“Great week on Gili Air” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Gili Air
Basel, Switzerland
“Great week on Gili Air”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We spent a great week on Gilir air at Manta Dive resort. Wonderful location and very friendly staff. As my boyfriend was diving, they kindly propose to take me on board such that I could discover new places to snorkel. Just in front of the snorkel spot. Many fishes and nice coral. Turtles in early morning. Rooms are clean and big.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Indonesian first
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Before check in we had contact with Stephie, she gave me good information about the accommodation and later on about the diving possibilties too.
When we arrived we were offered a drink immediately as it was so hot. We walked from the the harbour to the resort. Just 10 minutes from the harbour. All little restaurants, shops, tourist information is all near the resort.
Once in the room we were very happy with our choice. Clean, tidy and a nice bathroom, with an outdoor shower. The airco in the room was very pleasant at that time. After one day we approached some of the dive instructors as I wanted to do a refresher course. Sybren, also dutch, and Rob pointed out that I could start with it at any time and they asked my friend, if she wanted to dive too. And they gave her some advice and information on it. This turned out in two courses one open water and for me advanced adventurer. I would like to thank all of them, but especially, Rob and Rob! For all the information and you made diving for me so much more interesting and fun. I did not want to leave here, but continue diving every day.Unfortunately to everything comes an end, and we had to leave. But I hope to come back soon!

Best regards to all of you!
Pauline

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at Manta Dive as had read great reviews about the rooms and service-all true. However, we never had any intention of diving, as I start to hyperventilate with a snorkel mask on when I'm on dry land! Anyway, thought we would give it a try and attempt an open water dive course, as predicted, I panicked. However the dive instructors Rob and Lizzie wouldn't let me give up and were AMAZING! Poor Lizzie had to hold my hand for an entire 45 minute dive! Anyway, after 3 days both my husband and I got our open water certificate and went on 3 more fun dives, seeing tons of turtles. Diving was by far the most memorable experience of our honeymoon, and it was 100% due to the instructors for dealing so well with my panic! I really couldn't recommend the Manta Dive Team highly enough. Thank you so much Rob and Lizzie!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I've had the worst experience in this no.1 resort in Trip Advisor. Firstly, we booked an afternoon dive and they promised us that we are able to dive. When we reached the resort, the boat left us already.

Secondly, the room was very smelly..especially the toilet. Next, since we missed our dive, we informed them that we will dive the next day instead and they said they will arrange it for us The next day, all the groups in the morning were full and i had to join the noon dive.

As we were only diving at noon, i decided to take a nap. In the middle of my nap around 10:30am, they went to my room and woke me up. They said that the ones who will be using the room are already here and they needed me to get out of the room now. I was like, "What the hell?!" They said they're check out time is really at 10:30am. And yes, they kicked me out of the room.

We came back to our room to get something after lunch and they haven't even cleaned it! How rude can they be?

When we were checking out, they charged us the full price without even deducting the deposit i made. If i didn't remind them, they will not deduct it. And the Australian girl who was in the computer was acting like she doesn't know anything where in fact, she was the one who had all the records. They also promised us a 10% discount with our hotel room if we book our diving trip with them. But then, they did not accord the discount which i only remembered when we left the island.

It was terrible! That's all i can think of when i hear the word, "manta dive".

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bob99962, Manager at Manta Dive Gili Air Resort, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
We always appreciate feedback regarding your stay with us so that we can continually improve our services. I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed diving with us even though we went out of our way to accommodate your special needs.

Think of the dive center as an airport and the dive your ticket to fly. You booked a “flight” with us on the 2pm dive but arrived at 330pm – over two hours late for our regularly scheduled departure. This time was clearly explained to you in our email correspondence. When you arrived that afternoon we explained that it was also unfortunately it was a religious holiday, which meant that we were unable to launch a trip later that day the boat staff were leaving early to celebrate with family. This I can only say is a bit of bad luck as on any other day we could have launched a special, extra launch for you, but as you only planned a two day dive trip and over a holiday, this was not possible.

The next day we offered a 9 am departure which I urged you to sign up for that afternoon, you refused. Several dive team members attempted to sign you and your partner up for dives that evening. We were slightly surprised when you showed up at 8 am, ready to go diving having not booked the previous night. We were able to accommodate you last minute, with your partner joining an Advanced (30m) dive group and you with an Open Water (18m). We pride ourselves on great customer service especially concerning dives and never allow more than 4 divers per staff member. Your group had 3 divers plus you, with an Instructor and Dive Master (2:1 an amazing ratio at any dive shop). This was not an acceptable ratio for you, as a novice diver with only a few dives, so you refused to go diving even though your partner went.
If you are uncomfortable diving with other divers of a similar level to yourself, it is possible for us to accommodate you, but we need advance notice. This is exactly why we encourage booking ahead to secure the schedule that most suits you, which would have mediated this entire problem. To resolve the situation, as you were leaving at 2 pm that day, we opened up an unscheduled Noon dive so that the two of you could have a private dive with a Divemaster at no extra cost. Booking alone does not get you on the “plane”. You need to show up at your scheduled departure and make sure to confirm your booking in advance.

In an entirely different matter, check out is at 10:30 am unless a late check-out is requested. We clearly explained this in emails and during check it, as well as it is posted in the rooms and main office. The girl who “peered” into your room had mistakenly assumed it had been vacated as it was well past checkout and no late checkout had been requested. We had customers waiting at 11:45 am when you finally checked out of your still unclean room, 15 minutes late for the noon dive’s meeting time as well.

Regarding the mistake on your bill, we apologize for the mistake, but it is your duty to double check that the correct total has been summed. We recommend organizing payment the evening before departure to prevent such mistakes and allow time for their correction, you rushed through checked out at 1:55 pm as the shuttle boat was waiting for you and were already off the island when you had time to review the bill.

