“Terrible pasta and fishy tasting seafood.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 34 restaurants in Gili Air
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Biba Beach Cafe' has won for 5 consecutive years the Certificate of Excellence on Tripadvisor. Biba Beach is a special and relaxing Italian Restaurant in front of the sea. Specialized in pasta and homemade ravioli, gnocchi and lasagna, we also offer fresh grilled fish. Our famous italian dessert, Tiramisu, is also made everyday.
Vancouver, Canada
“Terrible pasta and fishy tasting seafood.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I was with a party of four that chose Biba based on its excellent TripAdvisor reviews.

We made our reservation, arrived promptly and were seated. We enjoyed fabulous anchovy bruschetta and ordered: bolognaise tagliatelle (2), super seafood tagliatelle, and tomato and clam gnocchi. When our entrées arrived, we were supremely disappointed. The pasta was limp and tasteless and 4 of the10 clams in the gnocchi were closed - talk about a health hazard... Serving dead clams! The seafood was not fresh and had a fishy taste. All in all, it was completely terrible. We returned both of the bolognaise dishes; I liken them to Hamburger Helper (possibly, worse). Of all the dishes, the Super Seafood Tagliatelle was the best. I suspect the poor food was related to the fact that a group of 16 was seated soon after us, and the staff's effort was focused on this last group. Perhaps the quality of the food is directly influenced by flow in the kitchen?

We notified the owner of our dissatisfaction, and he became defensive and rude. We were willing to pay for all the food (we did not eat any of the 2 bolognaise dishes), but it was appreciated that the fee for these entrees was waived from the bill. I do not want to come off as an ignorant North American, but I've been to Italy, and I make my own pasta out of semolina flour, so I have a good idea of what pasta should taste like. It is unfortunate that I have had to write such a poor review, but we had a terrible experience at this establishment. I was deeply disappointed and hope we had a one-off experience. Please note from my profile that I do not typically write such harsh reviews, but this experience was negative and uncomfortable. I selected Biba as my party's dining establishment for the evening, and was profoundly embarrassed by what transpired today. I am unable to recommend Bibs to future diners.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Zurich, Switzerland
“Decent italian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Very kind owners and fresh italian pasta. Pizza was not available when we eat there :-( But i guess it was sold out which means they prepare fresh wood oven pizzas!!

Visited October 2013
Denmark
“Quality Italian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Went here one night and had an excellent Salmone Ravioli. It was very creamy which I like. Home cooked by Sabrina who is also the owner.
The rest of our group had some Pasta Bolognese which were OK.
The Bruschetta Speziale is also delicious.
The Co-owner (Claudio?) seems a little stressed out maybe. Maybe he should hire a couple of guys and just takre care of payments.
The ambience here is a bit quieter. Reservations are needed and it is often full.
Its about 25% more expensive than the other places here, but they do use good ingredients.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saskatoon, Canada
“Excellent service. Good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Very nice restaurant. The owner runs a tight ship! Need to make a reservation to eat here. Great service and very good food. Food was a little salty for my taste but I wish I went back to try something different.

Visited September 2013
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Sabrina is the chef (as well as the co-owner) and is a terrific cook. I could live on her insalata and bruschetta. Her pizza is terrific, too. In fact, I have eaten there many times, and haven't had a bad meal, not to mention that I am sitting on the edge of heaven while I am eating there!

• Visited March 2013