“5*s EVERYWHERE, FEEL SAFE DIVING THERE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Marlin Beach Resort

You added Blue Marlin Beach Resort to your Saves list
Blue Marlin Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   14 Miles Offshore Dangriga, On Top the Barrier Reef, South Water Caye, Belize   |
Ilexhurst, Florida, United States
“5*s EVERYWHERE, FEEL SAFE DIVING THERE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

After reading the reviews below, I feel that Blue Marlin Lodge fell victim of some inexperienced divers own mistakes. Don't let their mishaps prevent you from diving there, because you'll surely miss out on some of the best diving in the world. The staff is great, and accommodations are perfect.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I was at the Blue Marlin for a week and loved it! As someone who has been all over the Caribbean I can say that this was one of my favorites. If you are looking for an over priced resort feel where you can't tell the difference between being in Miami or even being in the Caribbean then seek elsewhere. However, if you want the real island experience and to have a connection with the staff then this is the place! Everyone is super friendly and courteous.

The island is small which is great because you can wake up and watch the sunrise and watch it set again later without needing to take a cab anywhere; in fact there are no vehicles on this island at all. This is a real island experience while still being able to relax in great scenic rooms with beautiful coconut palms just outside the door.

The food was great and the bar is one of the better I have been too. You never know who will tie up and stroll in as many from the mainland as well as the occasional sailors (cruisers) who may be moored off the coast do.

I spent everyday diving and snorkeling and I can say the boat/dive staff are knowledgeable, friendly, and made it a great experience. In reply to the bad review with Carlos (the dive master), that couldn't be further from the truth. I am a long time diver and have my share of bad DMs but Carlos was great.

The one and only con to this place is that I couldn't stay longer! I am a travel blogger and would never review a place I didn't like and I can't wait to do a post on the Blue Marlin.

I can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: I loved the little pueblo type rooms but if I had to choose I'd have one facing East for the sun...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Richfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

The last week of February was spent in Belize. A few days, at the Blue Marlin Lodge at South Water Caye off the coast of Dangriga. Where do I start... The arrival. As soon as we docked, we were met by the managers and a few staff members. Our stuff was taken directly to our rooms as we were given a quick run down on what is available at the Lodge. We actually spent most of the time just relaxing. The cabin we stayed in was one of the water front cabins. BEAUTIFUL. The comfort and amenities that were offered was just breath taking. I was amazed by the natural beauty that was maintained by the Blue Marlin Lodge. Food, awesome. no complaints here, and i am a very good cook and a grill master. We had three meals a day, and some snacks, and never had the same thing twice. Everything was very tasty and fresh. Service, TOP NOTCH. The best asset for the Blue Marlin Lodge I thought, the people that worked there. From the moment we got there to the second we left, everyone treated us like royalty. I will miss the amputated leg from the bar. A little secret, ask them to take you fishing... You will not regret it. That was amazing. I have been all over the world, but Belize, and the Blue Marlin Lodge, is by far my favorite place EVER.

Aaron from Richfield, Minnesota.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Two reviews on here tell a story about mishaps/accidents at Blue Marlin and one in particular places blame on Carlos the dive master. Obviously, I don't know this situation but my experience at Blue Marlin and with Carlos in particular could not have been more different. I got certified for open water diving at Blue Marlin and I give a lot of credit to Carlos who was always available to teach, was strict about safety and safe diving practices, and who kept keen watch on me for my first few dives. I did my first ever night dive on that trip and given the sea conditions--very choppy--I started to hyperventilate before we went under. Carlos swam over to me, immediately helped me find calm and then we went under for a truly memorable dive. Today, night diving is one of my favorite activities, thanks to Carlos. I would love to dive with him again sometime. He is a good guy and Blue Marlin Lodge is a terrific place to go for a memorable diving vacation. Bill Schulz, Washington, DC

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Don't whatever you do dive there....they almost killed a friend of mine who came up and the dive boat wasn't there...very scary. The equipment is not very well maintained and the young dive master doesn't know how to respond to an emergency situation. The food is also REALLY bad.....and expensive......Over cooked lobster..what a shame....The employees seem very nice but unfortunately unable to make ANY decisions without checking with their boss....Like may we buy some ice??? The gift shop is only open if you want to buy something...Really? How do I know if I haven't been in there? I honestly can't say enough bad things about my experience there...which fortunately was only 24 hrs.....I am glad it wasn't the only place we were boating to.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
violett, Manager at Blue Marlin Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for your constructive feedback.

Blue Marlin Resort has been in business for over 25 years. We strive our best to serve all guests and we are happy to say that for all these years in business we have never once encounter any problems mentioned above, therefore management has taken delicate steps to investigate and rectify this matter.

Our kitchen, as per other guest’s reviews has always received raving reviews on the food so it is unfortunate that we didn’t meet your expectations.

South Water Caye is an isolated island. Many would know, that getting a few amenities out on the island requires tremendous efforts, planning and expense a reason why everyone else on the island do not accept walk in guests. We on the other hand, try to accommodate walk ins as efficient as possible firstly taking into consideration the needs of our in house guests before being able to provide for walk-ins guests. With this said, supplying a catamaran does take a considerable amount of ice and our gardener would firstly need to check with management so as to know if our supply in hand would be sufficient for our in-house needs.

Our gift shop is open upon request, so if you would like to take a tour and look inside, our manager or anyone at the front desk is more than happy to give you a tour with no obligations to purchase.

It is unfortunate you didn’t enjoy those few hours with us and hope your experience didn’t dampened your perspective of Belize.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012 via mobile

I almost drown while diving with Blue Marrln Lodge . We where on a drift dive and my partner and I had to surface. We came to the surface there was no dive boat . The seas where about 2 to4 ft. I took in water into my lungs .and struggled for air .
15 min passed before we ever saw the dive boat. Both of us survived ,but the dive master never even knew we had surfaced from he and another diver. I was purple when I got to the boat and coughed up water or vomited for the next hour and a half . Oxygen was avaible on the boat but could not be used because there was no way to open the valve on the tank. I was given oxygen when we got to the lodge.Never forget your vice grips. DO NOT dive with this company. They are PADI approved . They seriously need to be taken off PADI approved companies . Again please never use this company they are simply reckless. My name is Tim Neske this happen to me Jan. 27,
2012. I have had over 35 dives with a PADI approved dive companies around the world. Again do not use Blue Marlin Lodge.

• Stayed January 2012
Oxford, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I have never stayed anywhere where I have felt more at home. I stayed at the Blue Marlin Lodge for a little over two weeks. The entire staff was welcoming and would drop everything to accomadate you. The food was amazing and consisted of a variety of dishes. The cooks would also prepare fresh fish from our own fishing trips. The restaurant and bar area were very cozy. The rooms were spacious, well furnished, and very clean. The views from our room, pier, and sun decks were breath taking! Snorkeling near the island and the surrounding area was the best I've ever seen. The guides know the area well and can lead you to some incredible spots. This small island is perfect for a peaceful get-away, and Blue Marlin makes the experience unforgettable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Blue Marlin Beach Resort? Share your experiences!