“not worth it!” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“not worth it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Finding the tables at El Olivo (a regular favorite in 20 years of visits) we tried the Dalt Vila next door, instead.....the dishes 'sounded' interesting, but when they came, the execution was of poor standard... decorated nicely with nice plates, but the taste... missing. My grilled lambsrack with crunchy crust was an obvious 'pinch' from Olivo's menu, and it was the first time I ever had to add salt and pepper to lamb, because the flesh was so tasteless...again, obviously deep-frozen for a long time, and not fresh from the market...
To compare, our party ordered the same lambsrack dish at Olivo's the very next day (having reserved this time), and voila, everything was there - the taste, the texture, the balance of the dish...
Ironically, the same dish was even 3 euros cheaper at Olivo's...(!)

So, end verdict for Dalt Vila - not worth it!

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Started well ut a very dssappointing end to the meal!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

The restaurant was fairly busy - (Good Friday). But we hadn't booked and got a table ok - as did many others just walking in.
Orders were taken - the wine great, bread and olive tapanard etc beautiful. Our main course arrived and were very good. Our service up until this point had been very quick and reasonably pleasant. A first spoiler was when two waiters started moving tables (which were rather large and heavy) across peoples heads etc whilst they were eating, in order to fit more people in! As there was now a couple of groups waiting for tables.
We ordered dessert, but after 35mins it still had not arrived the waiters were very busy looking after the new tables and my husband and I noted two other couples as well as us had now been left just sitting without any service at all.
My husband called a waiter over I explained we had ordred dessets and they had not arrived and he just said oh! do you want the bill? The head waiter brought the card machine to pay, I told him we had not had our desserts and he did not even answer me or look at me!
We finished our drinks and while doing so the waitress who had took our dessert order came over and said "it is my fault" I said "I know"! and that was it, no apology, and no one spoke to us as we left the restaurant!
This restaurant is pretty expensive, as a beautiful setting and I know is well reviewed on here, which is why we tried it!
The food is good but not quite as good as its neighbouring Il Giardinetto, what lets it down is the service, We felt as a couple we were not as important as them looking after the bigger groups - those that will spend more!
Good service to me makes your meal/experience!

• Visited April 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
SineadR79
“Lovely evening, great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I really enjoyed the starter of scallop and ginger and the pre dessert which had raspberries, rose, strawberries, sorbet, spun sugar and pink peppercorns in it. The waiter was very friendly and efficient and we had some lovely wines. We sat outside to gone midnight it was the most enjoyable evening.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
uk
“New food in old town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

great modern food expertly prepared.This is fine dining with very friendly service.