“Treated like one of the Family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Retreat at Lookout

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bodden Town
The Retreat at Lookout
Save Saved
You added The Retreat at Lookout to your Saves list
521 Lookout Road, Bodden Town KY1-1602, Grand Cayman   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Bodden Town B&B and Inns
Canmore, Alberta
“Treated like one of the Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I traveled on my own to Grand Cayman Island last January and loved staying at The Retreat Lookout. I was made to feel like family. Izona, Betty, Harvey and Lisa went out of their way to make sure all my needs were met. They went up and above the regular expectations of a Bed and Breakfast. The food was excellent- fresh from the farm, the property was amazing- the rooms spotless. I would highly recommend the Retreat to anyone who wants to get away from the commercial beach areas. It was a quick drive to all and any beach you desired all the while having the privacy of being in the country to really relax. I saw Betty and Harvey in town a few times and they always treated me like a family member, not just a guest.
The only thing I would say, is the Bird Sanctuary is nothing spectacular. If you go with the expectations of seeing a special, serene spot for the birds, you will feel disappointed- I am a huge animal advocate and saw that the birds were just stuck in cages without any "sanctuaryness" at all. Also was tough since there were Parrots in cages, while other Parrots flew freely on the property. Perhaps I am too much of a softy, but kind of broke my heart. Don't get me wrong, the birds were being cared for, but the term sanctuary just didn't capture the essence. Please for one moment do not think that this made my trip unpleasant in any way- Just important to mention as I am an animal/bird advocate- others might have different opinions. The goats were adorable and so much fun to visit- they are having a blast and enjoying their life.
I really can't stress enough about the people!!! I was nervous going on my own- Lisa did loads of work to answer any of my questions before I arrived and Izona, and Betty were just amazing when I arrived. They all made the trip for me.... as I said, I was treated more like a family member than just a guest. I highly recommend the Retreat in every way!!! Thanks to my Grand Cayman Island Family- for the bike, the ideas, the help with the computer, the cell phone, the amazing food, the beautiful grounds, the extra towels and the extra care!!! You all made a huge difference in my life.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely- double check if you want one with a window in the shower.... a nice touch...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
South Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed at the Retreat at Lookout in March this year. We had a wonderful week there. Izona made our stay there perfect! Such a sweet and hardworking person. I would love to go back next year..........but I have sent four email messages for reservations. It's been over two weeks and still no answer. We found such a great deal on our flight to Grand Cayman and didn't want to wait any longer for fear of missing out on such a great deal. We have made other arrangements.
I would recommend staying there if you can get a response.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
ManageratLookout, Manager at The Retreat at Lookout, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
The Retreat at Lookout is closed and is no longer taking reservations.
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

This is a perfect place to be we only spent one night but it was great. We spent the rest of our trip at the Ritz Carlton which is very nice on 7 mile beach. More than once we thought it would have been nice to stay at the Retreat longer. Breakfast was fabulous! The owners and staff were as nice as can be if we had of kept our rental car we would have been going back for breakfast. Fresh fresh food right from the farm. Not very much Cayman culture on 7 mile beach so it was great to spend time and speak with Betty she has so much knowledge and just plan nice and genuine. Izona (spelling wrong) was so warm and welcoming and a good cook. She had my wife crying when we left to go to Ritz because it was like leaving a close friend. OK I know it sounds over the top but one night stay we felt so blessed to have found this place and the people. Room very clean and comfortable. The pools was very nice with Parrots in the trees

Room Tip: Lisa took care of the carrental sent great tips of where to go and eat etc.... she is great and resp...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Just returned from a 2-night stay at The Retreat at Lookout Farms and wanted to extend a big thanks to the great staff who hosted us and share our experience with future travelers.

The highlight was definitely the staff. Lisa booked the room for us and was extremely attentive, responsive, and friendly during the whole reservation process. She took the time to send an incredibly detailed list of places off the beaten path since we had not been to Cayman before, to notify me at each stage of the billing, and went above and beyond to invite my questions leading up to our stay. When we arrived, we were greeted with a big hug by the sweet Izona who introduced herself, offered us some cold coconut water, showed us to our room, and made sure everything was as we wanted it to be. She's the person we got to know best while there and gave us a lot of insight into life on the island. Our first morning, she prepared us a great, fresh breakfast with lots of new-to-us, traditional Caribbean foods and showed us around the farm with interesting information about all the different plants. While we were looking around, she saw a big breadfruit that looked ripe and had it picked just so we could try it the next day. She was a very kind woman who made a big impression on us and we will remember her fondly as making our trip special. Betty and Harvey were also extremely friendly and welcoming. It is a working farm, so I'm sure they are busy, but they made a point to stop by when we first arrived, chatted a bit, and recommended some places to eat. They were also out on the porch the next morning when we got up for breakfast and asked us about our adventures the night before and plans for the day.

