“An OK stay but not really worth of what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vila Ombak

Save Saved
You added Hotel Vila Ombak to your Saves list
Hotel Vila Ombak
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gili Trawangan Island [Desa Gili Indah] | Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara, West Nusa Tenggara 83000, Indonesia   |
Special Offer
DIVE
Ranked #13 of 19 hotels in Gili Trawangan
Taipei, Taiwan
“An OK stay but not really worth of what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for several days skipping Bali. I booked the hotel through a website and I must say the resort is nicely located on a not so busy part of the Trawangan island. The rooms were ok, nothing fancy although for the price we paid, we could fit easily into one of the 5* resorts around Bali. We ended up getting a twin bed, one single and one double and was told that the room on the "category" we booked were all like that..Hmmm then bottom of toilet had somehow a water leakage. Towels in brown color are somehow faded, and also an open air shower isnt my favorite since it attracts insects at night when the light is on and ive seen one cockroach going around the sink so i ended covering our shavers and tootbrush with glasses just to be safe were not gonna end up using them after the cockroach crawl all over it during the night. There is also a funky smell from the shower drainage, and i guess this is an engineering fault. Water is salty although they have an optional fresh water you can use when you rinse yourself off after showering. The Roamah Spa is a bit of a joke, its more like a "massage place" rather than being called a spa. No spa experience and also the therapist has no sense of spa connection, it was horrible experience and the spa was noisy. We thought it was a good spa since they had been nominated for the World Luxury Spa Awards 2014?? ugh!!! Not worth of the 35 USD theyre charging for an aromatherapy massage.Overall this place is ok if youre not fussy and if you want to be in the good area of Gili Trawangan close to the beach. The good thing about this place is its connected with the Pearl of Trawangan Beach Lounge which I think a cool place to hang out and chill out...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

661 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My sister and I stayed at this hotel that we had booked online. We were very disappointed. Although a great location, the rooms were terrible, we had to switch 3 times. Although the service was nice and the concierge was very nice as well, the hotel was extremely overpriced. There is no wifi in the room, the grounds are massive and it is a bit sketchy to stay so far away from the front. The rooms are very old and dirty. The doors barely closed and there were cracks. The bathroom was gross, open windows, full of red ants and bugs. Breakfast was good and there are nice beach chairs across from the hotel. Overall, I would not recommend this hotel, it is certainly not like the pictures you see online.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed in a lumbung hut, the huts had a nice outdoor area and an outdoor bathroom. The huts are cozy and clean albeit a bit worn.

The Villas are nicely located at the end of the Gili T strip, away from the busiest areas. The hotel staff was mostly helpful with our requests, although they forgot to register our one night extension.

The hotel has an outdoor cinema every evening, which is really nice, unfortunately they had a band competing with the movies sound at their nearby restaurant.

The hotel has an extremely varied brekfast selection. The overall experience was good, but I did expect more at this price level.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Stavanger, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Arrived og Gili T and rode a horse carriage to the hotel. Friendly staff took care of everything while we enjoyed a cool drink at the front desk. The location is brilliant, as it is nothing than a short walk from the strip where everything happens, but quiet when you want to sleep. Great breakfest selections, two pool areas, and snorkeling right off the beach. Very good inhouse Padi centre.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Loved the little huts we stayed in. They're not spacious by any means (but you can get bigger rooms) and the stairs down to the backyard (outdoor) toilet and garden shower are a little terrifying, but we loved it. Each hut has it's own day bed, hammock and table and chairs underneath, and upstairs is the bedroom. Down a steep flight of wooden stairs is an enclosed garden, with an open air shower (I felt like I was in a shampoo commercial, surrounded by tropical flowers), and a toilet and sink. The surrounding gardens and pool with a swim up bar were lovely too. Excellent breakfast spread as well, may I add.

Cons: If you're not in the best of shape, the steep stairs and the fairly low beds are probably not for you. There are lovely, bigger bungalow/cabins you can stay in on the ground floor.

There was also rat poo in our cupboard, which kind of sucks, because everything else about the place was excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Vail, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I rarely write a negative review on here, but I felt this incident needed to be exposed. My mother and I took a trip to Bali/Gili Islands from Los Angeles. We spend a week on the beautiful Gilis and I decided to surprise my mom for Mothers Days with a nice dinner at Villa Ombak. Service was quite slow as it seemed they were under staffed which happens. After we ordered, we asked a staff member to take a picture of us. As he went to return the camera on the table, he dropped my moms expensive camera and it completely bent the lens and the camera lens was not able to retract inside, nor were we able to take any more pictures!! We still had 2 weeks in Bali.

My mom was very upset and we did our best to enjoy the rest of our dinner. We then proceeded to speak to the manager on duty, Mr Mada. We could not believe the way he handled this matter. He was incredibly rude and was not going to do anything about it. He stated that the hotel is not responsible for anything and it was our fault for asking the staff to take a picture of us. Mom asked him, if she fell in the hotel and hurt herself wouldn't you take care of it? His response was, "absolutely not, it is not our fault she fell." Pretty shocking response. I understand mistakes can happen but there is definitely a a better way to handle such incidentals that do happen at hotels.

I have worked for 4 and 5 star hotels and there is definitely a way to resolve these issues. We wrote to the general manager Mr Imam Wahyudi to complain about this and we did not hear from him for weeks in which but told us to go after the person who broke the camera. We tried to connect with the GM or corporate owner to bring this to their attention but we could not find it and the hotel would not provide it to us.

We all know that word of mouth is the best form of advertising and they have clearly lost a VERY good source. We will never go back again. Insurance policy will be safe to have if you plan to go there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Terrible all around.

1) When we arrived, they gave away our room despite me calling 4 hours in advance especially as I had a business meeting over Skype I needed to attend. This was a huge hassle.

2) Second night A/C broke at 1 AM. They claimed to be fixing it even though we had to stay in the unit for 2.5 hours. We finally switched the room as I almost passed out due to heat exhaustion. Crazy. This should have been done after 20 minutes.

3) Due to our deservingly late night calls to bring ice and switch rooms that never materialized until one of us almost passed out due to A/C, head of security, strangely, called front desk to yell at them and switch us.

4) Next morning, an aggravated front desk person, who claimed that we were being overly rude, said he was going to wait for us outside and at night "get us"...shaking his fist in a manner that resembles a stabbing motion. Insane if you ask me as that never has happened especially as I had just finished a trip at the famous hanging gardens hotel in Ubud, Bali which is a 6 star hotel. Perhaps this behavior is typical of lower standard places. Most surprisingly, this man did this in front of the hotel manager who didn't say a thing. We were right outside the front desk area where new folks were checking in. 1 couple was appalled and left to find another hotel.

All in all, it was an unpleasant experience, poor service and terrible food, faulty rooms with Wifi that matches 1996 standards and a crazy staff who intimidates clients by saying they will "take care of you later" with a murder suggestion after one has rightfully complained.

I asked for the owner's email address to email my experience, and all staff members said they don't have it, unless you want to buy the place.

Awful and have already had 6 people avoid the place since my stay and one of our members is a famous travel blogger! Will post thorough article on New York Times.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Hotel Vila Ombak? Share your experiences!