“HONESTY” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Gili Air
Leeds, United Kingdom
“HONESTY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Had a wonderful pleasant stay here , rooms were clean and all other amenities were good, however this is not my reason for this review.
After our departure from the hotel , my partner had realised , she had perhaps left a £2000 ring and watch in the room ,as she couldn't find them at our next resort.
We managed to find their sister hotel on at the next resort and asked them to check the room we had vacated. After checking , we discovered we had left them behind and to our amazement , returned them to us by speedboat to the next island where we were staying, what fantastic customer service !!!! , Thank you all on both gili air and gili T, for such honesty , we will recommend to anyone

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

We stayed here in July and decided to do our Open Water Certiificate as a family at the same time and had a great experience. It is quite a lively side of the island but service was never compromised and our divemaster Rob was patient and courteous and good fun. Just stand around for about 2 minutes at the front of the dive resort and someone will ask if they can help you - you will never feel lost. We actually stayed in the Waterfront rooms which have a/c and freshwater showers. They are clean and well maintained. Breafasts were right by the water and pretty good. Don't expect lots of marble and big hotel facilities at Gili Air. Its got more of a hipster/student feel, which is what makes it so much nicer than Bali...

Room Tip: Rooms in Warterfront do not actually look out on the water but are 50 metres from it and have a/c an...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Our family of 6 stayed at Manta Gili Air in the first week of August 2014. I could not rate the week highly enough. We stayed in 2 Waterfront Deluxe bungalows and one Garden Room. The standard of accommodation was superb - simple furnishings but spacious rooms, big comfy beds, beautiful outside bathrooms and immaculate cleanliness. The garden rooms don't have freshwater showers so we had some of the kids coming to use the showers in the bungalows but otherwise that room too was great. The breakfasts were delicious and the fresh fruit juices especially divine. Our older kids (22, 20 and 17) seemed to eat constantly in between the dives and never tired of the mie goreng, nasi goreng, gado gado and spring rolls. The bar was spot on too and we had lovely cocktails and cold beers! The main reason for our visit was to dive and we could not fault it. The location is perfect and the reef spectacular. 4 of us did the Open Water and Advanced Divers course with Rob Ladd, one son did his Rescue Divers course with Al and two of the older boys did their Deep Diving certificate with Anna. All the diving instructors were incredibly friendly, patient and helpful and inspired total trust. I was the one member of the family perhaps not quite so keen to dive but felt totally confident with Rob's encouragement and positivity. He was a superb instructor passing on his love for diving and his knowledge of reef life with real passion. Gili Air was a beautiful, unspoilt island with a lovely native community - the absence of vehicles makes it quiet, relaxed and safe. We ate on the beach in the evenings whatever was the catch of the day. I think we're quite tempted to become the ageing hippy couple hanging out with the youngsters!! We loved it….. maybe its not too late to become diving instructors and live the dream too?! A huge thank you to all at Manta Dive for the wonderful experience and especially to Rob for inspiring us all. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the diving school and the accommodation. Enjoy!

Room Tip: There is free wifi in the bar area and to be honest why would you even want it in your room - you...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

I have just returned from a long holiday on the Gili Islands...I learned to dive and was awarded my open water licence after training with Manta Dive on Gili Air....Al was my instructor and he is very good, careing and professional....i felt safe and enjoyed every dive we made. Robbie is awesome too he runs the place and there is a great atmosphere in training and at the bar resteraunt next door....dont miss the quiz held once a week. Thank you Al and Robbie and the team at Manta Dive Gili Air...i'll be back as soon as i can make it....:-)

Room Tip: Ask before you book
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This is the third time we have dove with Manta but the first we have stayed with them.
All emails were answered quickly and thoroughly. Transfer was arranged through Manta and we were picked up on Lombok and ferried by car and boat to Gili Air (an hour and a half from the Sheraton). Staff met us at the boat and handled all our bags. We were quickly shown our room: a small hut with porch and racks to hang wet things. The room is quite private with its own path. Nights were quiet.

There is an outdoor washroom down a few steps with toilet, shower, sink, counter and plenty of hooks. The water pressure is satisfactory and there was plenty of hot water. Liquid soap is by the sink but I recommend bringing your own as well as shampoo and washcloth. Towels, both indoor and outdoor, are provided. The door to the bathroom kept swinging open letting out the cool air from the room so we had to ‘lock’ each other out to keep it closed. It needs a little catch. There are hooks both in and out to hang things. The sun dries suits quickly. We moved the drying rack out onto the path to get maximum sun.

The bed is larger than a queen but seemed a little smaller than a king (it is surrounded by a wide wooden frame). Mattress is very firm with a sheet and two pillows each. We asked for and received blankets. There are plenty of cubbies and storage with some hangers and an umbrella. Lighting might be a little low for some. The A/C works well. Safe and large water are provided. Water can be refilled for 3,000 IDR around the island. WIFI is included but is inconsistent.

Breakfast is off the menu. It doesn’t seem like a lot at first but the portions were quite sufficient. My partner ate the muesli and it was a huge portion. We ate quite a few meals at the restaurant and for the most part, everything was great. I really like the chicken schnitzel wrap and the potato wedges. Guests get a 10% discount for eating at the restaurant.

Diving was super (see review). We brought our own gear and received a discount. You clean your own gear at the end of each day and are responsible for bringing back your own BCD’s.
Staff are excellent and constantly check in to see how you are doing. They really want to make sure you enjoy your stay. I know it has been said previously but it isn’t long until you feel you’re a part of a community. We will return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

This was our fourth visit to Manta and we were delighted to see that the place is still improving: the addition of a couple of comfortable bungalows (the Waterfront) next door is extremely convenient and makes for a wonderful stay above the waterline. However, what really makes Manta so special is how they approach diving: professional but very relaxed at the same time. Staff are extremely friendly and visibly enjoy the diving themselves. My eldest daughter completed her Rescue course (as did my wife) after having obtained her OW and AOW during previous holidays; she cannot wait to go back for a Divemaster course next year. Highly, highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I took my open water dive course at manta dive with Roxy and Nick. The first day I did the intro with Roxy because I felt a little nervous and I wasn't sure if I wanted to take the full 3 day course. Manta Dive was super accommodating and understanding and didn't pressure me at all. After learning from Roxy and going on one dive, I was super excited to keep going with diving and I signed up for the open water dive course. Roxy is an excellent teacher and I felt very safe learning from her for my first dive ever!
Nick Manning was my instructor for the open water course and his enthusiasm, knowledge, and teaching helped me to become a confident diver. My group and I had lots of laughs and good times with Nick, while learning the skills we needed to be safe and effective divers. We saw lots of turtles, sharks, clown fish, and a sting ray. Nick was excellent at pointing things out to us, while being respectful of the marine life.
My husband took the advanced course with Sam and really enjoyed his training. Sam is a truly passionate diver and has a thorough knowledge of different types of diving and the marine life. Ask him any question about how something works with diving or the marine life, and he will be sure to answer with the enthusiasm of someone who clearly loves what he does.
Thank you Manta Dive and I highly recommend this dive company for anyone travelling to Gili Air!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Manta Dive Gili Air Resort? Share your experiences!