We have never been to Tennerife before and I didn't read any Trip Advisor reviews before we came. We were a party of three in two rooms - no children - and booked through "Low Cost Holidays" for 8 days all inclusive, flying from Birmingham Airport.
We, in common with many others traveling, had no holiday rep to meet us - and floundered for a while to work out what to do. But eventually we found the desk and joined the coach for transfers to the Hotel.
We arrived at around 8pm and booked into our rooms - and there were the first surprises of our stay:
1) A 60 Euro Deposit which had not been mentioned anywhere in our paperwork (as far as we could see)
2) we paid for a safe in the room. (Probably a good idea in the light of the robbery experienced by Hayley)
3) I paid 20 Euros for one week of Internet. After an abortive attempt to use the WiFi in my room - I discovered that I had virtually no signal and the next day I went to the hotel at the back (The Tropical Park) because I had a very good signal from them and I paid 15 Euro for a week of internet with them, and got my 20 Euros back.
4) Apparently Air Conditioning is not the norm in Tennerife (so the hotel told me) so our room on the first night was like an oven and sleeping was made all the more difficult because of the plastic covers on the mattresses.- After one day with the shutters to the bedroom closed and the french windows open - and the patio door open and the sun-shade curtains drawn and the ceiling fan on permanently the place has cooled down quite a bit.
Actually the accommodation is spacious - we have a large balcony with a table and four chairs - a lounge with settee and a spare bed settee - a dining table and a kitchen - and then a good size double bedroom.
It is, however, all rather tired and in need of some revamping.
We are on an all inclusive package and the food is adequate in quantity - but the quality is not that good - with simple things like over-cooked swordfish (you could sole your shoes with it) over-cooked soggy veggies (Ideal if you like your food done to within an inch of it's life) although the breakfast was fair - and they do nice bread.
The hotel boasts four pools and two bars, only one of which was open! So this meant that if you wanted to enjoy sun bathing by a pool you either had to choose the one where you could easily get a drink or the one which was peaceful, quiet, where there were no kids running wild but not get a drink!
Inside the restaurant you could get your drinks in glasses - so you could get a half-litre glass of beer, a glass of wine or whatever - but when you went from the restaurant to the pool area they quite naturally only allowed plastic glasses to be taken outside.
I agree with that - nothing more dangerous than the likelihood of broken glass with children running around to send health and safety risk assessments thro tse flimsy little plastic cups usually reserved for the water dispenser - and this was seriously awful!
If you wanted to have a drink of any size you had to order THREE at a time (That was the limit) and by the end of a few hours there was a stack of cups on the table.
We were told by one of the bar staff that they used to offer larger glasses but the new manager had put a stop to it - and introduced these.
Whatever the reason, it certainly annoyed most of the guests that we spoke to.
Entertainment during the day was very "hi de hi" - and shades of a holiday camp - which was probably fine if you had children there - and the evenings were again very stuck in a time warp.
Having been to other resorts for All Inclusive holidays - where staff waited on table (that is how they earned their tips) and where the food selection was wider, and more varied day by day, we found this to be expensive for what it was although other guests were friendly and we had some good laughs along the way.
So, all in all, be prepared for all of the above, and if you feel that kind of holiday is right for you then go ahead and book!
- Also Known As:
- Vime Callao Garden Hotel Callao Salvaje
- Vime Callao Garden Salvaje
- Callao Garden Tenerife
- Vime Callao Garden Hotel
- Callao Garden
- Vime Callao Garden Tenerife/Callao Salvaje, Canary Islands
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Tingo, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Vime Callao Garden reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.