“Best Operation on Gili Trawangan” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Blue Marlin Dive, the original dive resort on the beautiful Gili islands. Established in 1992 by renowned technical diver and instructor Simon Liddiard, Blue Marlin has grown to be a successful PADI 5-Star Instructor Development Resort and technical diving facility. We offer daily recreational and technical dive trips for certified divers, a complete range of PADI recreational and TecRec courses from beginner to instructor level and a luxury diving liveaboard based in Komodo national park. An award-winning TDI and IART technical facility, we specialize in Enriched Air Nitrox, Tri-mix, Buddy Inspiration and Evolution, and JJ Closed-Circuit Rebreather training. We have a full service dive resort with a restaurant, bar & on-site accommodation. Let our clear warm waters, swaying palm trees and no-motorized traffic ensure your holiday is a memorable one.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Perth, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Best Operation on Gili Trawangan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I stayed with Blue Marlin Gili Trawangan to complete my divemaster qualification under instructor Donna Gallagher and found the whole experience very professional, thorough and the whole team made me feel very welcome.
Blue Marlin is also a technical diving specialist so it allows access to many destinations beyond the scope of other operators in the area so it's a great place for divers of all levels to visit.

Visited September 2012
BlueMarlinDive, Manager at Blue Marlin Dive - Gili Trawangan, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Hello Earthmanben,
Thank you for taking the time to make a review of our dive centre. It is a pleasure to hear that you felt Blue Marlin Dive was such an excellent operation, and that your divemaster course met your expectations for professional diver training. We are pleased that you found it thorough and also to hear that you felt that whole team made you feel welcome during your stay with us.It is also great to hear that you appreciated the availability of the technical training division and the possibility to explore more dive spots which may not be possible with other operators.We do hope you will return to us again in the future to further both your professional and technical training and that you will recommend us to others who may be considering taking the step into diving as a profession.

• Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
“Best and only place to dive on Gilli T <3”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Well I'm not the most aquatic of people and ended up doing the Advanced Open Water and ten amazing dives. Fantastic experience, great instructors, quality food (one the best restaurants and accommodation on the island and trust me we got about!), friendly atmosphere, genuine people! Truly valued Blue Marlin as a land mark in our travelling trip. Even ended up doubling our stay on the island because diving was so much fun. Would recommend for all age groups of all levels of diving, but from my own time spent there... particularly good for first divers :) Cheers guys!

Visited July 2013
BlueMarlinDive, Manager at Blue Marlin Dive - Gili Trawangan, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Hello There,
Thank you very much for taking the time to make a review of our dive centre. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your diving experiences with us so much so that you took ten dives plus the Advanced Open Water course. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed the food at our beachside restaurant and were happy with the accommodation options we offer. We are glad that you found the atmosphere friendly and genuine and that it was fun for you to hang out at our dive centre. We are pleased to hear you have no hesitation in recommending us to other divers both new and experienced, and would love to see you back here again fur further diving experiences.
Bali, Indonesia
“The best week of my trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Based on a recommendation, my friend I headed to Blue Marlin in Gili just to enquire about prices, and ended up completing our PADI Open Water course and Advanced Course.
I thoroughly enjoyed my week diving with the team and learnt an awful lot from a very competent, patient and friendly instructor; Edwin absolutely made our week and I couldn't have wished for a better instructor. Both myself and my friend had our moments in the water, however, Edwin took very good care of all of us and worked hard to make sure we, not only enjoyed our time, but were successful at the end of it.
The whole team are extremely accommodating, passionate and are always available to answer any queries or simply chat about your dive....making for a wicked atmosphere, I never wanted to leave at the end of a day's diving.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Blue Marlin to anyone and hope it's not too long before I'm back!!
Thanks to all, especially Edwin for a magical week diving in the Gilis.

Visited August 2013
BlueMarlinDive, Manager at Blue Marlin Dive - Gili Trawangan, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Hello Kristina,
Thank you for making a review of us here at Blue Marlin Dive, and for such an awesome response. We are amazed to hear that diving with us and completing both your Open Water Diver training as well as your Advanced Open Water was the best week of your whole trip!! Its fantastic to know you enjoyed the experience with our instructor Edwin, and that you found him to be competent, patient and friendly. I'm sure he will be thrilled to hear that he made your week and that you felt he ensured that weren't just a certified diver by the end of it , but also a skilled diver. We are happy to hear that you saw this passion in the whole team, and that you felt we were accommodating and helpful. We are also glad that you loved the atmosphere here, and felt that there was always somebody to talk to at the end of the day about your diving experiences. We do hope you will recommend us to others as someone recommended you, and that you will come back to us soon again and maybe continue your training or do some fun diving.
Barcelona, Spain
“Excellent teachers to discover scuba diving!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We are a spanish couple that took Discover Scuba Diving Course at Blue Marlin Dive - Gili Trawangan last week. Definitely, this was one of our best experiences in Indonesia!!! It was incredible feeling like a fish and only hearing your breathing inside the ocean! I have to say that we were a little scared because it was our first time diving, but all our fears were gone thanks to our instructors professionality and amability. In the morning, we did some theory and a pool inmersion to practice different skills. This was very helpful. In the afternoon, when we jumped into the sea, our experienced instructor Aristides (who spoke a lot of different languages including spanish) took care of us every single moment. Therefore we could enjoy the experience and the beautiful scenery! We saw plenty of different colourfull fishes. Finally, we were lucky to meet a medium shark in front of us! For all these reasons, I would really recommend this school.

