felt as though they had a captive audience and so were going to milk a bit more cash out of the guests. This left a rather bitter taste in the mouth.

On several occasions the smell of drains was clearly apparent around two of the pools and round the front entrance. This really is quite off-putting and unpleasant.

Finally, and this point isn't a negative, but one which you should be aware of. The hotel caters for mainly German guests. As a matter of fact, about 95% are German, 4.5% are French and the remaining 0.5% are British. I have absolutely no complaints about the other guests whatsoever, all nationalities conducted themselves with decorum whilst on holiday in what is a family holiday resort. My point is that there is a clear language barrier if you, like me, are completely ignorant when it comes to conversing in other languages. If you like chatting with other people and want your kids to be able to play with other English speaking children, then you will (like us) be playing "spot the Brit". On the few occasions we did meet British guests, we had a good old chat and a few beers out in the town. This was sadly a more rare occasion than I would have liked.

In summary, Kos is a lovely place to visit and has a number of attractions that you should enjoy. I feel a hotel should be a pleasant place to stay, and somewhere to "hole-up" if you don't fancy going out or want to laze by the pool. Unfortunately the Tigaki Beach Hotel does not live up to this standard. It has outdated air-con, and the fact it is turned off for half the day is inexcusable. The half-board menu is too repetitive and you are stung for drinks when you sit down to eat your evening meal. Finally the drains were a distraction at various points in the holiday. Based on the fact we had to go at high season, and had to pay similarly high prices, I would not recommend this hotel and will not be going back there.

For your info, we complained to our rep on the holiday have submitted a complaint report to Olympic Holidays and are awaiting their response.

Room Tip: Choose a "superior" room so you have air-con that is on all day long. You will need it if...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We had a room in the old part of the hotel. It was ok although it could be refreshed, it was clean. The beds are not very comfortable and the room is a bit noisy because you hear the AC and the water in the drains. We heard some customers complaining because their AC were not working. There is only one plug in the room to charge your devices. The TV has a few German channels, there were not English channels.

The food at the buffet is not good. It is very greasy and looks like canteen food (Crisps, overcooked pasta, Stew,…). Go in any restaurant in Tigaki you will eat better. I think this is why the price is low in this hotel. The service at the pool bar is friendly but very slow. In general staff will speak German and a few words of English. Wifi is very expensive (5 Euro for 90 minutes) strange to experience that in 2013 but the management of the hotel is old fashion.

The good part is the 2 swimming pools, they are very clean and there is plenty of chairs around them. The beach is at 200m and is also very clean (costs 2.50 Euro per person). Near the pool there are available showers and towels for the last day to use after checkout. The location of the hotel is great because you have the bus stop for Kos just in front (buy the 2Euro ticket in the bus) and it is 5 minutes walk from Tigaki’s main road (restaurants, shops, bars,…).

So apart from the food, and as we spend most of our time on the road, at the beach or at the pool, the stay in Tigaki Beach Hotel was ok.

Don’t forget to rent a car to explore the island, Kos is beautiful, people are very nice and it is very easy to drive (apart from the roundabouts). Check the sunset in Zia and visit the castle in old Pili.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

First of all I want to start off by saying that Kos island is truly superb, so many places to visit and a truly beautiful place. Tigaki Beach however definitely left a black mark on the overall trip. Even though the grounds of the hotel are beautiful (2 lovely pools & well looked after gardens), the rooms are barely above average, to say basic is probably an overrating. I stayed for 7 nights with two friends (all in our early 20’s). You realise the room is not up to standard when you walk in with your friends and there’s a synchronized silent. As a group of three we expected 3 beds however the third ‘bed’ that was put in the room was pretty much a couch with a pillow. The TV only had BBC news as an English channel but countless German channels, not great when you want to relax after a day trip and all you hearing about is deaths and protests. The showers were very mouldy and the bathroom left you feeling like you needed to tiptoe everywhere. one really annoying thing was that there was only one free plug in the room. With 3 phones that needed to be charged on a daily basis, this was very frustrating so we had to unplug both the TV and fridge in order to compensate. Wi-Fi lovers!!?? Well you need to pay 18 euros for the week for a limited amount of MB in order to use the internet. This was absolutely ridiculous as many of the local hotels and restaurants offered this for free, and should be included in the price, after all it claims to be a 4*.

