“Great place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Gili Air
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

Nice great place, great for diving. the pool is often used for dive teaching and is small with salt water.
no fresh water in the shower, but you get used to it.
We have traveled many places both with backpack and charter, and this place is one of the best we have ever been.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Indonesian first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

If you're looking for fun, laid-back atmosphere and amazing diving, look no further! Ask for Pia to be your dive master or instructor. She's the best!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

Kathy and I spent 8 days on this island paradise. We easily arrived, thanks to Jon and Alex's assistance to arrange a driver from Mataram with a private boat. Things then just got better. Muna and Tony welcomed us and made sure we were on the next morning's dive trip. After a good night's sleep in the cozy bungalow well described by others; we had a delicious breakfast with famous Lombok coffee. Then the happy, professional and hard working crew made sure we were taken care of on every dive with full tanks and top quality Scubapro gear; expertly led in small groups by local divemasters, Opick and Jackie (in our case). We saw reef sharks, herds of giant (100 kilo) bumphead parrotfish nibbling on coral, turtles galore, stingrays, starfish, octopus, cuttlefish and squid, lionfish, scorpionfish, pygmy seahorses, nudibranches, eels, lush and healthy coral and much more in 15 to 30 meter visibility. Two dives a day are the norm; all within 30 minutes from the beach right outside Manta Dive Resort. The snorkeling was also great with was temps approaching 30 deg C.

But the experience was so much more than just great diving and snorkeling. The camraderie of the entire staff; a delightful blend of foreign and locals was contagiously extended to the guests (who were also an eclectic and interesting bunch), with lots of fun sharing experiences above and below water as we completed our dive logs with the divemasters helping us identify what we saw in the provided reference books . A host of restaurants are just a brief stroll away offering inexpensive cuisine to suit every taste. We found the local Sesak food and fresh fish especially satisfying.

Leaving was the hardest part of our vacation and we plan to return soon to our new family. Stay at Manta Dive and savor a simple, peaceful life with people you will never forget. Francis dance

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

We stayed in Manta Dive for 10 days in December and would highly recommend staying here. Fantastic value for money and owners John and Alex were so helpful and friendly. Lovely rooms in a great setting with excellent pool. If you're into diving then this is the place to do it! Highly professional nd welcoming team, we didnt want to leave. Thank you all and keep up the good work! Sam and Polly

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

This accommodation has a great location and amazing snorkeling right out in front. The diving was a little overrated in my opinion. The island is super chilled and the beach is a lovely spot to relax.
There are some great restaurants on the beach that cook great local produce.
The accommodation was great and some of the tidiest on the island. You definitely get what you pay for. The dive instructors and staff were friendly and very cheerful.
We would recommend manta-dive to many friends.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

I stayed at Manta on Gili Air for six days in October and absolutely hated to leave both the island and the resort. I truly believe that if you're coming to Gili Air, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not staying at Manta. EVERYTHING about Manta is fantastic. The owners, Jonathan and Alex were quick to respond to my emails and myriad of questions. Although they were away on vacation when I arrived at Manta, all of my last minute freakout emails were handled by Deborah (a friendly dive instructor), who finalized every last minute detail with ease.

When I arrived at Manta, I was greeted by Muna who works in the office and is one of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. The staff showed me to my room and helped me to get settled. The room is spacious, clean and well maintained. The outside bathrooms are beautiful with lots of hot water. Yes, it's true that the showers are salt water only, but who cares...you're on a tropical island!! Also, the breakfasts at Manta and the cafe lattes are AMAZING!

Having never been diving before, I had debated whether or not I would give it a try during my stay at Manta. In fact, just before I arrived at Manta, I had made my decision not to dive...well, at least until I met Pia, an incredibly friendly and enthusiastic dive instructor with the patience of a saint. She approached me within the first half hour of my stay at Manta and answered all of the dive questions I had. There was literally no sales pitch by Pia (or anyone else at Manta), they ultimately just want you to enjoy your stay. However, I challenge ANYONE to talk to Pia (or the other dive instructors for that matter) and not dive. Pia's enthusiasm and passion for diving was so infectious that I couldn't imagine not trying it. Diving proved to be the highlight of my trip to Bali and the Gilis. Pia was a fantastic dive instructor who was incredibly professional and made sure that everything was done slowly to ensure maximum safety with our beginner group. The environment she created was relaxed and made learning incredibly comfortable. I'd highly recommend asking for her if you're thinking about taking a class. That being said, the other two instructors I met, Deborah and Tony, were also fantastic people. I spoke with other people who had them as instructors and they also raved about their experiences. Perhaps Manta just hires the best?!?! Really though, the three instructors and the dive masters were all fantastic and knew so much about the dive sites and local area.

The really cool thing about Manta is that there seems to be no differentiating between the local staff and the "foreign" staff. Everyone got along so well. This is a marked contrast from other places I stayed in which the local and foreign staff seemed to be so distant from one another. The fact that the staff seemed to be relaxed and enjoying their work, made you feel as though you had stepped into a family.

I really cannot say enough great things about Manta. Whether you are diving or not, this is a fantastic place to stay. If you don't end up staying here, then at least swing by for a dive with the talented group of instructors and dive masters. The atmosphere is relaxing and everyone is very professional. I cannot thank them enough for a fantastic trip. I look forward to returning. Do yourself a favor and stay here....you deserve it :)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Manta Dive Gili Air for five days to relax, get away from the crowded centres in Bali and do some fantastic diving. The Sasak bungalows at Manta Dive are lovely - very clean and comfortable with air conditioning and beautifully presented with flowers on the bed when you arrive. The outdoor bathroom is great too and a feature of the room, however you need to be aware that there is no fresh water for showering - only salt water. We had no problems with there only being salt water and you can still have a hot shower and feel clean. Bottled water is provided daily for brushing your teeth and drinking in the room. The breakfast provided was good and we had a choice of options to choose from; pancake and fruit, cereal and fruit and toast and jams with cut fruit.
If you're wanting to dive while you stay on the Island Manta Dive Centre was great. The dive instructors were friendly and helpful and you could tell they all enjoyed working there. The diving was awesome around Gili Air too - great dive sites with heaps to see, including lots of turtles. Great for macro lovers as well. Jon and Alex who run the place were very helpful and even assisted in arranging our boat transfers to and from Bali.
We're looking forward to going back to Manta Dive Gili Air again but just for longer next time - 5 days was too short for such a great place!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Manta Dive Gili Air Resort? Share your experiences!