“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Parador Boquemar

You added Parador Boquemar to your Saves list
Parador Boquemar
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera 101 | Boqueron Village, Cabo Rojo 00622, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Cabo Rojo
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2006

In the beginning of March my husband and son and I needed a getaway on a budget. I booked a weekend stay at the Boquemar than as an after thought I checked the reviews than I got nervous there are several negative ones. I am originally from New York and have stayed at really extravagant rooms. At first I guess due to the reviews I was thinking "i've stayed in better places" but after the first hour of settling in and venturing out I began to be happy we booked here. We took a family package, which was great because we had breakfast and dinner included at the Cascadas Restaurant the chef is extraordinay. The service was very good and the smiles were warm and welcoming. The beach close by was a dream. This a great place just to enjoy a layback moment. There are no clubs but a few pubs to hang out at. You must remember that this is a parador not a hotel, rooms are usually simple. The a/c was working just fine and the room was cleaned for us very well. After I started to feel at home we had to leave but I am looking forward to staying again. Oh just a hint if you want service to be a positive one greet your parador employees with respect and smile. If you order people around you will get that negative tone. Continue to enjoy Puerto Rico it really is a paradise.

• Stayed March 2006
Boquemar, Manager at Parador Boquemar, responded to this review, October 27, 2010
We understand that you felt nervous when you read the reviews about our Parador and we are very glad yo gave us the chance to change that impression. We appreciate your comments about how you and your family felt during your stay, We are happy you had a wonderful time and hope you come back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2006

I stayed at the parador boquemar during the 2006 christmas holiday, while at the parador service and the food at the restaurant was excellent, the beach is within walking distance

Thank you so much for your review. We hope to see you back soon so you can enjoy another holiday in Puerto Rico and in Parador Boquemar (especially if you can visit on Christmas :)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2006

As many people that likes to do internal tourism in my island, I like to stay in hotels and inns of Puerto Rico. But my stay in the Boquemar Inn was unpleasant. First, the employee that manage my registration at the front desk was unprofesional. She looked like she was never happy with what she was doing. Second, the access ramp to the third floor looked like a labyrinth. Third, it seemed like somebody emptied a truck of ice on the pool. It was extremely cold. The air conditioning lack of conditioning was obvious, better said, the maintenance was lacking, since it did not chill. And finally the noise of the nearby pubs was unbearable and kept me awake at night.

• Stayed November 2005
We apologize if your stay was unpleasant. Usually our staff is very welcoming, friendly and attentive, and very committed to offering great service. We recognize that the ramp is a bit steep but a set of stairs is available to acces the third floor for those who find the climb difficult. As for the pool, since its located outdoors, it is subject to climate changes and sometimes becomes colder than usual.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2005

In general, our experience was unpleasant. First, when me and my girlfriend called to make reservations, the employee, conveniently, forgot to tell us that there was a bikers convention that weekend at the hotel facilities. For obvious reasons, this is the kind of information that we expect to know before making a reservation, counting on the good faith of the hotel personel of course, specially if one object the roaring sound of a whole bunch of motorcycles just outside the hotel and the presence of leather wearing gang impersonators everywhere. Second, the lady employee at the front desk was indiferent, unfriendly and kind of rude, constantly asking for a confirmation number, even thou we explain that we do not have it with us at the moment. At that moment, we asked ourselves, is it so hard to look in the reservation records for our reservation, as she finally did?...In my opinion, there is little or no supervision of the front desk employees. Third, there was no hot water!...Can you believe it?...When we called the front desk to inform this problem, at 7:00 PM, the employee told us that the hotel was near full capacity and apparently, every guest was showering at the same time. In our frustation, we joked that maybe the bikers were washing their bikes all at once. Fifth, the location of the hotel allows all kind of loud music and noise from local pubs and bars in to the room even thou the room is air conditioned. This may be a good thing for a party looking guest, but not for the typical, rest and quiet looking person that visit the west coast of the island. Sixth, the pool area was unkept and the water was foul. And last, but not least, the fact that the administration stamped a piece of paper on the back of the doors of each room, explaining, for example, that if you steal a towel you will be billed $10.00 or if you steal the TV you will be billed $300.00 is a very rude and cheaply attitude. They should know that not all guests are thieves and robers.

