“A real thrill for 10 euros (or 7 euros for OAPs!)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Funivie del Lago Maggiore

and 1 more site!
You added Funivie del Lago Maggiore to your Saves list
Funivie del Lago Maggiore
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tinelli 15 | Sasso Del Ferro, 21014 Laveno-Mombello, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Laveno-Mombello
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“A real thrill for 10 euros (or 7 euros for OAPs!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

This was really good fun. Scared when I first saw the buckets (never seen one like this), but the ride was really smooth and great gliding up and down the side of the mountain. Spectacular views of Lake Maggiore. Get the ferry or bus to Intra, then the regular car ferry from there to Laveno. You can walk further up the mountain if you wish, or just visit the cafe/restaurant and enjoy the views. Only went here from recommendation of other English tourists. Not widely advertised in Stresa. Looks great at night all lit up.

Stayed September 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

We went on the funivia towards the end of our holiday. I had my left arm in plaster up to my shoulder from a fall so I had to be careful.. The buckets in which you travelled were open, and a few were closed in, but it was impossible for me to get into one as there was no handle on the right to hold on to, so the whole cable car was stopped for me. They were very scary, particularly the open buckets, but exhilerating at the same time. It was a dampish day, and few people around, but facilities at the top were very disappointing with only a rather run down cafe with very loud music, open, and the only toilets were holes in the floor!

Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Bavaria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Funivie is a unique place for anybody who appreciates a gigantic view on one of the most beautiful landscapes on the planet. The hotel facilities are aged, but receive regular maintenance. Be in time for the last gondola up the hill.... Better to place a call in advance before you arrive very late.

Room Tip: The rooms next to the engine room have vibrations until 11:30. However, you will spend any moment o...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Barcelona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for one night in August and had dinner at the restaurant. The 360 degree view is one of the most spectacular I have seen anywhere in the world, and dinner on the terrace was very romantic. The rooms are a little dated, but clean and very good value for money for this area. It's certainly worth staying rather than just going up and down the cable car, because once the cable car closes in the evening is when you really get to appreciate the view in total peace and tranquility - you only have to share it with a handful of hotel guests and staff. I'd also recommend going as soon as possible as I'm sure that as soon as someone has the idea to modernise and redecorate a little, the prices will double. As for the food, dinner was good, some nice local dishes and wines, and not over-priced. Breakfast was basic, but again considering the price and the location we really couldn't fault anything. Service was very friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Funivie cable car was a blast. From the start it was my intention to ride the cable car to the summit and then walk down the hiking trail back to Laveno. I didn't expect to be in such a old school kind of cable car (bucket), but I loved the thrill of it and the chance to be out in the fresh air during the ascent which I'd say lasted 10-12 minutes (just a guess). As I was solo, I paid the €7 for a one way ticket at the station. Little did I expect I would be ascending in a rather small open air bucket of a gondola. It's been said before on earlier reviews, but those with a fear or disdain for heights may not want to take the cable car. I needed a couple of minutes to get comfortable with the open air environs, but the thrill quickly grew on me. There are also indoor fully enclosed buckets too. The pleasure of being in the fresh air and able to have unimpeded views of the lake during the ascent wasn't lost on me. I loved it frankly.

I traveled up to Laveno for the day from my hotel at Milan Malapensa Airport. For those staying at the airport or nearby I took a TreNord train from MXP-Saronno then I made the connection from Saronno-Laveno Mombello Nord. On the return trip I was able to take a much faster and direct routing from the "other" train station in Laveno, which is about five minutes walk from Laveno Mombello Nord station. The "TILO" train provided direct service to Malapensa in just over an hour's time.

At the summit there are eateries, a hotel (or lodge?), and even a launch pad for hangliders and paragliders. I spent about 45 minutes wandering and ascending a bit higher than the cable car base station. Needless to say, the view of the lakes are quite spectacular. Aviation buffs also have a unique vantage point to look directly south at the parallel runways of Milan Milapensa airport.

The hike down back to Vareno took just over an hour because I moved quickly. There are signs starting at the cable car station guiding hikers down the hill. A good pair of trainers or hiking boots would make the descent/ascent more comfortable. I did my descent in a pair of Converse Jack Russell trainers and I'm feeling a bit sore now! Still, the descent will rather quickly take you from the trail to a paved road that is lined with small villas and homes. Frankly, this was the most interesting part of the descent from the summit. Being able to peer into the yards and homes and imagine life clinging to side of this mountain with a splendid expanse of a view was something I could do for hours on end. As the houses become more densely clustered, you'll soon end up back right by the cable car base station. From there it's not even a five minute walk back to the ferry or the Laverno-Mombello Nord train station.

My schedule was tight, so I didn't have much time to relax or linger at the summit. Do plan to make a nice time of it though. As I was there on a holiday there were plenty of families setting up picnics around the cable car station. There are numerous vantage points for photography. When hunger strikes there is a full-service restaurant, a snack shop, and it seems a bar too. You may even find a mild mannered black dog passed out under a fooseball table too.

Enjoy the views all around and the exercise on way down too. Your next beer or pizza in Laveno or beyond will be well earned indeed.

Room Tip: Sorry. I am merely reviewing the cable car portion of the hotel facility.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have been looking at Laveno from our apartment in Stresa all week, we can see that there is a cable car going up and decide that we must do this before we leave the lake. From our apartment we catch the bus around to Intra, from the bus stop it is a short 5 minute walk to the ferry station. We catch a ferry over to Laveno Mombello on the over side of the lake, it takes 20 minutes to arrive. The village is very pleasant, pretty painted buildings, we weave our way around the streets to find the cable car station at the bottom of Sasso del Ferro.

There is a choice of car that you can board for the 16 minute journey up the mountain, the traditional open metal bucket or an enclosed bucket, we chose the open bucket, and what a thrill that was. It is standing room only, fantastic views going up, even better once you reach the mountain station.

There are viewing platforms once at the top, and a restaurant, we had packed a picnic for our outing. Instead of returning down to the lake on the cable car, we chose to walk down the mountain, following the well signed path. This is not suitable for all tourists, you must come prepared as we did for the hike down, armed with a hiking book, food, water, weather appropriate clothing, good walking shoes.

Our guide book suggests that the walk down should take 2 hours, this was a good estimation, there is a mixture of path surfaces, dirt, grass, stones and rocks. Walking through the forest was so pleasant and relaxing, a wonderful day out from Stresa.

NOTE: WE WERE NOT GUESTS AT THIS HOTEL

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
the highlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

if visiting laveno you have to ride the funivie to the top and down again (10 euros return) at the top the restaurant/hotel has a lovely terrace. the food was good and the service also. theres a more informal bar/café on the other side of the funivie (funicular).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Funivie del Lago Maggiore? Share your experiences!