One of the things we liked a lot about the staff is that they created a very welcoming, familial atmosphere. However, they never imposed themselves on us either. We enjoyed their company very much and learned a lot from our conversations with them, but we also had a limited time to explore the island so weren't able to hang out around the farm as much as we may have had our schedule been different. Some people who stay there may enjoy engaging in conversation more and we found the staff to be very easy and pleasant to talk to. Others who stay there might just be busy and would appreciate that the staff is very respectful and mindful of privacy and busy schedules.

The location is perfect if you want to fully explore the entire island and don't mind being away from all the action in the more bustling parts of the island (like George Town or Seven Mile Beach). I couldn't imagine staying at The Retreat without renting a car, but it's quite easy to access the islands' attractions pretty quickly: about 15-20 minutes to George Town, 30-40 minutes to West Bay, and 30-40 minutes to Water Cay/Rum Point. As others mentioned, there were a few mosquitos that got us while we were at The Retreat, but they were everywhere on the island too and we attribute that more to the weather/time of year than anything else.

Overall, we found The Retreat to be a welcoming, comfortable, and very unique place to stay in Grand Cayman. It's also a really good value considering that other rooms on the island can be quite expensive (and don't include a homegrown breakfast prepared for you!). The only reason we didn't give it an "excellent" rating is that the rooms, while very clean and comfortable enough, were a little cramped and the bed was a little harder than we prefer. Otherwise, we have already highly recommended this special place to others and would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Goodyear, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I found this place on Trip Advisor. It is a great place to stay. It is on the east end of Grand Cayman, away from the hustle and bustle of the west end. It has 6 rooms, air conditioned, cable TV, a swimming pool, a goat farm where one can pet the goats (it is on a working farm). The best part is Izona--the lady who cooks breakfast and keeps the place sparkling. She has a great personality, a non-stop smile and she is a great cook. She will prepare a different breakfast every morning but if you prefer, she will cook to your request. It has WiFi, a computer for guests' use and a free phone for calls to the U.S. and Canada. All in all, my vote for the best place to stay in Grand Cayman. I won't repeat all of the other comments from other reviewers but I agree wholeheartedly with everything they said. As for getting a rental car, absolutely, but let Lisa, the reservation lady, handle the details. She uses Avis and said she could get the best price--I checked out all of the companies, including Avis, and she was correct. Her price could not be matched.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I returned to the R@L this last April, and did I love it! My first trip was in January of 2011 and this time, I brought my parents and sister along. Just when I think no one else can love it as much as I could... they did!

Bodden Town is a sleepy local town, which is perfect for those looking to explore an island's true culture. There are pop-up fruit stands next to the roadway and islanders fishing off the shore. No "coconut joes" or "margaritaville"s here, which is just how I like it. You'll need a rental car, but it's wonderful. The evenings are quiet-- only things that can be heard is the occassional hen/rooster, the sway of the property's tropical trees, and some frogs. Honestly, this is a perfect, quiet, comfortable, and relaxing stay away from home.

Now the Retreat itself is just as relaxing and true to its location as one would expect. The rooms are comfortable, clean, and exactly what you need. A good bed, a clean shower, and an incredible morning breakfast filled with local treats. Izona was our caretaker in early April and she was INCREDIBLE. We lucked out to be the only ones there during our 4-days (a rarity!) and she asked us every night what fruit or veggie we wanted to try the next morning. From caloo, to breadfruit, to plantains... she cooked our breakfasts deliciously. She even waited for us at night to ensure we had made it back. She walked us through the grounds and told us about the local fauna and trees.

If you are looking to avoid the craziness of 7-mile beach and are looking to a return to simplicty (but comfort!) then come to R@L. I've been twice and it's always incredible. Also-- there is a great snorkeling site about 5 mins from R@L, right by the bus stop in the center of bodden town. Last trip we saw dozens of fish, a ray, and a young barracuda. A snorkeler's paradise, but still oh so very relaxing!

Can't wait to return : )

-Cat V & Family

Room Tip: don't worry- A/C in all units :)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Bodden Town is equidistant from the main attractions scattered across Grand Cayman, making it a great base for those with a rental car who are looking for something quieter than a high-density beach resort.

The Retreat provided very comfortable accommodations. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud, while the en-suite bathroom was well appointed, and stocked with locally made toiletries. The room had a larger-than-average fridge, perfect for storing goodies acquired on our drives around the island. Our room was cleaned daily to virtually surgical standards, and the on-site pool was very well maintained.

Like most other reviewers of this establishment, we found the breakfasts to be a highlight of our 1-week stay. Being a small operation, it is understandable that a set menu is offered each morning, but the staff is happy to accommodate requests for the following day's breakfast options.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Retreat at Lookout? Share your experiences!