I can not comment about the restaurant because we decided to eat elsewhere, not wanting another bad experience.

Finally, the hotel is too expensive for the value they offer. I have being experiencing the hospitality of the west coast of Puerto Rico for decades, specially the hotels in the bahia salinas area, and in my opinion, the boquemar experience was the low point.

• Stayed December 2005
Covington, KY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2005

I stayed in hotels/inns throughout Puerto Rico in this price range and all were superior to this parador. The room was equipped but the staff could only be described as indifferent and there was a general drabness to the place. I must say that the location was perfect, in town and a 15 minute walk to the beach. We never even considered their restaurant since it was so dark and there are many cheerful, interesting places to eat in town.

• Stayed March 2005
Boquemar, Manager at Parador Boquemar, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
We respect your opinion but we are very surprised about the comments regarding our employees attitude and about our restaurant. We will evaluate all reviews and complaints to improve our service and facilities.
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2004

Fellow Travelers, unlike the last and only entry in 2003 from the person in New York, we just got back from Cabo Rojo and had quite a different and positive experience at the Parador Boquemar. We followed the same itinerary as they did. We first stayed in Cabo Rojo, and then moved on to Rincon, Dorado and eventually back to San Juan. But I actually didn't want to leave Cabo Rojo, and regretted it later on. My boyfriend had been there before and stayed at the Parador Boquemar in 1985 when he was 10. He loved it, and the town of Cabo Rojo. So much so that he wanted to go back and re-create the experience all over again. The staff was helpful and friendly. Our room was on the 3rd floor and overlooked the pool and the ocean/bay filled with sailboats. We loved it. The room was clean and had a full bath, fridge and a/c. We requested clean towels each day, and they were given to us. I had to chuckle a little when I read the previous person write about the steep incline to the 3rd floor. There was a second set of stairs on the opposite side of the building, but he is right, it is definitely steep and even if you are in shape it does make you huff and puff to get up a level. We did not eat in the restaurant, but we would have had there not been so many other options in town. The Oysters were delicious, and did not affect me at all, and I have the weakest of weak stomachs. The beach that we ventured to was about 15 minutes away, driving over a very bumpy road. But once we got there, we found a crescent shaped beautiful beach with teal blue water and a lighthouse in the distance that you can climb to with spectacular views. We stayed at the exact same hotel in Rincon, the Villa Cofresi. It was overpriced and too touristy there. Then we moved on to San Juan?.it was awful. Dirty, rude and inconsiderate people...if you like casinos and high-rise type overpriced hotels, then definitely go there. We just loved Cabo Rojo and want to go back again very soon. We regret not staying there longer. Happy traveling!

• Stayed March 2004
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, it will be helpful to other travelers that are planning a visit to Puerto Rico and need to know more about Parador Boquemar and the Cabo Rojo area. We hope to see you again soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2003

We had a crabby experience at this Parador. There is no elevator, but there is a ramp to the third floor which is very much like a ski slope in Austria. I was panting by the time I reached our room and the young men at the desk offered no help. The ramp is supposed to make the hotel accessible to people in wheelchairs, but it would take Arnold Swartzenneger to push a chair up that incline! We had dinner in the restaurant which has a Gastronomic designation from the Puerto Rico Tourism authority. That has to be a mistake. I was looking forward to Caribbean lobster, but all they had was frozen lobster from Africa which was done up in a cream sauce and quite good but, there was no lettuce for a salad, and no fresh vegetables. A large supermarket was nearby, and I wondered why someone just didn't go shopping and get fresh food. Breakfast was fine with a delicious and large serving of fresh papaya with eggs, bacon, ham or sausage and juice for $4.25. Boqueron is colorful. There are numerous small stands selling oysters and clams, but they are not refrigerated and I didn't dare eat shellfish that had been sitting in 80 degree weather for hours. Some of the vendors are very surly. When I asked the price of a small leather purse, the woman behind the stand barked out "Five dollars!" I did not buy the purse, and in fact we got out of there as soon as possible. We drove about two hours to Rincon and very thankfully checked into the delightful Villa Cofresi.

Been to Parador Boquemar? Share your experiences!