Again, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, but communication is the key. We try to anticipate and provide for your needs as our customer to the best of our abilities, but we are also scheduling for people beyond yourself, you must remember. This is why we have set times and departures, which we emailed you in advance of arrival to minimize confusion. Like any airport, we run on a schedule, in this fast moving world this allows us to maximize our vacations – but if you miss your originally scheduled flight, you must be flexible and adapt your trip plan.
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I will be a liar if I say,this place is not bad. This place was a rip off. I won't say the beach and the sea was nice, and the snorkeling part, its not a part of their properties.

I book their garden room which is No TV, no fridge, no phone between rooms and aircon that feels like a fan. I'm fine with it, but no wi fi that's something they told me they have it in every room. The room totally different than the pictures. Its the new property that they're showing.

The water were 100%sea water. They probably only filter the sand.
The room electricity died in every 20mins. some of the rooms died, some aren't.

One of the disgusting part is they didn't change the sheets from the previous guests, curly hair, sands are all inside the blanket. You seriously think, by not changing the linen will support the eco tourism? You sounds just so stingy and making an excuse for that. No blanket, mind that, just a ply of another sheets on it.

I even purposely throw the sheets reading from some reviews, if you don't throw it on the floor they won't change it, then I went back from snorkeling, and I watch the lady housekeeping throwing my clothes on the floor like its a trash, and put back the bed sheets on the floor! She don't even feel remorse when I ask, why you throw my clothes on the floor? She only said "OH"

I know I shouldn't expect much for 50usd, but for a no1 in TA? After my first night, I asked to change theroom to their newer properties since I have made my deposit, they do have fresh water for shower, fresh aircon, tv and fridge that's not cool but ok.

The new room was ok. And I know I won't stay any longer if I stay in the same old room, showering with pure salt water, with your hair and skin sticky all day.

I was suntaning in their new property and feel someone is watching me till I woke up and look back when I see a PEEPING TOM behind the bamboo from manta dive area, which is their staff but not those who handling the guests, he probably the boat guy or the dive team.

3 female local hotel staff black tshirt with manta dive white logo, swimming in the waterfront pool, joking around, shouting, and SPIT!! They played and keep on spitting on the pool and throw their mucus on the pool. And now I know why none bother to swim around the area. They don't filter their water, they just put chlorine on it not once a day.

The night when I just back from my dinner, there is this 5 guys of local man, some of them with manta dive t-shirt, smoking, talking and laughing, laying on the sunbed playing music with their mobile along the waterfront pool. I thought what makes the room much more expensive is the privacy, the pool that's exclusive for the 4new room. I wasn't told I can swim in this area when I stayed at the old garden area. But this thing happen the next night and the next night. No idea where is this guys came from, they just hang around the pool and chit chatting, and they arenot guests.

I never have the problem that none of the hotel staff saying hi or care to you, when I decide not to dive. I prefer not to be bothered. But I always prefer, between the hotel staff and guests there is this boundaries that they can't cross, which is I am the customer, not I'm paying extra money for them to use the facilities. The rates that's more expensive by 60%, its not by 50k indonesian rupiah only.

May be the management didn't know what to do. Or may be they don't even have any.

• Stayed October 2012
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed with Manta Dive for a total of 5 nights. When we first arrived on Gili Air we were greeted by 2 horse drawn carts. These we didn't even ask for, but the man was from Manta Dive and he asked for us by name so we thought, why not? The ride was quirky but you can easily walk to Manta Dive from the ferry area (about 20 minute walk). If you have a rolling suitcase, you won't be able to walk easily as the roads all around the Gilis are of sand.

We originally wanted one of the bungalows (Sasak style) but we didn't book far enough ahead of time so we got one of their modern rooms at the back of the property. They are quite spacious and the aircon is fairly good. Our room had an in-room safe too which was nice. The bathroom is outside of the aircon and the shower being outside. I read that another review recently about Manta Dive and they said they had fresh water showers, our room had salt water (not as salty as the ocean mind you) nor did our mums' (who had the room next to ours) room either. They too had salt water showers.

Wifi is slow and is best at the front area of the property (next to reception/dive shop). Though, they do give you access to the next door Wifi but I never did try it out. Internet on the island is mediocre, so don't expect much in the way of speeds while you're there. Besides, you should be enjoying the sun, snorkelling and diving ;)

We ate a few times at the Waterfront Restaurant. The food was good and the staff friendly. You could also order the food to be taken back to your room if you were so inclined.

My wife and I did the SSI Intro Dive course with Nick. Nick was awesome and made the experience a whole lot of fun. We started off at the pool located at Manta Dive and then in the afternoon went over to do our first dive at Hann's Reef. If we didnt have other hobbies we would have probably done the Open Water Cert with Nick too, but the Intro Dive was enough for us at the time.

You can snorkel off the beach at the front of Manta Dive, though do so ONLY at high-tide. Low tide you can not only harm the coral, but you can also harm yourself. There are 2 clinics on Gili Air, but no hospital. A teenager from a family who arrived after a few days of us being there was cut up pretty bad because they didn't heed Manta Dive's advice not to snorkel at low tide. He cut his hand up pretty good and had to be ferried over to Lombok to receive stitches. Poor guy couldn't enjoy the rest of their stay because of it.

You will also notice that in the afternoon a lot of boats from the other Gili islands will anchor out in the water in front of Manta Dive. Gili Air has some of the best snorkelling in the area.

We would definitely go back to Manta Dive if we found ourselves on Gili Air. If you find yourself at Manta Dive, try to do at least the Intro Diving course. It's a great experience, especially if you have an Instructor such as Nick!

Room Tip: Book with more than 6 months in advance if you want a Bungalow (Sasak) style room.