“Sad state of Sumidero Canyon” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver, Canada
12 attraction reviews
“Sad state of Sumidero Canyon”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We recently took the trip down the river through the canyon. Yes, the canyon is beautiful but I could not enjoy it because of the remarkable sea of garbage in the river. I did some math as we were buzzing along with 20 people in the boat. I counted about 40 other boats. After doing some calculations, I figured that the government could have the tour operators contribute something per tourist to clean this up. It's absolutely shocking. If you go to Youtube and enter "garbage in sumidero canyon" you will get an idea. It is a sea of plastic garbage and other debris. The ecological implications are beyond belief and seeing the tourists just happily going along through the sea of garbage really bothered me. As tourists, we do have some power as far as our dollars spent. I wouldn't recommend spending money on this until there is some clean-up done.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
9 attraction reviews
“Amazingly beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

If your planning a trip to Chiapas, get to Tuxtla airport and buy a tour to the Sumidero Canyon on the Grijalba River. It will take your breath away! My husband and I went there and to other towns and attractions of the state of Chiapas during a 5 day tour, including a city tour to San Cristóbal, El Chiflón Falls, etc. On a tour, you can travel alone, couples, family, friends. The driving is difficult due to the mountain roads.

56 attraction reviews
“Best Way to See the Beauty of Chiapas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The two hour boat ride through the Sumidero Canyon is the best seat in the house for the most breath-taking views of the Mexican tropics: mountains, cascades, alligators, monkeys ... just relax, ride, and take it all in!

Copan, Honduras
48 attraction reviews
“Impressed for all two plus hours of the boat ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This trip is definitely a "must do" if you are in Chiapa de Corzo, or anywhere nearby. The fare for the boat trip was 160 pesos. We saw the requisite crocodiles sunning themselves on one of the beaches. It was rainy season so we saw the waterfalls. I was especially impressed with the Christmas Tree falls. I have been to the Grand Canyon in Arizona and was equally impressed by what I saw here. Three thousand foot cliffs and about a mile wide at the top of the canyon.!!!

Do It!!

Visited June 2013
Creteil, France
6 attraction reviews
“Amazing tour with viajeporchiapas.com”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We took a tour from viajeporchiapas from Merimba parque at Tuxtla Guttierez for 350 pesos/ each including transfer and tickets for the Canyon and for Corzo de Chiapa.

Our Guide Mr Chamé (that I highly recommend) explained every thing about the Canyon and the City. We got the 40 seats Lancha boat. The Canyon is impressive and with very high cliffs, we had the opportunity to see many birds and Crocodiles. The trip is about 2h, we went until the dam and back. In the afternoon, we made to the city of Corzo de Chiapa, visiting the Zocalo and the church. We also tasted the Pozol (cold drink with Chocolate and corn) and few Chiapas Candies which are inspired from Spanish-Arab candies.

Finally, we enjoyed a lot the visit, it was perfect during the hot day. It s better to start from Tuxtla then from San Cristobal. The transfer is shorter, allowing you to visit during the mid morning rather than at noon.

Visited May 2013