“A place you could call home” 5 of 5 stars

Blu d'aMare
lungomare, West Nusa Tenggara 006285888, Indonesia   |
Ranked #17 of 104 Gili Trawangan B&B and Inns
Bogor
“A place you could call home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I was browsing to find a place to stay when I found this name, somehow the blue theme that Blu d'Amare is seems have its own magic to enchanted me, reservation just made through texting the owner and I'm lucky enough they have a spare space for me. The fast respond given really help me to determine the holiday sched. I was only planning to stay for 3 days but I extend and ended up staying for the whole week there.

The owner, Sandra & Moreno plus their cowo kecil along with their staff welcome us warm heartedly like a long time no see relatives so it is very easy to make you feel like you are going home.

They only have 4 bungalows which are build from the old wooden house called joglo that been presented traditionally but completed with air conditioner & fan along with the wide simple bathroom. I love to hear the sound of the wooden floor squealing softly everytime I walk across the room. Its feels like you are reminded to your childhood when even the simple thing really make you excited. Of course its got hot during the day but the AC working just fine to soothe the skin after you go cycling the island. i have two small comfy chair on the porch, other bungalows have a widen space to put some lazy chair but since I’m alone, I get the small one with the lazy chair put under the tree on the front yard bungalow, yay my lucky luxury having my own garden over there. The entrance to my bungalow is hiden from the main walkpath from the other so it really fits me.the lazy chair under the tree. The room is clean, the bathroom is wide and the beach is just across the restaurant.

The food? they are delicious. They gave me a healthy menu from yogurt, fresh fruit, bread, cake, pancake, omelet that enough to keep you energized until its time for dinner. My bad since I dont like Italian food that much in Jakarta, at first I'm not tempted to try any restaurant menu, but on my last day I decided to try it at least once and it was superb. I'll be back to try other menus someday :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Our stay was wonderful. Great room with semi-open bathroom and sort of working AC. The food at this hotel is beyond amazing(they make the most delicious bread themselves every morning!) and the people (especially Abi and his mate) were so friendly and helpful.

Right at the beautiful beach, where beds are free to use for guests, and away from the busy bars (still easily accessible through a 3 minute walk). It's your best mid range choice I believe for Trawangan.

We planned on staying 2 nights but eventually turned out to be 4. And that was because our flight was coming up :)

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ubud, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We only stayed one night but the food was really yum... which is a surprise because we dont usually like Italian cuisine, but this was so well done and so fresh. The old Javanese Joglo we stayed in was great although it got hot during the day... the aircon was very compromised by the need for sealing the building so the cool air cant escape... some energy spent sealing the gaps would make a big difference...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We were recommended to stay here by the owners of Lumbung Damuh in Candidasa. What a great place this was. The owners were wonderful! Our party of 5 rented two of the little cabins. Each cabin was so quaint with nice bedding and mosquito netting. The bathrooms were clean, the air conditioning worked fine and the owners who so nice and kind. We had planned to stay 3 days and ended up staying for 5 days! During our time, one of my friends was bitten by a centipede and the owner Alessandra went into quick action killing the centipede and taking the anti-venom out of it and rubbing it on the bite. (I didn't know they had anti-venom). She also made me some ginger tea (on the house) when I wasn't feeling well one day. The food was to die for. Throughout our trip we had eaten mostly Balinese food with Rice and their authentic Italian food was outstanding. Everything was fresh with lots of tomato and garlic. Breakfast was included - homemade cakes and breads, fresh fruit, coffee, eggs, pancakes, fresh fruit juices. Tons of food! The little place is situated in a perfect place - far enough from the boats - across from several restaurants and beach bars. Directly across the road is the beach and the owners have a section saved with loungers and tables. Right next to their spot is a wonderful beach restaurant/bar with great food and great service. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed for three nights, it was a very enjoyable stay. The rooms are basic but comfortable, we stayed in bungalow #2 which has one double bed and one small bed, which was perfect for our family. The breakfast is plentiful and delicious. The location is good--great snorkeling right off the beach. The corals aren't in great shape unfortunately, but there are many many fish, and both my husband and I saw turtles! It was also good to be a bit away from the busiest part of Gili Trawangan but not too far from the harbour etc. The food there is fantastic, I will write another review for the restaurant. Suffice it to say we ate there most of the time and we should have eaten there every meal! Very kids-friendly too, probably because the owners' kids are pretty young as well.

The only gripe I have is the quality of the staff. Sandra and Moreno were great hosts, but the local staff were not very well-trained, nor were they very friendly. Unlike other expat-run hotels we've stayed at, the local staff don't really manage important stuff, e.g., I couldn't pay for the accommodation when neither owners were present. In a way it's good because expat-owned but local-run hotels tend to go downhill in terms of quality the moment the owner is gone. But not so convenient if both owners are busy. Also, only about two staff (the restaurant staff) greeted us when they saw us, it was hard to get a "good morning" out of the others, especially the women in the kitchen/looking after the owner's kids and the men who were cleaning the place.

But all in all it was a very pleasant stay, we really enjoyed our time and would love to go back. I would recommend this place especially to those travelling with small kids but also recommended for couples, too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three nights in February 2013 and really enjoyed it. The rooms were rustic and comfortable, the breakfast delicious and, best of all, the staff were uniformly wonderful. The hotel is located just far enough from the busier area of the island to be peaceful, but is close enough for an easy walk if you want to access the busier area. I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the island.

I should also mention that the snorkeling just off the beach in front of the hotel was great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at Blu d'Amare from Alessandra and Moreno for a week and it was perfect. Really good accomodation, lovely food (heaven to eat fresh pasta after weeks of rice) and the freshly caught fish from Moreno was amazing. Perfect view, not the cheapest on the Island but very good price for the quality they offer. We even recommended the place to people we met along out trip on Bali and they came back with the same enthousiastic story. Alessandra is a really good host! And our little daughter J walked around freely and was always welcome in the kitchen for some milk :-)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Blu d'aMare? Share your experiences!