“Warning: Rooms are NOT smoke free” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel dei Tigli Angera
Via Paletta n. 20, 21021 Angera, Italy   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Angera B&B and Inns
Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
“Warning: Rooms are NOT smoke free”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

When I booked a room at Hotel Del Tigli, I will admit that I never asked about non-smoking rooms. So, I was a bit disappointed to have to make my way through a smoke-filled hallway coming and going to our room. We were fortunate to NOT smell the cigarettes inside the bedroom. As I am very allergic to cigarette smoke, this is a sensitive issue with me.

I felt the price of the room was high, but figured that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, so I paid for a terrace room. I was told that the rate included free wi-fi and breakfast.
Well, the view from the terrace wasn't much, and since it was raining, I can't say that it was worth the extra money, but we didn't know that when we reserved, and it may have been quite delightful had the weather been nice. But, considering that there were ashtrays on the table, we more than likely would have been subjected to smoke while sitting outside if it had been a lovely evening.

Also, it is worth noting that there is not a lot of room between the bed and the door to the terrace, so if you are a large person, you would have difficulty maneuvering your way to the terrace door.

When I booked the room, I had been assured of wi-fi, so I was not happy when I asked the manager what the code was for the wi-fi. He told me that the hotel did not have wi-fi, and he did apologize. When I travel, I have personal reasons for needing connectivity with my computer, so this was a huge disappointment to me. I deliberately choose only hotels that offer some sort of wireless. Allesandro directed us to a nearby restaurant where we could use the wi-fi. This was certainly not what I had hoped for and I was extremely limited in what I could accomplish in a restaurant, but it was certainly better than no connection.

I would have thought that a room reduction would have been offered, since I had been guaranteed wi-fi when I made the reservation, but such was not the case.

Allesandro was quite helpful in setting us up for touring the islands the next day. He suggested many options and gave us directions as to where we could board a boat to tour Lake Maggiore.

Breakfast was in a lovely room, and there was a LOT of food to eat on Saturday morning. We had a delightful meal that day.

We had expected the same service on Sunday, but much to our disappointment, breakfast was not ready when we needed to leave for our flight. Our plan was to leave by 8:00, and we really had expected breakfast to be open and ready by 7:30, but it was not.

A man was happy to get us some coffee and some croissants to eat prior to leaving, but we did not get to partake of any of the ham/cheese, fresh fruit, etc. that had been offered on Saturday.

So, although there were many plusses to the room: large, ensuite bath with hot shower complete with shampoo and body wash samples, large fluffy towels (no washcloths), comfortable room and plenty of storage space;
I was disappointed to find no wi-fi; heavy smoke in the hallway, and a limited breakfast on Sunday morning. We had paid the evening prior, to make things easier for our departure in the morning, so there was no way for us to bring these issues to the attention of the manager.

I will admit that had the hotel been smoke-free, had operating wi-fi, and an equal breakfast on Sunday, I would be giving the place accolades, particularly considering the convenience to the Milan airport. But, I have tempered my assessment according to my disappointment.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Graz, Österreich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

went there on business and just stayed for one night, didn't even have time to have breakfast though. The room I had (304) was nice and spacious with big balcony. The room offers everything you could possibly need (other than a bathtub). Have stayed at plenty of 4* hotels that were much shabbier and less comfortable.

Only downside I found was that it can get a bit noisy depending on hallway traffic and your neighbours. Other than that, a lovely place to stay where they really make you feel welcome, no matter how hectic things get.

The price (lacking comparison) I found to be rather on the upper side of things, at 95 EUR a night.

Room Tip: room 304 is spacious and has a big balcony. assumingly the other rooms on that side, overlooking a t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights with my girlfriend over Easter, had a lovely time, and would definitely recommend it. Some of the key points:

- Clean, comfortable and spacious room with good mattress, excellent power shower/ bathroom, TV (with BBC World and CNN).
- Heating - I was actually too hot the first night and woke up a few times but then I just adjusted the heating the next day which was easy and it was perfect.
- Free wifi!
- Good, fresh continental breakfast with all the usual things plus those tasty Italian blood oranges with the juicer machine (I had loads;) - also the coffee was fantastic as it should be in Italy and the staff friendly.
- Minibar - I know this is a small thing and most people ignore the minibar but they are a dying breed in many hotels and I like them.
- Excellent location by the beautiful lakeside and I highly recommend getting a boa trip to Stresa and the islands (Isola Bella and Isola Madre) which are simply stunning with the lake and mountain scenery.
- Very friendly staff eager to help me with restaurant bookings, boat trips, advice getting around and generally anything and everything. Plus the lounge area was comfortable to relax in and read about the area whilst waiting for my girlfriend to get ready.
- Good value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I came to Angera because I was working for the week at Ispra. The two hotels offered me at this time of the year (off-season) were the Pavone and the dei Tigli. I chose the second because of its slightly better reviews. First the good points. The receptionists and the caretaker (who spoke no English) were happy and helpful. My computer caught a dreadful malware virus on their unsecured wireless network; yet they were so helpful, even calling in the Caribineiri (who were useless). After one day, the same waitress at breakfast knew exactly what I wanted by way of coffee and brought it without asking. Good service. Additionally, many Italian hotels have dreadful heating systems – but dei Tigli’s was fine. It was snow and sleet on the first day but the room was warm as well as the lobby area. The negatives? My room on the second floor had no desk and was dreadfully gloomy. It overlooked a small courtyard. I am sure it would have been beautifully shady and a refuge from summer heat but in the dreadful March weather, it was depressing. In the bathroom (quite well appointed). The fixed shower head spayed not only the shower cubicle but all of the rest of the bathroom. There is some maintenance needed, including the loose loo seat and other small imperfections that a good hotel would pick up. So I am torn in my rating. I liked the hotel and its people; but the owners cut corners and fail to support adequate maintenance. If you like the laid-back touch and you relish the location right close to Lake Maggiore, you will love it. For me, I had to work in the evening and as I lay on the bed (because there was no desk) I could hardly see my computer keyboard even with every light on. If you stick out for a better room, I am sure you would have a great time – and one of my colleagues had a nice balcony and desk. The TV, by the way, has BBC World Service. The fixed price of Euro 95 per night for a single occupancy seemed to be the same whatever room you got - reasonable value but i wished I had complained and got a better room.

Room Tip: I am told that rooms on Floor 1 are larger and better - but I cannot vouch for that advice..
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed here just one night and it was perfect and incredibly good value. The room was large and very clean with a decent sized shower. Unusually for Italy the wi-fi was free and reached our second floor room without any problem. The staff were really friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. Breakfast was good by Italian standards (i.e. nothing cooked), but fresh rolls and croissants, fruit salad, fresh fruit, yogurts, cold meat and cheeses and the freshly squeezed orange juice was great. We shall definitely visit again when in the area.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
UAE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed there in NOV12 for 4 nights. Very good breakfast - exactly you need in the morning - not more not less. Room comfortable and very clean maintained. Free WiFi - and at a good speed. But, what really makes the difference is the staff attitude - they really make you feel at home. By heart, not by written procedures.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Very close to boat from Arona. Staff was very helpful. Free wi-fi in room and lobby. Free use of great bicycles! Very good breakfast with fresh squeezed orange juice, selection of meat and cheeses, yogurt, scrambled eggs and croissants.
Room was comfortable. No coffee pot in room.
We were there October 23 - 25, so, unfortunately the castle was already closed.
If you visit here, take the extra cab trip to a great restaurant Golosi dei Renghi!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel dei Tigli Angera? Share your experiences!