I ended up staying at Sunrise only due to my original hotel being double booked by Agoda meaning I needed to spend my last night here. Due to the great reviews on Tripadvisor I didn't think this would be a problem at all and without even checking out the resort or rooms, I agreed.
When it came to check in, I was shown to my room, which supposedly was the equivalent of the room I had stayed in at my previous hotel and was utterly shocked by how little $40 gets you here! The room looked OK from the outside, but when I got inside it was unbearably hot and the windows did not shut properly. I'm not even going to talk about the bathroom. I walked straight over to reception and complained that I did not want to stay in that room.
I ended up staying in one of the newer $60 rooms at the back of the resort. Although not great, it was a big improvement. I know Gili Air is popular, but I just cannot see how they can charge such crazy prices. Only guess is that some people, not on a backpackers budget, must be paying them.
The location is the biggest draw to Sunrise, it is literally right on the beach and in the thick of the area with the restaurants, bars, dive schools etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gili Air is a pristine jewel set in the Bali Sea, situated in one of the most picturesque locations on Earth. To the East, the majestic crater rim of Lombok’s Mount Rinjani, provides a picturesque backdrop to a stunning sunrise. To the West, the sun sinks behind the perfect cone of Bali’s Mt Agung as it releases all the colours of the rainbow. Sunrise Resort is situated in Gili Air’s top location - fine, white coral sand gives way to breathtaking snorkeling directly off-shore, accessible at both high and low tides (unique on Gili Air). Within 50 metres, lies a reef teaming with colourful fish and turtles in crystal clear water. Perfect for swimming, snorkelling or diving and always at idyllic temperatures (25-32°C). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Sunrise Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunrise Cottages And Restaurant
- Sunrise Cottages & Restaurant Hotel Gili Air
- Sunrise Resort Gili Air, Gili Islands