“Clean and friendly family hotel with lots to do!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Anfora Playa to your Saves list
Anfora Playa
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Es Cana S/N, 07840 Es Canar, Ibiza, Spain   |
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Es Canar
“Clean and friendly family hotel with lots to do!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband and 2 year old son for a week at the end of september 2012 and can safely say i think it was more than i expected after reading some peoples reviews on here, it has led me to wonder what some people expect for their money. I would say we paid a fair price for a week's half board stay. I found the staff very friendly and helpful, the room was clean and of a good size with everything you would need particularly with a small child, which is something that i had worried about since it was going to be his first trip abroad. There was a safe deposit box in the wardrobe and the lack of air conditioning was not a problem however I'm not sure how it would have been in the height of season. We were however told that air conditioning was going to be installed for summer 2013. There was always something to do around the hotel even though it was coming towards the end of season ( riffle shooting, pool, boules etc), and there was a lovely little outdoor play area for children as well as two good sized pools, the best being the one at the back of the hotel as there were more sunbeds and the sun was on the pool most of the day. The front pool was a little cold. My only negative comments would have to be that there wasn't much happening during the day for very small children but i guess during term time this is to be expected. The evening entertainment was good but could have been timed more appropriately as the things that my little boy would have enjoyed were happening as the restaurant was opening for our evening meal by which point he was hungry and couldn't have waited any longer, the restaurant didn't open until 7. However the food was very good and there was excellent choice even for the fussiest of eaters. Despite the mixed bag of weather we were given we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Anfora Playa and didnt have any problems we wouldn't hesitate to stay again should we get the chance.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Room 129 at the rear of the hotel on the first floor

For able bodied people:
8/10 great food - variety, yummy, buffet style with no limitations
Very clean, spotless. Fresh sheets & towels daily. Lovely housekeeping lady.
Helpful lovely staff. Can't do enough to help. Mandy on the bar is a delight.
Good entertainment
The bedroom doors lock, reports from other people about their room being broken into do not make sense.
Clean pools
Kids entertainers were adored by the kids and fun.
The mattresses were very hard in our room.
There is air conditioning in the rooms, but the housing for it connects with the adjoining room and consequently you can hear whatever is being said/ done in the next room/bathroom. (Everything!)

For people with mobility difficulties:

Dining room:
There is plenty of room between tables for people in wheelchairs r small scooters.
Self serve for food and difficult to reach some of the plates and food from a wheelchair or scooter, especially as the implements to dish up your portion was either long tongs , ladle or long armed spoons. Seated means you are not at a good angle for getting food from these every to your plate.
Drinks are ordered and delivered to the table and paid for at the time of receipt, not on charge.

Ramps:
I use a wheelchair and encountered some difficulty, there are ramps throughout the hotel all polished granite, so slippy under wheel. (probably fitted with pushchairs in mind). Theres problems with the ramps. The slope of all the interior ramps aren't flush with the floor, there is a drop as you come down or ridge as you ascend of about an inch in height from the floor before the ramp starts. I know it sounds petty, but the chair jarred and skewed because of the ramps. One lady fell out of her chair as it jarred against the ridge. It was difficult for the two people using wheely stroller/zimmers to negotiate this issue. I have a broken back and the jarring was a big issue for pain management.
The ramps around the exterior grounds are fine, the one leading to the hotel entrance is great, but the access from the pavement is not easy to negotiate in a chair without assistance.
The ramp to the pool at the rear is steep but accessible. There is plenty of room to get around the grounds ok.

Lift:
There is a small lift, there isn't room to turn your wheelchair around in the lift and the doors close quickly. the buttons are behind your chair and I found the difficult to reach when in the lift alone. If I had someone accompany me (only room for one other walking person if you are in a chair or scooter)

The pools.
The front pool doesn't get as warm as the rear pool, but has a ladder or slope leading to steps into the pool, with a handrail.
There are chairs and loungers around the pool. The rear pool is larger, with a ladder at one end and steps at the other. The steps were tricky for me as there was a significant drop from the last step to the pool floor. I would estimate it was about2-3 foot in depth, beyond my ability, but not a problem for two other people with mobility problems, that were using the pool happily. I sat on the step and put me feet in te water which was nice.

The bar and entertainment area were accessible and lovely.

Bedroom with bath and shower over bath - not accessible- bigger room and easy to get around the beds and to the balcony in a wheelchair/scooter.

Bedroom with accessible bathroom :
There wasn't enough room to get past the first bed in a wheelchair. It wasn't possible to get from the entrance to the room, past the beds and onto the balcony in a wheelchair.

