“Popular, great location but overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

You added Sunrise Resort to your Saves list
Sunrise Resort
Desa Gili Indah, Pamenang, West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia   |
Truro, United Kingdom
“Popular, great location but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I ended up staying at Sunrise only due to my original hotel being double booked by Agoda meaning I needed to spend my last night here. Due to the great reviews on Tripadvisor I didn't think this would be a problem at all and without even checking out the resort or rooms, I agreed.

When it came to check in, I was shown to my room, which supposedly was the equivalent of the room I had stayed in at my previous hotel and was utterly shocked by how little $40 gets you here! The room looked OK from the outside, but when I got inside it was unbearably hot and the windows did not shut properly. I'm not even going to talk about the bathroom. I walked straight over to reception and complained that I did not want to stay in that room.

I ended up staying in one of the newer $60 rooms at the back of the resort. Although not great, it was a big improvement. I know Gili Air is popular, but I just cannot see how they can charge such crazy prices. Only guess is that some people, not on a backpackers budget, must be paying them.

The location is the biggest draw to Sunrise, it is literally right on the beach and in the thick of the area with the restaurants, bars, dive schools etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

The hotel has the perfect location just in front of the nicest area of the beach where the water is turquoise blue and the snorkeling awesome. The bungalows we had was a big lovely wooden 2 storeys with big lounge / dining area and bathroom at the bottom and a balcony and a room at the top. Very charming rooms.
Restaurant is good right on the beach with perfect sea view. The staff is nice and welcoming.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SEA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Nice cute little bungalows centred in a fairly well maintained tropical garden. It's a short 30sec stroll to the beach. Decent snorkelling out the front but its still really dead most of the coral. U have to go on a trip to find the good stuff. Staff were amazingly friendly and always kept the room very clean.

The room was a little damp and musky but that's not there fault it's due to the weather conditions. The pillow was rock hard so I hope they have changed them by now! I liked the 2 floors to the bungalow was defiantly and original layout in terms of other I've stayed at. I think it was fairly exspensive for the price and you can get a lot better value if you looked around I'm sure!

Also make sure u book the return boat tickets by yourself as they will be a lot cheaper if you go to the jetti in the morning. That's only if you are going to Lombok.

Make sure you check the bar directly opposite the guy is awesome and has the cheapest and strongest mushroom shakes on the island, spent many nights chilling in the bar tripping and drinking. Such a cool place to chill until the early hours.

I'd recommend this place for a shirt stay its worth it!

Room Tip: Grab a 2 story Bugalow if you can out the back. Do best value for money.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

-Right next to the beach,best snokelling area,also good for swim
-10Mins walk for the ferry pier(with suitcase),(without suitcase,5mins)
-All the staffs are very friendly and smile all the time
-Book from booking.com,reasonable price,us30 per night
-Room without a/c,actually is good enough.A bit hot on the day time.
-Salty water and didn't have hot shower.it's ok,i think only few hotels can provide fresh water in gili air
-No lock for the room door
-Nice bar and restaurant
-Nice garden view and balcony
-Nice welcome drink

• Stayed October 2012
Gävle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had a very pleasant stay with my girlfriend! Everything is ofcourse you-get-what-you-pay-for, but the second floor with mosquitonet bed is wonderful in its woody charm! Superb breakfast and the best beach right outside the hotel. The toilet is a little scary, and we found some bugs in the first floor bed, but all and all we were very happy with our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had a nice 4 night stay here. I love our 2 storey lumbung style house with sleeping beds (2x doubles) up the ladder and through the hatch. There was also 2 single daybeds downstairs. All have mossie nets. AC worked fine (upstairs only). The bathroom was big but my husband found it got too hot and stuffy at times as the roof was plastic. Would not be suitable if you couldn't climb down the ladder to get to the loo at night ie toddlers/disablility.

Really super staff, great with kids. Good room cleaning and lovely touches like flower decorations on the bed. Breakfast looks over the beach which is nice, simple but adequate. A plus here are the lovely gardens full of butterflies. We paid 450 a night which I think was good value.

Location wise you are perfectly placed for beach and restaurants- 1-2 minutes walk.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We were told we would have hot, fresh water, and wifi. We were not given these things at all. They would not have mattered. We can deal with cold water showers and we can go a few days without internet. Still, we don't like being lied to, and we were lied to by at least one member of the staff here.
That said, the rooms are nice enough, though not the best value on Gili Air. We were comfortable, at least physically, until we checked out the first morning of our stay and found a place run by much nicer people.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunrise Resort? Share your experiences!