The food was very very basic, their version of fresh juice is a really watered down or too concentrated squash, even though this won’t matter to you the first few days on day 4 you will feel it!! Couldn’t understand how they couldn’t even get the tea right. You would expect a range of fruit during the week, but be prepared to have watermelon and melon every night. The desserts were hit and miss, some of the cakes were just there, but some you couldn’t help but take a bite and leave the rest. There is quite a lot of choice but everything is bland and you taste the non-effort put in the dish. Very disappointing.

After seeing the reviews and the repeated mention of German tourists in this hotel I didn’t understand how that would affect one’s stay, but I sure do now! As a person of colour one of the waiters told me that some of the German guests had made some comments. He also said he had come to my defense replying to them that if they didn’t like it they could go somewhere else, I found this quiet valiant, however from that night on the waiter became somewhat over friendly. Constantly making racial jokes which to be frank weren’t really needed. Apart from that, the hotel staff are very friendly always smiling and greeting and generally helpful.

The other positive is the location of the hotel, literally a few minutes from the beach but also a short walk from Tigaki ‘High street’. There, you can book the greatest excursions highly recommend Silia’s Tours competitive prices and just great days! Including day trips to Bodrum, Turkey. Also right outside the Tigaki Beach hotel you will find the bus top, where you can take a 20-30 minutes bus ride to Kos town (2 euros each way). In hindsight maybe booking an hotel in Kos town would have been better as it is clearly the heart of the island, great nightlife and generally a little more upbeat than Tigaki. However if you are aiming for a beach holiday, Tigaki is great town! (tip: take a bike ride to Marmari beach). ** If you are planning to take the 3 island excursion from Kos town harbour book the Katerina boat, cannot begin to explain how amazing that day was.

Overall very disappointed with the hotel, not too sure how it has gathered so many ratings. I have been to 3* star hotels better than this, it’s lovely on the outside, but personally it does come down to the room, and if that’s not good enough; then neither is the stay.

