My family (including four very well-behaved and well-travelled little girls) visited Orpheus Island in early January of 2013. It is the definition of casual luxury -- this is NOT a place for the pretentious "see and be seen" crowd -- but to us the atmosphere was unique and unrivalled. The staff is top notch in terms of warmth, caring, and attentiveness. The recreational opportunities (snorkeling, fishing, exploring totally private and remote beaches) are first rate. We had amazing trips twice a day to different snorkeling paradises on the great barrier reef. A particular highlight was the food -- every meal was absolutely fantastic. Yes, there is no "choice" , but again, food was vastly superior to every other luxury resort on the Reef. Seriously -- if we could kidnap the chef back to New York we would. If Orpheus Island weren't roughly 30 hours from our home, we would be there several times a year. If you want a relaxed environment, with understated luxury, fabulous staff and insanely good meals -- this is your spot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Orpheus is very much a secret to the outside world, a rare island hideaway of exceptional beauty!Located just 80km north of Townsville, amidst the magical waters of the Great Barrier Reef, the island stretches across 11km of immaculate turquoise coastline, and comprises of a pristine National Park and surrounding World Heritage-listed Marine Park. Access is either via a 25 minute helicopter journey from Townsville, or an hour journey from Cairns. The newly renovated lodge accommodates just 34 indulged guests at any one time, ensuring absolute seclusion and serenity! Offering the ultimate romantic escape, a luxurious family getaway, unique outdoorsy experiences, or booked in its entirety for exclusive use, Orpheus is emerging as the ‘new’ undiscovered tropical destination on Australia’s doorstep. Orpheus boasts a plethora of once in a lifetime experiences! Its principal dive sites boast 1,100 of the 1,500 species of fish on the reef; the local waters are a fisherman's playground and home to the most sought after reef and game fish species in the world; and guests can take the helm of a dingy and discover the many pristine coves and reefs that fringe Orpheus. Alternatively, Orpheus provides the perfect backdrop for a more private interlude if guests wish to simply shut off from the outside world and succumb to the pleasure of a unique aboriginal-inspired massage. Accommodation rates are inclusive of all gourmet meals, celebrating a bounty of locally-sourced, wholesome and freshly caught and grown seasonal delights, a selection of regional wines and beers, a daily nature-based experience, and the island’s signature ‘Dining with the Tides’ experience which allows guests to enjoy an intimate dinner for two under a starlit canopy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Orpheus Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Orpheus Island Hotel Orpheus Island
- Orpheus Island Resort All Inclusive