“Erica and Ritchie were great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Beach - South Water Caye

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Water Caye
Pelican Beach - South Water Caye
You added Pelican Beach - South Water Caye to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dangriga, South Water Caye 00000, Belize   |
Lafayette Hill
“Erica and Ritchie were great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

We had some concerns about going to South Water Caye for four nights and five days. We were not sure if we would be bored stiff. However, after staying there, I must say we could have stayed there a month. It truely feels like a place you could live at for extended periods of time. Nice thunderstorms at night, bright skies during the day with a light breeze and clear stars at sunset. A true paradise. As it turned out, we were the only guests at Pelican Puch fon vacation since the other folks there where working at Carrie Bowe Caye for the Smithsonian reef study. The staff included one cook, housekeeper, one security one witress one groiundskeeper and one host/tour guide/manager (Ritchie). This is a very very special place that I am glad not too many people visit. I along with my family were very surprised that there were not more people there considering the beauty of the place. Even my 8 and 11 year olds loved this place more than some of our other stops during our 15 day trip (Seaside Cabanas on Caye Cuulker and Ian Anderson's Jungle Lodge in Caves Branch Area). Consider the luxurious accomodations and action packed adventures at Ian Anderson's Cave Branch, I was very surprised my boys enjoyed South Water Caye so much.

During our stay we visited both Carrie Bowe Caye (Smithsonian Research Center) and Tobacco Caye along with a few reefs for snorkeling. Do not even bother going to Tobacco Caye unless your goal is to drink heavily and litter the small caye with bottles and trash. I considered staying at Tobacco Caye, but after visiting there, I am glad that I stayed at South Water Caye. The limited space, disrepair and overall litter on Tobacco Caye is enough of a a reason to stay away. A 10 minute visit to Tobacco Caye is too long.

I cannot commend the Bowman family for their accomodations in South Water Caye and the very nice accomodations in Dangriga. True gems that I hope stay this way for years to come.

Room Tip: All room are good. We stayed in Sandpiper South and were very pleased.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Victoria, British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I have traveled throughout the Caribbean and Central America (20 destinations last year) and I have to say that this was my absolute FAVORITE place to stay ever. I like places that are off the beaten path and that offer absolute peace and quiet. This was it! If you like to snorkel or scuba this will be your dream destination. For me, I just liked laying around in the water and watching the sun rise and set over the horizon and then going for a good meal and company. I felt like I was on my own private deserted island, only with an awesome cabana with windows that had a view of both the sunrise (in front) and sunset (in back). The place is solar powered and they take conservation seriously, which is a huge bonus. The staff is amazing and they truly care about every guest. As coincidence would have it, I met Teri & Leonard at another place in Belize and I was already considering going to the hotel in Dangria. Teri told me more about the South Water Caye Property and told me I'd love it. She was right. Teri & Leonard will give you true Belizian hospitality.

This is the kind of once-in-a-lifetime experience you hope to make 100-in-a-lifetime. :) I'll definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Loved Dangriga, the hotel staff (both mainland and island)! My then fiancé and I chose this hotel based on recommendation from a friend. I can say it was above what I even imagined. The staff was extremely inviting and accommodating. This was especially so when out plans to get married was unexpectedly thwarted. But not to worry, the staff at South Water Caye, still gave us a beautiful "blessing ceremony" complete with an archway made out of flowers, sea shells adorned the white sand as we overlooked picturesque sunset. Other guest joined our “ceremony” and reception that was beautifully prepared by the staff; it was beautiful! My now wife is still amazed at the how much the staff made the event meaningful and memorable. Special gratitude to Leonard, Terry, Erica, Kevin for making us feel like family. Also, to Richie, our snorkeling instructor for being patient and giving us confidence in the water. To the mainland staff, who assisted in our many excursions and learning about the Dangriga, its people and traditions. We will be returning soon. Thanks!!! A worthy place to visit if you are looking to relax and to be taken care of.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I am still in complete shock! What a fabulous vacation, This place is worth the trip. The staff made it PERFECT. Having the opportunity to get to know the people on this little hunk of paradise and just how hard they all work so everyone can have that kind of a trip to write about is incredible. The cook Marlene was fabulous, Richie our host was the PERFECT host., Pablo -- was great, along with two others who's names escape me. Anyone who has posted less then a 5 star have absolute no clue. ( most likely they only stopped in too look for an instant gratification-so they do not count). Great place, Great people and Great vacation.

Room Tip: Easy to get a great room as most of the rooms are the same so you should not worry as you will be sp...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Pelican’s Pouch was fantastic--pristine and private. Our group of four thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to snorkel, swim and sea kayak right on the edge of the reef from a quiet, pristine beach with hammocks and comfortable beach furniture under shady palm trees for resting and visiting. We enjoyed sitting and reading in the breeze from the porch of our cabin (Osprey’s Nest) which faced the reef. Meals were set and prepared in local style with special attention to food allergies and taste preferences. Rich, the manager on duty, made sure we got to do all the activities we wanted and checked on us regularly. We recommend this place for anyone who wants to experience paradise in a relaxed setting to experience and enjoy the water, sun, sky and stars. Very romantic!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed at Pelican Beach - South Water Caye for 3 nights with our 7 year old daughter and were thrilled with our time there and sad to leave. If you are looking for luxury, TV, shopping, tourists and dancing at night - don't come here. If you want relaxation, gorgeous warm water, white sandy beach, fabulous swimming, snorkeling on a live reef feet from the beach, kayaking, cute beach cottages, privacy, quiet and hammock time - come here for sure! We were looking for a vacation spot where we could swim, snorkel, sit on a beach, read in hammocks, experience the outdoors, have family time and get away from the stress and boy did we find it.
Richie took absolutely wonderful care of us. The room on stilts had views out both front and back doors/porches of the blue Caribbean sea and coconut palm covered beaches. The hammocks on the front porch were a wonderful way to spend time reading and relaxing. The beach with hammocks strung amongst all the coconut palms, warm water, shallow swimming leading out to fun snorkeling over the edge of the reef and frigate birds flying overhead was perfection!! We enjoyed home cooked local meals with the freshest seafood you could imagine (let them know ahead of time if you have any allergies as the meals are what they cook for you and possibly bring some snack for picky eaters if you have any). Richie took us on morning boat trips to local snorkel sights (10 minute boat ride) that were just amazing bursts of color and life that we all enjoyed immensely (the water is so shallow you can see everything from the surface so even if not one to dive down you can enjoy the glory of the reef). We took the kayaks to the other end of the island for a fun excursion, played games at the central dining/hang out porch, my daughter collected hermit crabs and played in the water to our hearts content. Recommend the night snorkel for octopus, eel and puffer fish viewing.
This isn't a trip for everyone - but it definitely was for us.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We visited the island with a boat tour. Had a look around and this resort seemed pretty. However, they rudely told us to get out of their area, although we were on a public beach, I'm told they put up signs saying it is private, but when the local government guy comes around he removes them, and they just replace them again.
We were at the beach for a long time because our captain went to help a guest from Pelican Beach Resort as a favor to the management. It was during this time that we were abused by the resort staff, although we were just stranded there longer because we were helping them!
Stay at Tobacco Caye instead.. you'll save a fortune, it's just as pretty and has really nice local people.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Pelican Beach - South Water Caye? Share your experiences!