Room Tip: ask not to be located in front area of the hotel, you will constantly hear coaches arriving with new...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The hotel is situated in the perfect position, very close to beach and other facilities. It is a shame that upon arrival we were met by the most rude romanian women receptionist, she barely even looked at us whilst giving us our key and directions to our room, then it got worse- as soon as we walked into our room we were overcome with the most disgusting sewage smell coming out of the drain in the bathroom, we tried to close the bathroom door and the handle came off in my hand, so it would not close. I went to tell this to the receptionist and she demanded that I watched her open an office door to show me how to do it correctly!!- I do know how to open and close doors!! And that did not solve the problem of the smell so she sent the maintenance man up with me and he would hardly come in the room as he could not bear the smell and said there is nothing he can do about it. Back down to reception, this time she virtually threw down another key to a different room! We went to the second room and the toilet seat was covered in black mould and the balcony door would not lock. - I was with my fifteen year old daughter so did not feel safe. It looked like no-one had used the room in months, back to reception again!! She sent the cleaners up with me and the maintenance man- again he said he could do nothing with the door but the cleaning ladies were very nice and cleaned the toilet seat. As the balcony door did not lock I did not want to stay in this room either so back to reception where she practically shouted at me and asked if I wanted to see the manager, I said I would if she felt it necessary, although just a decent room would have been fine! I was almost pushed into the managers office and he was not polite or helpful in any way and told me that we would have to stay in one of the rooms until the next morning as the hotel was full. We reluctantly took the non smelly one. That was a bad move as with all the upheaval and bad start we had failed to notice that the generator for the air con was really close and very loud, we could not sleep until they turned it off at 1.30am And then more guests arrived in the room upstairs and we could hear chairs scraping, wardrobes and drawers being opened and closed and every step they took was so loud, finally got sleep at 3.30am. - you would think people arriving at that hour in the morning would wait to unpack at a more reasonable hour- very disrespectful -so basically a really bad start to a holiday that cost a lot of money, and as we all know save like hell to be able to do it!! The next morning we went to the receptionist at 7.45am and were given a room that was adequate but still in the old part of the hotel, you have to be out of the rooms by 12 midday so I really don't think someone vacated the room and it was then cleaned by that time in the morning, so I think the room was empty the previous night and they were just being awkward and unfriendly. I only booked it because it was 4 star and the rooms looked nice and modern- they don't show you the old rooms online! Apart from the bad start the pools were lovely, food could have been better, but the waiting staff and bar staff were all very nice as were the cleaning ladies. We were the only english people during our weeks stay, all other guests were german, which would have been fine - but we found them very rude and unfriendly- not even returning a smile. The wiry haired romanian receptionist should not be front of house - she would be more suited to cleaning the toilets. So very rude, and we did notice she seemed nicer to the german guests. However the other receptionist was nice enough. I would not say it is a 4 star hotel maybe a 2 or 3 at best.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Tigaki Beach hotel for a week in June-13. The hotel is well situated in Tigaki. Only a few steps from the hotel to the beach and the high street.
The rooms in the old building are really basic and clean. The beds are not comfy at all and don't even ask about the quality of the pillows.
We were pretty much the only English people in the hotel so do expect all staffs to speak to you in German because the hotel is full of them.
The pools are clean and many sunbeds to relax in the sun.
The food in the restaurant is really basic and pretty much the same every days. And it's pretty much chips, pasta bolognese, chicken, beef burger, salads. Pudding are every evening the same as well.
Not much fresh homemade food to be honest as well. I know the hotel is big but i'm sure it does not take that much to make a few dishes to have a better taste than powder and water together.
The staff is very friendly and that is a great point.
The A/C was not working during our stay even if it was over the 30C everydays, and not really going below the 20C over night.

Just outside the hotel you have the bus service to Kos Town that takes about 20 minutes. 2.00€ on way is pretty good bargain. And don't be afraid to get in the bus take a seat and pay after. Most of the time you will have two staff in the bus. A driver and a fare taker and that's pretty good way to keep on schedule to be honest.

I would recommend the More Meni bar just in front of the round about in Tigaki high street for GREAT cocktails and GREAT service!!!!!!!
And also the Nisiotiko restaurant OMG the food is great. Try the Prawn Saganaki they are FAB!!!!!!!
My partner and I would not go back to Tigaki Beach Hotel because we do not like staying twice at the same place. But if you want peace and quiet then this hotel is the place. But like i said before do expect to see mainly German people and all the staff to speak to you in German.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Great location right on the beach and a few hundred yards from shops and restaurants. 20 Minutes from Kos town on the regular bus service. Hotel has 2 very large pools in lovely gardens. The rooms are a good size and what you expect in Greece in terms of standard of decor and finish. We were the only English guests which was fine as the Germans, Russians and Dutch were generally quieter than the English on holiday so more relaxing round the pool. The staff all spoke English as well as German. Buffet was good with plenty of choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We have just returned from a week's stay in this hotel. Absolutely lovely - room was perfect with a fantastic balcony overlooking the countryside and hills to one side and the gardens and pools to the other. Very friendly staff, nothing was too much trouble. Food OK, plenty of choice, chef was frequently in the restaurant overseeing. At bottom of short drive is the bus stop to Kos and a beautiful beach with plenty of sunbeds. To the left of the hotel is a very short walk into the village with plenty of places to eat and shop. Does not have a childrens' club or much in the way of evening entertainment - no music round the pool Hooray! But all of that suited us well as we wanted a nice peaceful break. Overall, one of the best summer holiday hotels we have stayed in.

Room Tip: We stayed in the superior room but all rooms looked good and set around lovely gardens
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tigaki Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!