Our 4 day stay on Pelican Beach was awesome. The boat ride out was shorter than expected (about 45 min or so) and you're pretty much in instant chill mode once you hit the island. The rooms are nice and large with private bathrooms (at least in the duplex cottage we were in). Probably the most attractive thing about the island is being able to walk out and snorkel from shore. You can go quite a ways out and really explore the reefs just from shore. We did do side trip out to the Coral Gardens reef which was well worth it, as was the night snorkel.
Maybe the only drawback was a few unwelcomed cockroaches at night. I've dealt with worse and solved the issue of them by spraying DEET at the bottom of the bed-posts to ensure they wouldn't be making any unwanted appearances in our bed, but they were present and unwelcome.
The food here was excellent and there were plenty of snacks throughout the day to keep you full and happy.
- Also Known As:
- Pelican Beach - South Water Caye Hotel
- Pelican Beach - South Water Caye Hotel South Water Caye
- Pelican Beach - South Water Caye Belize
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Two special locations, one great vacation - South Water Caye and Dangriga! South Water Caye, our island getaway-seaside cottages and rooms with fantastic views and cooling trade winds. On a gorgeous beach, atop the barrier reef and within South Water Caye Marine Reserve. Snorkel from shore, dive, fish, kayak or do nothing at all. Environmentally-friendly facilities with separate student group accommodations. For the simple pleasures - spending time together, sharing new adventures and making new friends. ... more less