“Excellent stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Taverham
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Having read some of the previous reviews, I was a little wary, but I booked this hotel very last minute for a three night stay, had wanted an executive room, but was offered the honeymoon suite, as the executive suite was only available for two of the three nights. Felt a bit strange in a honeymoon suite being as I was travelling alone.
When I got there, I was booked in by a lovely lady on reception who took time to explain where everything was, and the times that meals were available.
The room was very clean, and tidy, and huge. The four poster bed was something that I hadn't expected, but it was very comfortable. The room came with plenty of storage space, tables, chairs and a settee, and the customary basket of tea, coffee and hot chocolate (the only thing missing was perhaps a few biscuits !!)
The location of the hotel is fabulous with lovely scenery, even beyond the golf courses (not being a golfer myself this part of the hotel held no interest for me). Didn't get to use the swimming pool, or any of the other amenities, but they certainly looked inviting.
The rooms are away from the bar area, so never experienced any noise in the room when the party of golfers were a little vocal in the bar on Saturday evening.
Would certainly recommend this to other travellers, and I would book here again if I was to travel back to this area in the future
All the staff were friendly, courteous and well dressed, nothing was ever too much trouble.

Room Tip: Would recommend an executive room as the views are stunning
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

187 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Thetford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I attended for a wedding recently and it was an excellent event. The Ceremony was very good The reception was well set out with smart tables and the food was spot on. The waiting staff were smart and efficient, as were the bar staff, with minimal waiting time. Great consideration was given to both the wedding guests and members of the club so that we felt accepted and welcome.
The setting is excellent with some lovely views across the countryside. Really couldn't have asked for a better day. The room we had was a double and was very good value with breakfast included. More than large enough with a large comfortable bed, good facilities and peaceful.
Breakfast was quickly served with a smile and good value. I would certainly recommend this venue for this type of event. All under one roof, relaxing and professionally done.

Room Tip: Double room away from the courtyard was nice and peaceful. Large, well equipped, good facilities. Re...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Was booked into this place through work and thought it would make a change from a travelodge. Wrong. The rooms are very dated, beige bathroom suites and a musty damp smell which only reveals the age of the place and a lack of cleaning. The shower is dangerous as it alternates between freezing and scalding every five seconds.

We didn't eat here so I cannot comment on dinner, but the huge dining room was deserted, which tells it's own story. Breakfast was OK, but we were asked three times for our room numbers by three seperate staff. Do they honestly think that someone would try to sneak in here?!

This place could be very good, as it has a great location overlooking the golf course, but the staff as very laid back, inexperienced and the whole place has not had money spent onit in years.

Room Tip: Don't book through any of the web booking sites, phone the place yourself and you will be able t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Taverham hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is a great place to stay. Rooms are clean and quite roomy.Staff are helpful and friendly and there is a pool and gym.I have stayed a few times now and try to book here whenever I am in Norwich.
The only downside for me is I can't seem to get the same price each time I book and this is frustrating when you are a regular.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Lowestoft
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on the 12th August this month and after reading some of the reviews on here lately were a little apprehensive. Our inlaws booked and paid for our room as we were attending a family wedding and we must say that we enjoyed our stay immensely, from arriving at noon on the Sunday, deciding at the last minute to have Sunday carvery in the hotel instead of going to a nearby restaurant, to breakfast the next morning. Inbetween that we enjoyed the afternoon in the pool with our little one which was lovely and warm with very friendly lifeguards to give us our towels and explain their amenities to the food in the evening at the wedding reception buffet. Throughout our stay all memebers of staff were welcoming and friendly. Our family room although a little dated was very clean, very spacious with crisp white bed linen. Lovely big shower and great water pressure. We must mention the views from this hotel, the hills around it are so beautiful, it is a lovely setting and it is so quiet with as said before lots of golfers even on the course before breakfast but that was a lovley sight. The breakfast was the usual cereals, juices, toast, croissants and full english which was cooked to order and was delicious. Will definately stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
WensumValleyHotelGC, General Manager at Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your stay with us here at Wensum Valley Hotel, it's lovely to hear your positive comments about our food, staff and leisure facilities. We are incredibly lucky to be in such a beautiful setting and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Norfolk.
Boston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The room was clean but the shower had black mould round the base of the door and down one side of the screen.
For the evening meal I ordered a crab, prawn and smoked almon cocktail which was rather nice and well presented, but the lamb shank I received was overcooked and dry.
Service was atrocious both for the evening meal and got even worse for breakfast, I had to wait 15 minutes before a waitress appeared and then I had to call her over to my table. The breakfast of smoked salmon with scrambled eggs was let down by two slices of very soggy toast.
The courtyard needed weeding, some amongst the tables but lots in an otherwise attractive border. The golf courses looked immaculate so I guess that they get all the attention.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your stay with us here at Wensum Valley, I'm sorry to hear you had a bit of a mixed experience with us. We strive to focus equal amounts of attention on both our golf courses and indoor facilities and I'm pleased to say our bathrooms are just one of the areas we are planning to refurbish in the near future.

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with the Restaurant service you received. This is quite unusual for us so I would really appreciate it if you could contact me on Bridgette@wensumvalleyhotel.co.uk and let me know the dates of your stay so I can speak to the staff that were working at the time.

Thanks again for your comments and we do hope to see you again in the future.
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

stayed in family room,very dated toilet cracked and stained,shower dirty,room terrible, furniture dusty,bed uncomfortable had hardly any sleep as too hot and no air conditioning throughout hotel.Pool dated with loose steps to get in and out,sauna,steam room and spa pool out of order.Sofa in room was disgusting covered in old food stains and debris under the cushions.Bar dirty,tables needed cleaning as very sticky.The only good thing about this 2 night break was leaving will not be using again.Carpets stained and for a hotel you would expect a mini fridge in the room,1st hotel we have stayed at without one and have stayed in many hotels as have regular long weekends away all over the country.Must say this has been the worst place ever been too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
WensumValleyHotelGC, General Manager at Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your stay with us at Wensum Valley Hotel. Please allow me to take this opportunity to apologise for the problems with cleanliness you experienced on check in, as soon as this was reported to Reception our housekeeping department were able to rectify the situation and a substantial discount was offered, due to there being no alternative family rooms available.

With regards to our Leisure facilities, I’m sorry that you were unable to use our Sauna, Steam Room and Spa Bath during your stay. Those facilities were closed due to retiling works taking place in the Leisure Centre, part of an ongoing refurbishment programme covering the whole hotel.

Unfortunately we don’t currently offer fridges or air conditioning in any of our bedrooms, but I will discuss your suggestions with the management team. Once again I apologise for not meeting your expectations on this occasion, but we hope to welcome you back in the future to experience our usual high standards.

Kind regards,
Bridgette Hall

Been to Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!