Visited August 2013
BlueMarlinDive, Manager at Blue Marlin Dive - Gili Trawangan, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hello There,

Thank you very much for taking the time to make a review of our dive centre here at Blue Marlin Dive, and we very much appreciate the positive response you give us. We are very happy that you as a novice diver felt comfortable and happy here, and that due to the patience and amiable nature of your instructor Ari you went from being a little scared to absolutely loving the ocean and the marine life that is on offer here around Gili Trawangan. And wow, you are very lucky to see a shark on your first ever dive!!

We are happy that you enjoyed the theory and pool training introduction first to make you more comfortable before you went to the ocean, and that it was made even easier by the availability of your instructions in Spanish. We do try to take things nice and slowly for new beginners so you can enjoy the underwater world as much as we do, taking it at your own pace. It's absolutely great to hear that this was one of your best experiences in Indonesia as the marine life here is one of the main attractions of Indonesia and its surrounding waters. It is a pity you could not stay and complete your Open Water Diver training here with us, but perhaps you can return to us soon again to get certified and continue your new found passion for the ocean.
Kuta, Indonesia
“Great Dive Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

From the shop to the dives, the staff, and the other divers, Blue Marlin was an awesome experience to get my Advanced Open Water Cert.

tl;dr: Great place to hang, to party (on Mondays), and to dive. Instructors are fun and staff are helpful.

Everyone at Blue Marlin was cheerful and friendly, even the locals and staff after long days. On several occasions I had to make changes to my gear (or find my own among the other gear), and every time they were accommodating and went out of their way to help me.

My dives were fun, but I've read here about others having lame experiences. We can't particularly blame the staff for that though, because they are accountable for other divers safety and progression. At times it could seem slow in the water, but they care about safety a lot here and that's better than the contrast! (Heard other shops don't do group equipment checks, expect everyone to know how to handle themselves, etc.)
My dives were also quite small, having two or three buddy groups. In fact, my brother got to do PEAK with the instructor alone, which I heard was an awesome and rare experience. I have doubts the classes are often that small anywhere else. Blue Marlin also has several boats ready to go, along with the gear you need and soap (to use as a defogger for your mask). If you have any of your own gear though, they welcome you to use it!

My brother and I had an Daniel, a dive instructor, and he was a incredibly fun to dive with and would make sure we went through every hoop we needed to in order to get our Advanced. We both wanted to go on a night dive, but the water was too rough for the next several nights. On the night before we left and on a day when Blue Marlin doesn't even do night dives, Daniel arranged for us to use the boat so we could complete our certification doing the dives we wanted!

I was lucky – The other divers I had were fun and really cool. It was a pleasure diving with them, and it made the experience even more fun, even if some of them didn't pick up on the skills as quickly or kept bumping me in the water.

I did not try their dinner or lunch food, but I had a salad and coffee there and both were pretty good.

I can't account for their Open Water program, or the rest of their food, but I think this is an awesome place to hang at and be apart of. Good luck and have fun in your time in Gili!

Protips:

1) All the staff are extremely cool, and will even get drinks (sometimes) after a long day of diving.
2) I've heard that most of the dive shops talk about prices, so nearly all of them are around the same price. Might as well go to a place with awesome staff and great equipment.
3) Monday's are BIG party nights here! One of the divers who is photographer and videographer in the day, DJs at night and is pretty good! Head over ~11pm or later and the party should be getting going!
4) Really family-friendly, but if you're going with a group of fun people there's a lot of fun back-and-forth between the dive instructors and the other staff.
5) If you have a specific dive you want to do, or plan to do, ask the staff! They are understanding and helpful.
6) Everyone is incredibly trustworthy there. They have places to store a small bag and towels, but you share them with other divers. I never felt unsure about leaving my stuff unattended there, though. No sketchy people here!

Hi Nick,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us here at Blue Marlin Dive. We are glad to hear you had a great diving experience and that you enjoyed your Advanced Open Water Diver course with our instructor Daniel. It is lovely to hear that you found our staff to be cheerful, helpful and friendly, and that you felt we went out of our way to help you.

It is encouraging to hear that you enjoyed the small group experiences, and that your brother really appreciated the chance to get some on-to-one instruction on his Peak Performance Bouyancy dive. We are glad that you appreciated the multiple boat options and the availability of little things like the mask defogger on the boat. We are happy to hear that you found us to be extremely professional on the boat and with the equipment, and that you understood our avoidance of night dives for a few days was about safety. We are also glad that you did appreciate the decision to go night diving again when conditions improved and that you felt it gave you and your brother the personal attention you deserved and allowed you to complete the option dives you wanted for your advanced course.

It's also nice to know you enjoyed hanging out at the dive centre in the evenings and having a drink with the instructors and your fellow students and that you had fun at our "famous Monday Night Party". We hope you will share your good experiences with fellow travellers and encourage them to check us out here at Blue Marlin Dive and that maybe we will see you again some day for more fun diving adventures.