Bathroom:
We had a room with an 'accessible' shower. the power shower was fab. It had grab rails, but not in the best The base of the shore was highly polished with smooth raised tiles, it was too shiny and I slipped and fell to the floor on the first day, bruising my hand - hence no photos, sorry. There is a stool attached to the wall, that wasn't easy to sit on as it has plastic struts for the seat, which were very uncomfortable. There is a gap of 8 cms between the floor and bottom of the shower curtain, so the floor of the bathroom gets soaked. The tiles are smooth and are then very slippy, This was tricky and not just for me, but my husband struggled with this problem too.

The toilet has a pull down hand rail to ease getting on and off.

Internet access:
€15 per week but free access in reception.

Fridge rental:
It's through an outside contractor, arranged at reception. a little mini fridge and a whopping €50 per week, we stayed 11 days, so could have almost bought one for that. I'm diabetic, so needed somewhere to store my insulin. I thought it was over the top to be honest.

The resort of Es Cana
Warm and friendly people on the whole. A bit of a sleepy town. Buses to local resorts and on to Ibiza Town.

Es Cana is not geared up to people using a wheelchair/scooter or stroller/rollator. There is the occasional ramp on a pavement but no corresponding ramp on the opposite side of the road. Pavements are too narrow or littered with obstacles, restaraunt/bar signage, lamposts, litter bins. its crazy! I had to use the road to wheel along and it was hairy at times. There are very few accessible shops, bars and restaraunts. As a result, I stayed around the hotel primarily.

Taxis will take wheelchairs if they fit in a boot, but not all taxis are willing to take wheelchairs. €9 Euros to the nearest big town. Sainta Ellulia, a nice promenade, but again rubbish access to cafes, bars and shops,with high kerbs sporadic ramps. Buses and the resort bus (looks like a train on wheels) cannot accommodate wheelchairs & scooters.

The Hippy Market takes place on Wednesdays, it's hard to get to and the ground there is gravelly, uneven and with inclines and few ramps. Lots to see, buy and people watching a-go-go.

There's a brilliant dive school at Es Cana, well worth checking out.
La Finca is a great foodie place, delicious food, friendly, local people sing - English and Spanish songs. Great arty place!

We had a quiet relaxing holiday and wish I had some info about the access issues before I went there. I thought that I would be able to get around and have some choices of mooching around shops or go for meals / drinks/ ice creams without too much hassle. There was really very few options for any of those things, so be aware that you may feel excluded or frustrated by the lack of accessibility.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Carmen F, Manager at Anfora Playa, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We do really appreciate them to improve, we take note of the issue of ramps inside the hotel and see how we can improve, also the bathrooms. Kind regards.
north humberside
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Arrived at the anfora playa at the beginning of may for our annual 2 week break we were impressed by the cleanliness of the place rooms very basic but very clean food ok and the bar staff excellent at their job. The problems started as we walked through reception one morning and a young couple with two children were reporting that their money had been robbed from their room with no sign of a break in. we had read about this before we went and we were then very uneasy for the rest of our stay as the the same morning someone else had woke to find an intruder in their room. sadly we wont be returning to the anfora.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Went to the Anfora September 2011 and are returning in June 2013. For a family of three it was the perfect location, staff are helpful and the food is better than many 4* hotels. Was in a side room on the service road which was a bit of a nightmare as you are wakened at 5am every morning so would advise a front or back room. No A/C was no problem for me as I come from Scotland and love the heat since I only get to experience the sun and warmth for two weeks every year.
The hotel is very clean and the staff are helpful and friendly and I have found that even with a complaint if you start with a smile you will get one in return.

Room Tip: Front or back rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
sheffeild
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Love Es Canar and usually go once each year,have tried a few hotels and last Sept tried the Anfora Playa.A very good 2 star with food as good as any 3star hotel we have stayed in.Rooms are basic but clean and as many have said very hot due to no air con but we knew this so why moan! Staff were helpful and pleasant when we spoke to them. The only reason we wouldn't go back is the pools,one is at the front with a few sun beds, but the main one at the back is locked until 10 o'clock which is far too late when you have been up and about since 8,just to sit and relax in the early morning sun is lovely and not too hot,just a personal preference ,if this will not bother you go, you will not be disappointed

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking back pool are quietest,we had a side room which was fine
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in October 2012. It was more than we had expected it to be re the rating for the Hotel. Food was excellent lots of choices, and it was all freshly cooked, we were all inclusive so this was a bonus, as we both enjoy a drink. the bar had a brilliant system, where as you were allowed to order just two drinks at a time, this meant you only waited a couple of minutes when ever you wanted a drink.
The staff were very friendly and most efficient.
We would with out a doubt stay there again as we both love EsCana and this is the best Hotel we have stayed at in the resort

Room Tip: I would ask in future for a room facing the main pool, as this gets the early evening sun on balcony...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

been there for last 11 years and only problem is evening meals are rubish and no air con in rooms and this year was a heatwave so you could bake bread in the room it was that hot, BUT you can hire a fan and an expensive price bv hey get drunk and sleep on the beach. wont be gohng there again, playa sol for me next time

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Anfora Playa? Share your experiences!