“Surprisingly bad” 1 of 5 stars

Gili Trawangan, West Nusa Tenggara 83233, Indonesia   |
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Surprisingly bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

While the website shows a decent pool, which does exist, upon arrival we were informed that we were not allowed to use it. Apparently our internet booking had relegated us to a portion of the resort called "the umbrella", which looked nothing like the photos! As well as being dark, old, musty and infested with mosquitoes, our bungalow was inches away from a construction site. The promised "fresh water" turned out to be salt water out of a hose, while the outdoor bathroom resembled a very nasty jail cell. We stayed one night. The Hideaway is about a five-minute walk from the beach, down a small alley. For the same price we got a new, clean and bright room directly on the beach, just steps away from excellent snorkelling. You can do better than this dump!

Room Tip: Don't book this place unless you are SURE that you won't be relegated to the old, decrepit...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
hideawayhideaways, Owner at Gili Hideaway, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
We would like to add another Room Tip to this review: Do make sure you read the information on our website/agoda which clearly highlights the differences in the facilities in the Hideaway and Umbrella Bungalows, before making your booking.

Would also like to use this opportunity to to announce the completion of our beautiful new pool in our Umbrella Bungalow compound!

Furthermore we have added fresh water to the Umbrella Bungalow showers and have built a new lounge and dining area.
Thanks!

269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Indonesian first
Hanoi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

last july we visited Gili Hideaway; an amazing experience! A hidden surprise on the lovely island Gili Trawangan. Although the island became very touristic, it still has his charmes. But the Gideaway is a oasis of relaxing, quiteness and peace!
Nice villas and great service, everything with the personal touch!
Dewi and staff, thank you very much for the lovely time we had!

Esther, Nicole & Family

Room Tip: there are different types of rooms; the umbrella's are a bit older and more simple, but still ve...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I'll keep this short and sweet - my wife and I had a fantastic time at Gili Hideaway! Primarily for two reasons: 1) the staff there were extremely kind and welcoming and, 2) The 'lodge' is simple yet super beautiful. There are tons of flowers and birds around - very pretty. The pool was such a relief too when the sun's beaming down in the mid-afternoon.

Just a heads up that the rooms do not have AC or hot water (as noted on their website), but as long as you're OK with that you are absolutely going to love Gili Hideaway = )

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights in the Gili Hideaway pool cottages recently and were very happy there. From initial contact Dewi, the Owner, was extremely helpful and informative and booked our boat travel there and back, as well as providing answers to all my general queries. We received a warm welcome from Sam on arrival with a lovely cool drink, and were shown to our little cottage room that over looked the pool. The bedroom had a very comfortable large bed and mosquito net with two fans in the room for cooling (no airconditioning but we did not need it). The bathroom was large and semi out of doors and the only reason for giving a 4 star rating as opposed to 5 star was due to the fact that the shower has only cold water, there was no plug in the handbasin and the drain was a little smelly coming up from the basin. There was nowhere to use a hairdryer and decent mirror to see at night. But vanity aside, one could not complain about the wonderful service provided, the delicious breakfasts and the best brownies and lime slice ever for afternoon tea. Sam was ever obliging with his pots of tea and china teacups served at the pool in the afternoon and our tonic and ice for our gin brought to our verandah in the evening. The tropical garden around the pool is beautiful and so well kept and the grounds were always cleanly swept. Our room was cleaned and made up every day. The position of Gilihideaway is perfect in every way - away from the crowds and yet just around the corner from the best snorkeling and swimming beach and restaurants.
A lovely selection of novels were at hand to borrow, along with board games - a nice touch. All in all I would highly recommend this lovely peaceful spot to anyone. I think next time I would ask for one of the rooms at the back of the property rather than overlooking the pool, as this would be a little more private. Pool/beach towels are provided if you ask for them.
Look forward to seeing you all again next year hopefuly and advice to anyone wanting to book - do so early on as it gets very booked up! Thank you to all the staff who made our stay such a happy and enjoyable time and to Dewi.

Room Tip: Away from the pool is quieter
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We went to Gili in early september and spent four nights at Gili Hideways. We had a wonderful time there : Dewi & the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean, nice and big enough for 3 people. The breakfast was delicious... We had the most amazing time : snorkelling, massage, mani/pedi, good restaurants within walking distance.
The location is perfect since the hotel is quiet and really close from the beach (but a little bit away from the noisy streets).
I would definitely recommand Gili Hideway to anybody and I will most definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Spent two nights here during me and myfriends trip to Gili Trawangan. This inn is ultimately the best place to stay away from the loud nights and crowd streets of Gili Trawangan.

Their service was just as I expected. They bought us snorkeling tickets so we don't have to pick those snorkeling services ourselves (I assume they know which one is the best). They helped us with our rented bike, have it delivered to the inn and also called cidomo (horse carriage) to carry our luggage to the seaport. The crew was so hospitable, the food was great, we love their banana pancake (my friend even asked for its recipe).

They only have four cottages so you don't expect lots of customers around, which is good. It's peace and quiet in the evening. The room was good, no air con (no big deal), the bathroom was nice and clean, open-air shower.

Overall the place is excellent, possibly the best non-hotel place to stay in Gili Trawangan.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

It was my first solo adventure and Dewi was very helpful when I made the arrangements from Kuala Lumpur. We did not get to meet in person when I was at Gili T (maybe because I was always out!), but the staff were friendly, polite, and they made me feel at home during my stay (terima kasih!!).

I was very happy with my umbrella room, especially since it's bigger than I expected. I also liked that the beach isn't that far to walk to and that the area is not too busy (not in the centre).. I wanted a peaceful getaway and that's exactly what I got :O)

I fell in love with Gili T and the friendly people... I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Gili Hideaway? Share your experiences!