As an experienced traveler I would rate this hotel 'average' for SE Asia but 'very good' for Gili T - here's why. DDB has a lot going for it. The location at the far end of the island lends itself to peaceful, romantic days lounging in the sun and quiet nights. The bungalows are generously spaced for privacy and the property in general has many well designed features like the salt water pool and beach front gazebos. The ocean views from the enormous bed in room 9 were really special. It has all the appearances of a lovely, unique hotel especially in comparison to the other available options on Gili T. However, DDB lacked the attention to detail and service that would make it a truly memorable experience.
Here are some examples of where DDB could have done better. I should preface this by saying I speak a bit of Bahasa Indonesian after living in Jakarta nearly 2 years so I am quite sure these were not communication issues. When we arrived and were escorted to our room we noticed the bed was completely full of ants. We pointed this out to the staff person with us and he attempted to sweep them off with his hands, when this proved futile he quickly left in shame without offering to change the sheets or get a proper bed broom and get rid of them. Additionally, each time we ordered room service (day or night) no one would come to pick up the dishes until the next day when we piled everything together and asked the person dropping the next items to please take them away. Also no one ever wiped the table and chairs where we ate, contributing to the insect problems. In fact, one morning the person bringing us coffee and milk dropped the milk jug on our porch and never came to clean it up! The milk just dried in the sun onto the wood. I have several other examples but I think the point is made. I understand from staff that the owners live in Java and only make trips to the hotel when there is a major renovation or repair. My humble opinion is that if this is true, perhaps they should frequent their hotel a bit more to work with their staff on improving service and cleanliness. It is important to add the staff are very kind and do whatever you ask, but one should not have to ask them basic things, that requires proper training.
Perhaps the room price $180/night is warranted because it is an island and difficult and expensive to transport goods. Although I have stayed in more remote places in Thailand,Indonesia and Vietnam that cost less and delivered more in terms of experience. Regardless of the price and quality of service, DDB has cornered the market on GiliT for its location (ideal for sunsets) and unique, well spaced rooms with an ocean view.
In sum, as is, DDB could be a good place to stay on GiliT depending on what you are looking for and what you expect for your holidays. However, it is a shame because with a little love and attention this place could be absolutely spectacular.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The most quiet resort on Gili Trawangan.We are on the north part of the island and we have the longest private beach (170 mtr). You will enjoy it having a romantic time on our deck facing the indian ocean.With only twelve villa on our fifteen square meter property your privacy will be respected at any time.#################Honeymoon Package#################3 Nights/ 4 Days Package:=========================USD 885 nett (including airport transfer)USD 895 nett (including fast boat transfer)Inclusive:==========3 Nights accommodation at Javanese JOGLO Villa.Daily breakfast for two persons.Welcome drink and fruit on arrival.Return transfer from Lombok International airport or return fast boat transfer from Bali..3x Romantic dinner for 2 persons.2x Lunch for 2 persons.1x around the island trip by Cidomo(horse cart).1x snorkeling trip by private glass bottom boat including lunch box.2 Nights/ 3 Days Package:=========================USD 685 nett (including airport transfer)USD 695 nett (including fast boat transfer)Inclusive:========== 2 Nights accommodation at Javanese JOGLO Villa.Daily breakfast for two persons.Welcome drink and fruit on arrival.Return transfer from Lombok International Airport or return fast boat transfer from Bali.2x Romantic dinner for 2 persons.1x Lunch for 2 persons.1x around the island trip by Cidomo (horse cart).1x snorkeling trip by private glass bottom boat including lunch box.*High season surcharge of USD 60 is applicable from 15 July to 15 September and 20 December to 15 January. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Desa Dunia Beda Beach Resort (Gili Trawangan - Lombok) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Desa Dunia Beda (Gili Trawangan - Lombok) Hotel Gili Trawangan
- Desa Dunia Beda Lombok
- Desa Dunia Beda Beach Resort (Gili Trawangan - Lombok) Gili Islands