“Bliss Zone” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Beach - South Water Caye

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Water Caye
Pelican Beach - South Water Caye
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   South Water Caye, Belize   |
Virginia
“Bliss Zone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

My first trip to Belize, my first time snorkling, so I'm still gushy about the experience. Beautiful, unspoiled setting -- in four days, I spotted only one cigarette butt on this 14-acre island. The reef is RIGHT THERE. You slip on the flippers and fin out to it in 5, 10 minutes. Cottages are clean, comfortable and private with porch hammocks and gorgeous views. The staff is wonderfully welcoming and such a team that I had to ask if they were related by kinship or friendship -- they work so happily and well together. The food was family fare -- yummy but not fussy. Fresh squeezed fruit juice for breakfast and all day, then morphing into the base for the evening's fantastic rum punch. We had a potato desert one night, so sweetly delicious I could not believe it was potato. I've been vacationing in Alaska for 14 years, and it was just lovely to find the same sense of splendid isolation in a tropical setting. This is not a vacation spot for those who relish bright lights and a happenin' social scene; guests were couples and family groups. But bring books, board games, battery-operated CD player and you are set! Highlights included double rainbow, Mt. Victoria sillouetted against the sunset, star watching with laser pointer, full moon rise, and the squid that leaped from the water into my lap on the boat ride back to Dangriga, a Cosmic Roadsign signaling a return trip. Also ranking as a highlight was the oustanding service from staff -- particularly Terry, Leonard and Kevin -- at this Belisian-owned attraction.

• Liked — Cleanliness, eco-sensitivity, views, breezes and comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Not applicable. My expectations were exceeded.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
North Hanover New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

A grat place to stay and enjoy a little piece of eden. the staff go out their way to make you happy. The water is as clear and the snokeling great. I would go back again for a vacation.

• Liked — The water
  • Disliked — you are on a island and hard to see other things
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

We booked 6 nights and only stayed three on the island- the first night we were told that the boat ride we had booked 6 months in advance was not possible due to the weather so we were put up at the mainland Pelican Bay resort- shabby rooms and AWFUL fried food. The next morning we were transported to the caye, but people who arrived on every subsequant day said that they had EXACTLY the same experience, forced to spend at least one night at the (much less expensive) mainland resort. When I asked for a refund of the difference it was denied. RIP OFF!

The beach is ok but small, the swimming is limited and there is a very strong lateral current on the beach. I found the snorkeling to be really poor- small fish, no coral to speak of. I had booked because the web site promised great snorkeling- NOT! I am an experienced snorkeller and this was the worst I have ever seen, aside from maybe Long Island Sound... Of course you can book boat trips to other snorkelling spots but this costs extra. The manager told me that the current was always present- an inexperienced snorkeller or swimmer could have real problems.

Our cabana was a duplex next to the west side of the island- no view to speak of (we could barely see the water). 2 small folding chairs on the deck, two mildewey hammocks, 2 damp beds. Fairly clean unless you look too close.

On our third night on the island something in the dinner provided gave me food poisoning and I puked all night. The next morning the manager denied that the food from the dining room had caused my problem. As I had not eaten or drunk anything except food provided by the resort for four days, I find this hard to believe. I certainly did not find her sympathetic! Needless to say, we left that day- no apology or offer of any sort of refund was given.

We left early and wouldn't ever go back, especially for the VERY high rates charged!

PS- the sand flies will eat you alive!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Food Poisoning
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

We stayed there with my partner for 3 nights in the second half of May just before the start of the rainy season.
We were extremely lucky in the sense that we were the only guests in the resort for 2 days. The white powder beach at the tip of the island is wonderful and to be on our own made it even more special. You can snorkel to the local reef (although it was damaged by a hurricane, you can still see a good variety of fishes), borrow a sea kayak or ask the staff to organise a diving trip. The bird life is abundant especially the pelicans who will dive a few meters from you.

Do not expect any luxurious rooms, it is quite basic although very clean and pretty. The food is the same: nothing special but it was well cooked with always fresh ingredients.
The staff was extremely nice and helpful, always trying to make the stay as enjoyable as possible.

To conclude, it is not a cheap place but you will enjoy your stay there and bring back a lot of nice memories. It is the perfect place to relax and recharge your batteries.

• Liked — The location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ithaca,NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2007

We spent 3 nights on the Island and stayed in 'Heron's Hideaway." Since the tourist season hadn't started yet we were the only guests there 1 night and 1 of 2 couples there the other 2 nights. The staff was friendly and helpful, and left us to ourselves. The cabin was clean and simple, and the cleaning staff was excellent. Included in the price of the stay was 3 meals/day (usually fish, conch, etc; very delicious). They had beverages out all day long and we could purchase alcoholic drinks if we wanted. We were able to walk right off the beach and snorkle over beautiful coral and fish and we took a boat ride around to the other side of the barrier reef to snorkel around the spur and groove coral. Absolutely Beautiful!! They charged us extra for the boat transportation to and from the island -- I would have MUCH prefered the cost be included in the cost of stay on the island, but there were dolphins swimming next to the boat, so think of it as paying for a dolphin watch.

It rained a LOT - I recommend you bring a book if there is any chance because there is _nothing_ to read there.

I would recommend if you are looking for a peaceful place to relax and play in the water!

• Liked — location in relation to barrier reef
  • Disliked — some added charges
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2006

This is a gorgeous island, with incredible natural surroundings..You can snorkel all day & see beautiful 10ft manta rays about 50 meters off shore. The prices listed are a bit rediculous though. These places are relatively spartan, meals are very average & usually consist of fry jacks & eggs in the morning & the days catch plus a little rice & beans in the afternoon & evening. don't expect gourmet or luxury, but do expect a beautiful powdery sand beach leading to gorgeous waters & a very relaxing atmosphere. If you want to save a few bucks, spend your first night in Dangriga, take a day trip to South Water & ask if ther'es vacancy..If there is, you can often get a very good price from on of the few lodging places out there.. Al in all, a highly recommended spot, but don't expect what you'd typically get in a $250-300 per night place.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — wait till the last possible moment to book your room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pelican Beach - South Water Caye? Share your experiences!